• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

tsmall07

Helped a fellow member out by swinging by and picking up his truck for him. One flat tire broken off front emergency glad hand and valve, and two batteries missing later, we had her aired up, glad hand short term fixed, tow bar and towing lights on, going down the road. The 818 pulled her slow up the hills and fast down them but had no problems moving her, even held 5th gear a time or two on flat ground.
Maybe you can tell me what I did wrong. I was trying to flat tow a deuce with a deuce and I couldn't make it through any turns. The tires on the towed truck would always turn the wrong direction. I ended up having to get my friend to ride in the towed truck and steer it.

Artisan

Thanx for the reply Juan.

So where are some good places to shop for these parts?

Are there any members who are advertisers who support the forum first I think
would be the right thing to do?

Is it a standard 5# fire extinguisher that fits in that holder on a M925A1?

A pair of "pantiehose"? Ha!~

Artisan,

The tire socket is a budd wheel double socket 1 1/2 and the square pattern on the inside. Napa or hd stores.

I personally recommend a set of belts especially the water pump and/or a powertwist link belt in an emergency to get you off the road as a temporary measure. the water pump belt is a bear to change imho. Another member posted he used women's panty hose as a stop gap temporary belt for the water pump and got 100 miles to a pair on a recovery!

Everything is standard so metric tools are not necessary.

You never want to need to use them but a fire extinguisher, road flares and or triangle kit.

Light bulbs for the taillights and blinkers since they are 24v, you are not going to find them at Autozone or most automotive stores for that matter.

Good Luck!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine did not have a fire extinguisher bracket. I think the Military uses purple K but all new 5lb units will come with their own bracket so I would not sweat that. Get a real refillable metal one from a fire ext dealer as the plastic ones at walmart and home depot are a joke and not refillable. DOT also wants a current inspection tag that a dealer can affix when buying a new unit.

See the top of the 5 ton forum for belt numbers and fuel filter numbers etc. Napa, Carquest or any HD store will stock those items.

I have only found the power twist link belt on line at amazon.

The bulbs might be stocked at a larger NAPA but if not they are going to want to sell you a pricey special order box of 10. Might be better to order from one of the surplus dealers a couple of spares.

Artisan

10-4

Thank U

Mine did not have a fire extinguisher bracket. I think the Military uses purple K but all new 5lb units will come with their own bracket so I would not sweat that. Get a real refillable metal one from a fire ext dealer as the plastic ones at walmart and home depot are a joke and not refillable. DOT also wants a current inspection tag that a dealer can affix when buying a new unit.

See the top of the 5 ton forum for belt numbers and fuel filter numbers etc. Napa, Carquest or any HD store will stock those items.

I have only found the power twist link belt on line at amazon.

The bulbs might be stocked at a larger NAPA but if not they are going to want to sell you a pricey special order box of 10. Might be better to order from one of the surplus dealers a couple of spares.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello folks After driving my 925 the other day I noticed a little puddle of coolant under it, upon further examination I had a little leak on the top rear tranny line on the oil cooler, I replaced the O-rings on both inlet and outlet on the tranny lines and no more leaks, easy fix!
KK

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New Command seat-Road tested and approved by the best co-pilot. Boy is she catching the "Green Flu"

Machinest75 provided the seats, a little welding and a little angle iron later- Most comfortable seat ever! Huge improvement.... As soon as I get the battery relocation kit in and secure another driver seat platform, gonna put the other two in.

Driver seat install 1.jpgDriver Seat Install 3.jpgDriver Seat Install 2.jpg

Last edited:

Interapid

Artisan,
There have been many replies on the lug wrench you need and everyone missed your first sentence. If you are getting a M925A1 (as opposed to a straight M925) it has the super single tires that do not have the budd lug system. See TM 9-2320-272-10 page 3-42 and 3-43 for a picture. All you need is the standard 1 1/2 inch lug wrench. Not the one with the square drive inside. Any 1 1/2 inch set up will work BUT it is some heavy work. You will learn how to hate if you are doing this on the side of a busy highway somewhere. The lugs on the right are threaded opposite the lugs on the left of the truck. My advice is to make a list ahead of time of 18 wheeler repair centers along your route and bite the financial bullet and call one to get road service. Better than getting creamed by a drunk on the highway. I saw it happen. I see you mention tire spoons, that's real funny. When you see these tires you will know what I mean!
Good luck! It will work, have faith. You are on a big adventure.

Well, looks like I now have a PAID invoice for an M925A1.
So many q's...the truck is in the PNW, I am not. A noob
I am. I tried a search, I seek a tool list / anything list of
what others carry in there 5Ton's, does anyone remember such
a thread? Parts that are notorious going bad to carry as well.

I have a 24V Fuel shut off solenoid that has been suggested as good to carry.
I am onto the tire tools, normal stuff. I would like a good list
of what is necessary to change a tire on a rim.

Rachet Strap
Impact
Impact socket sizes???
Tire Spoons
?

I am sub'd in anywho...

If this is the wrong place to post this please move...

jwesley74

Changed the Alternator on my M923 yesterday. Used a 24v automotive style. Had to drill the holes on the MV bracket to accommodate 1/2" all thread. Also had to open up the slotted bracket with a grinder to accommodate the 1/2" bolt up top. Good news it only required Pos & Neg cables to be hooked up. The other 2 are zip tied off so they don't touch anything. Furthermore, if I have future problems (like swamping it out) I can pick up a replacement at most auto parts stores now. I initially tried to have the MV alternator rebuilt. Repair shop said "no way" he couldn't get parts for it. It got real hot and windings were shot and it had voltage regulator/rectifier issue so not putting out charge. Ordered 4 new shackles (D-rings) as it was missing 2 and bent 1 last time it was stuck. Yet to come is new water pump, bearings going out in the current one, pulley wiggles. New belts, new diff and transfer case fluids. I have 1 broken bow for the cargo tarp, rotted so it snapped. That's also on the "to fix" list. Oh yeah, lastly, the starter or solenoid keep giving issue. Intermittenly when I try to start, nothing happens, just click, click, click. I have to use a screwdriver, jump the solenoid for a split second, then I can start from inside. My buddy says it looked like the ground was loose. So I need to check that out, tighten everything. Otherwise, guess starters coming off to clean/inspect and R & R whatever the problem is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks