• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

therooster2001

I just have a hunch my axle vents are blocked up, and that's why I got some oil out of my pinion seal. I got some new take off ones in KS before, but I think I'll fix this for good. Ordered all the parts to swap my axle breathers to be be brought up to the cab. Did DOT fittings and tubing to an aluminum block. (3) 1/4 NPT ports are going to be 1/4 OD line, then the last port is my 1/4 NPT sintered breather. Plenty of older threads on this, but I'll post up the final picts when all the stuff gets here. (McMaster and the Bay).

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you bring them all up to the stack and drop that to one line and put a charging port on it,and you want to get in some water pressurize your vent line with about 5 psi and keep water out. Then remove valve core for venting.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
About once a month I go around with a bottle of soapy water and check the truck for air leaks. I found a couple this time around.

1. The #2 tank drain cock (yes, I said it) had a slight leak no matter how tightly it was closed.

I replaced all 4 with a new style I ran across a couple months back. These look to have been used on MRAPs and FMTVs according to Parttarget. NSN 4820-01-363-2117

View attachment 680992

View attachment 680993

2. The valve on the the transfer case, to auto engage the front axle in low, was leaking slightly around the shaft.

I disabled the valve a couple years ago. I'll eliminate it, and all the extra lines, completely after I get a couple of fittings.

I've never really checked inside the cab but I did this time since the T-case valve was leaking. The T-case valve is the same one used on the parking brake handle. Sure enough, the parking brake valve had a slight leak around the shaft too.

While I had it all apart I decided to replace everything down there with new parts. I replaced the handle, valve, switch, bracket and cable.

View attachment 680994

View attachment 680995

For anyone who wants to change their drain valves out to the quarter turns you can go to a #12110 from Napa. since we can't all be like swamp donkey and buy the mil spec stuff.

Attachments

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remotes can be found easily. Even if you have to rewire the plug it goes into. I did just that from a place in the U.K. Since I was buying a lot of solenoids from them anyway. I think $50 or somcan get you wired up.

As for the air lock, you need the owners manual or TM to understand it.

What brand is it?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Installed a trailer air control valve . Installed the quarter turn drain valves. And drove 2750 miles last week. I will be adding a normal air control valve for the truck brakes before too long in the dash since i am doing away with my driveline brake. 20170619_194934.jpg20170619_101840.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks