• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

machinist75

Pulled the exhaust manifold, heater box, air intake, rocker box, and everything else in the way so I can remove the last head in preparation of replacing the #5 cylinder liner. Not to bad but the Texas heat is a killer.

Truckoholic

This week I finally got my 24 volt LED cab lights mounted the way I wanted them on that narrow strip over the windshield. And this evening I redid my bumper and clevis's. While I liked the bumper numbers on there.....I was not at all a fan of the tan colored paint in big ugly rectangles. It was like that on the front bumper, and the tail gate. So I repainted both locations. Took plenty of pictures of the bumper numbers in case I decide to recreate them later.. But it looks SOOOOO much better now with the bumper painted nice, smooth perfect camo.

Animation.gif

Okay, while I'm having fun with GIF animations:

Driving.gif

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Continuing the air brake saga. Old brakes...off. New brakes...on. Ready for hubs, drums and axles to go back on. See the progress in posts 33-36 below...
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?140055-M809-series-(M818-Air-Brake-Retrofit/page4
You've done as much work in that thread as you've done on the truck. Nice write up. That thread doesn't pertain to me but it's been a good read all the same. There's a lot of good general brake information in there.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You've done as much work in that thread as you've done on the truck. Nice write up. That thread doesn't pertain to me but it's been a good read all the same. There's a lot of good general brake information in there.
Thanks! It's been quite the haul. Luckily those backing plate rivets are doneaua The plumbing will be tedious, but not hard. The front brakes will just be a swap with the drums/hubs being the only heavy part.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Artisan

Where and part numbers please??
I think I have a small pile of those barbed fittings, depends on ID of hose buts
looks like 1/2" IPS on the threaded side.

If you are not in an area that uses road salt the steel nipples will be fine
but if you are in a salt area I would go w/ solid brass nipples everywhere.

Good job!

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I have a small pile of those barbed fittings, depends on ID of hose buts
looks like 1/2" IPS on the threaded side.

If you are not in an area that uses road salt the steel nipples will be fine
but if you are in a salt area I would go w/ solid brass nipples everywhere.

Good job!

Do NOT use zinc/galvanized... use black/brass ONLY.

The diesel will eat the coating, and you'll have crap lodging in filters...

theanimal

Well I finally got to work on my beast so I changed one of the air lines that had a leak, I figured out the wiring problem with the transfer case solenoid and pulled a pile of wires out from under my truck that went nowhere. Now we can shift from high to low and it doesn't look like a birds nest hanging from under the truck anymore

tucker79

My hard top was about to be a convertible so I removed front glass cut out as much cancer as I could and mocker up some 2" angle between top of windshield frame and roof Major improvement Ill need to rebuild entire perimeter of hard top and theres some spots getting real thin on top Suggestions ???.
Also gonna try and incorporate a steel sun visor off the front of the roof
What gage sheet metal would u guys suggest??
PS I hate drilling holes in steel

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks