• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

m816

This week we pulled the entire front axel from under a M816. We stripped it all down and determined that everything except the differential was toast. A used front axel was bought and reinstalled and we were running sunday afternoon. We then used the crane to finish removing the cab and bed from a deuce that we will be bobbing this week. How is that for a weeks work from an old dilapidated guy and an energetic young guy?

dezert ratt

Today I took a look at my tach-o- graph. The tach wasn't working right. I pulled the unit out and spun the tach pickup with a drill. Appears the unit is working properly. I think the problem is the tach cable. Anyone know if the tach cable is the same between a 818 with a tachograph, and a other 8 series with a standard tach?

seano11

Today I took a look at my tach-o- graph. The tach wasn't working right. I pulled the unit out and spun the tach pickup with a drill. Appears the unit is working properly. I think the problem is the tach cable. Anyone know if the tach cable is the same between a 818 with a tachograph, and a other 8 series with a standard tach?
I'd take the tach out and have a real good look at the back where the tach cable goes in. Mine died on me but would work on a drill seems the drill didn't turn it with a enough torque to make it slip inside the gear on the tach

dezert ratt

I'd take the tach out and have a real good look at the back where the tach cable goes in. Mine died on me but would work on a drill seems the drill didn't turn it with a enough torque to make it slip inside the gear on the tach
With the tach loose on the dash, and the cable tight, when I move the tach the needle works then when I move to a different angle it won't work. Almost seems like the cable is binding.?? I also spun it up to 2500 rpms with the drill and the needle was smooth the whole way. When running the truck the needle is always jumping around

seano11

With the tach loose on the dash, and the cable tight, when I move the tach the needle works then when I move to a different angle it won't work. Almost seems like the cable is binding.?? I also spun it up to 2500 rpms with the drill and the needle was smooth the whole way. When running the truck the needle is always jumping around
Yup mine did the same thing take a look at where the cable goes into the back of the tach I'm willing to bet its oval and not square anymore

peacemkr

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought my M813 last year. I did the basics first. Did a full lube and service, replaced all the wheel seals, flush the fuel system, replaced all the rubber fuel lines.

Modifications that are complete:
added 1 1/2 spacers and longer studs on the front axle to make more room for bigger rubber
put on 1600R20 Michelin XZL's with combat wheels
under bumper shackle mounts
HID light bar
level winder and tensioner on the winch

Modifications that are in the works:
replacing the Cummins 250 with a Cummins 290 NTC big cam
rear of cab exhaust with extended stack
passengers side air intake with snorkel
rear shocks
bullet proof glass and first generation Irac conflict armor
Gun truck build with twin .50 cal mounts
dump bed and bed mounted crane
air ride driver seat

Where did you find the 1 1/2 inch spacers? I've looked everywhere for them.

wsucougarx

Wow Steve, that must be the truck Del (Beerslayer) was talking about today. Truck looks good! Glad to see that front bumper got painted correctly. Those CL pics drove me nuts with the mismatched green paint...LOL. Hmm, Del was asking if I was interested in convoy lights. I said no. However, now that I see what they look like on your truck I may need to reconsider.

Steve1031

The convoy lights stick up to high IMO. I am going to modify the bracket locations to lower the down a bit. I only had time to do the driver's side. It was a PITA. The passenger side looks way worse, due to having to remove the muffler and possibly the battery box.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks