• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I love taking my 5ton to the supermarket and other stores. I get a lot of funny looks. Everyone thinks you need some special permit to drive it on the road I tell them yes a drivers license I get more dumb stares.

rneely

Adjusted the output of my Alternator on my M925. Needle was on line between yellow and green. Followed TM and turned adjusting screw counterclockwise just slightly. Now volt meter reads 27.9 and needle is quarter way into green.

MCTNKR

M936 Hoist Malfunction

I was using my M936 to re-position a 10,000 pound vehicle (XM-759 Marginal Terrain Vehicle) in the USMC Mechanized Museum. Once gently swung into position I was unable to lower the tackle block using the hoist control. It made all the right noises but would not go up or down. I didn't hear anything pop or snap but could only guess that I had stripped a woodruff key somewhere. There are about 10 in the hoist assembly so I wasn't looking forward to tearing it apart. I started by confirming that the hydraulic hoist motor was working by observing that the large nut that protrudes from the back of the motor was indeed turning when operating the control. So I removed the motor and found that I could turn the shaft it connects to with my fingers. That wasn't good. So I removed the access cover for the large helical gear (#45) that is next in line and noticed that it had walked forward (towards the cover) and was no longer in constant mesh with the smaller helical gear (#31) that is driven by the motor. So I slid it back into position, put everything back together and the hoist is functional again. Not sure why there isn't a set screw of some sort or a thinner cover that would prevent this. Just thought I'd pass this along in case it happens to another wrecker owner. Oh, and after all that work moving the XM-759 around, one of my colleagues climbed into it and it started right up for him!Pendleton-20130615-00056.jpgScreenshot - 7_2_2013 , 6_49_23 AM.jpg

HASSON1911

Whelp... after a week I just got done needling sanding priming and finished the green, sigh now comes the camo. I dont mind working on these trucks mechanically, but paint is not my forte. Post pics soon!

P.S. I read somewhere you cant needle the entire truck due to the thin sheet metal, well after doing the entire truck, I beg to differ, you just have to be smarter than the gun!!!

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
  • Trucklite LED floodlight (81250) installed on right taillight as reverse light.
Rverese Light Alarm (24).jpgRverese Light Alarm (25).jpg

On the 3rd there was an electric light parade here locally and the local 4-h club wanted to use my truck to decorate. There was probably a couple thousand lights and it was BRIGHT! About halfway through the parade it started POURING rain but that was the most rain we got here his whole year. Everyone still had fun even though we were drenched. If being in a parade makes it rain I would do it all the time considering our drought. The pictures are from the night be fore and are not that good a quality.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373139823.961746.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373139864.012618.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373139894.629522.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373139907.068825.jpg

I thought it turned out pretty cool. The theme they were going for was "A traditional 4th of July cookout" you cant tell from these pics but we put a porch swing on the back of the truck under the tail gate and had a couple people sit on it in the parade. Then in the back of the truck we had a grill with dry ice and water in it to make it look like someone was cooking. About 25 people were on the truck and all had fun even if it rained.

ARYankee

I had a request from some one a little over a week ago to recover a really nice M931A2 that they purchased at Camp Robinson so i put mine to work today. The GL guy gave him my info and said that I could get it off base for him and running. I ended up having to come off the fence on owning a towbar but luckily someone fairly close had a sweet deal on a nice new one still in the crate with all the trimmings for sale. Here are the pictures.

pictures 396.jpgpictures 410.jpgpictures 412.jpg.pictures 386.jpgpictures 394.jpgpictures 405.jpgpictures 388.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

hotbox

Today i turned down the idle on my injection pump. So, easy! Do this with the engine off. Remove the brass hex head bolt under the fuel line connection. Mine had a safety wire through it. Reach inside with a regular screwdriver and screw in or out. I turned mine a couple of turns counter clockwise. It reduced the idle from 900rpm to 700rpm. I also had to pump the primer to get the air out. I will drive it like this for a while, then fine tune it.

Makincold

Use my new shop! New axle boots, clean 2012 SS GA Rally rocks from tires ...

Well I used my new shop (24x48x14) to work on the M818 for the first time
First I found out why my tires were mysteriously going flat, the front drivers side had a rock the size of my thumb! from the hole my truck got lost in, along with 3 lbs of dirt and gravel, same issue with drivers rear
Also had mud in the right knuckle (both were cracked, but only got mud in the one that was submerged. Removed the other boot too but ran out of time to get them back together
Also fixed a fuel leak on the back of the injection pump
Tried to fix the tach which I have had issues from day one but will need more time
Found a broken brass nipple on the top of the radiator that goes to the surge tank. Had smelt coolant before but could never track it down. Now I know what to fix
Getting ready for the rally, October will be her before you know it!

Attachments

cx65083

Well I used my new shop (24x48x14) to work on the M818 for the first time
First I found out why my tires were mysteriously going flat, the front drivers side had a rock the size of my thumb! from the hole my truck got lost in, along with 3 lbs of dirt and gravel, same issue with drivers rear
Also had mud in the right knuckle (both were cracked, but only got mud in the one that was submerged. Removed the other boot too but ran out of time to get them back together
Also fixed a fuel leak on the back of the injection pump
Tried to fix the tach which I have had issues from day one but will need more time
Found a broken brass nipple on the top of the radiator that goes to the surge tank. Had smelt coolant before but could never track it down. Now I know what to fix
Getting ready for the rally, October will be her before you know it!
That is one nice looking shop there Makincold. Did you build that just for the truck? Boy is it spoiled! I don't even have a tarp big enough for mine yet let alone a whole brand new shop!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks