• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Another Ahab

Ok so I finally found the air leak and it is out of the air drain valve so I took it off and of course it is from the wet tank so it is pretty rusty up inside the union so I have ordered a package of ten to possibly change them all out. I will have some left over. I went around town trying to find one and they were all brass everywhere I don't like the soft brass so I turned all those places down and went with a fastner company called fastenal. They are on order so we'll see what they come with hopefully it will be a complete match. If so I will have a few for sell on ebay cause those boogers are hard to come by out here!
They're pretty well-known and dependable, and a w-e-e-e-e bit pricey. 2cents

But they're pretty much everywhere, on the east coast anyway.

191661650972-0.jpg

Mos68x

They're pretty well-known and dependable, and a w-e-e-e-e bit pricey. 2cents

But they're pretty much everywhere, on the east coast anyway.
That is true, but they can get the "hard to find" stuff though, and at least there they have a face you can talk to unlike McMaster Carr. Don't get me wrong I love McMaster too but I'd rather have a person I can talk to if I have issues or wanna make sure something is absolutely right before purchasing or ordering.

Another Ahab

That is true, but they can get the "hard to find" stuff though, and at least there they have a face you can talk to unlike McMaster Carr. Don't get me wrong I love McMaster too but I'd rather have a person I can talk to if I have issues or wanna make sure something is absolutely right before purchasing or ordering.
That's true, and all the staff in the few Fastenal shops I've been to all are more than willing to chat and build relationships. Their marketing is good in that sense.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Decided to diagnose my non functioning fuel gauge, always said I was empty. Found the float to have a hair line crack and full of diesel. No wonder! I drilled a small hole, cleaned it up, and brazed a patch over it. Quickly found out it was a balancing game with heat and made a new hole that had to be addressed, fuel sending unit works now, shows 3/4 tank when full but anything is an improvement!

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Thanks Ahab, it loves a heavy right foot! It's my "gas saver"

1974 AM General M109A3 w/Deuce Bed, White LDT, Whistler C, and soft top

Mos68x

Decided to diagnose my non functioning fuel gauge, always said I was empty. Found the float to have a hair line crack and full of diesel. No wonder! I drilled a small hole, cleaned it up, and brazed a patch over it. Quickly found out it was a balancing game with heat and made a new hole that had to be addressed, fuel sending unit works now, shows 3/4 tank when full but anything is an improvement!
Once I fixed mine it shows 3/4 tank full too, but it's better than reading E all the time. At least now reading E means to get worried lol.

someoldmoose

ALWAYS better reading a bit LESS but always empty sucks. Old man tip : when fixing brass floats, drain, heat with propane torch to make sure inside is dried out. Solder the patch with the same propane torch. Brazing is too hot. (as you found out) Here endeth the lesson.

If ya wanna "fine tune" the reading, bend the arm slightly between the float and the potentiometer to get it closer to Max. sweep. I am happy with 7/8 reading when it's full. Leaves 1/8 "reserve". Wut is that for an nhc250 ? About 10 miles ?

Last edited:

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
4-H Fair Parade Hancock County In.

I thought the truck deserved a Blue Beacon truck wash for the parade today. So I end up staged next to a GMC pickup with bigger tires (16x20's) than mine but I'm pretty sure I could drag him around like a toy :D.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks