• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

MAdams

I know it's ugly, but do you think it will lower egt's and keep the filer minder from going to the red? I just hope I don't catch any birds lol

This is just temporary to see if it helps with airflow
2017-07-29 16.58.41.jpg

Last edited:

Snowtiger

Lol yup that's my good luck charm given to me by my daughter and I promised her it would travel with me any where I go. The truck is the most fun I have ever had she is kept like a museum piece when she's parked and the best camper I have ever owned. The American M923a2 is an American legacy that gives me the greatest feeling when I'm out in the back country. To bad they can't build this kind of tough into new vehicles. Will send pictures of my living qaurters once there complete probably Thursday.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate when people do this.

I know it's not worth it but I really just want to drift back sometimes, just to teach them a little lesson of proper spacing between vehicles.
https://youtu.be/RKGa86aMay4
Hey, let me get six inches closer to that red light! MAYBE, I'll get there quicker! :roll::roll:

You should have charged him a drayage fee! He was darn near coupled up to you!

therooster2001

Made my afternoon walk around of the MVs and noticed a large amount of my 5 ton hood insulation on the ground. Raised the hood and out popped a red fox. Remnants of a portion of the tomatoes from our garden half eaten on top the cummins. Does anyone know a source for replacement hood insulation at a reasonable price?
I caught this pic of the varmint casually making it's getaway

View attachment 692128
I used some sticky backed heat and sound insulation made for replacements, probably $130 shipped, I posted in this thread on the details about a year ago. I am traveling, so forgot manufacture. Worked out great.
IMG_7390.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I did to my 5-ton today: I Looked at the odometer and realized that I have put 6000 miles on this truck in the 12 months since I bought it! This is the very first 5-ton I have owned. The beginning of the fever.

I Started the new winch bumper. Drilled all the holes in a 53" long 8" x 1/2" plate that will extend all the way across the front. My bumper has 4 holes drilled in it. I notice some of mine don't have 4 holes drilled in them. What are they for? Other than for me to use to start my project. There is a hole 1" from the bend in the bumper on both sides. But they are not uniform on each side. 12" apart on one side and 14.5" apart on the other. What are they for?

No pictures today as a piece of steel with some holes is really boring.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I added an overhead console and additional lamps to the front both installs went really well
View attachment 692565View attachment 692566
forget the console, I have barn envy!

Nice console too. Did you build or buy? I built one for mine. Well, I'm in the process. The difficult part is done. The framing, how I wanted it to go is done. Yours looks very nice.

Snowtiger

I have to confess I bought the bare bones console off one of my go to vendors known to this site, so I could add my own layout. The building I keep the truck in is heated and air conditioned so I am very blessed to have such a grand structure. It's nice to be able to use a mechanics trolly on the floor, I do have one problem though is trying to decide what my next purchase will be for a military vehicle. I would love to here others opinions on what would be satisfying.

tobyS

I have to confess I bought the bare bones console off one of my go to vendors known to this site, so I could add my own layout. The building I keep the truck in is heated and air conditioned so I am very blessed to have such a grand structure. It's nice to be able to use a mechanics trolly on the floor, I do have one problem though is trying to decide what my next purchase will be for a military vehicle. I would love to here others opinions on what would be satisfying.
I'm sure my M931A2 tractor would be very satisfying. Has 32 hours since a RR rebuild 2012. Unlike me, having to upgrade time after time, buying and selling, you could go to excellent.

Unfortunately what I would like to do to it, putting on a new stainless steel dump bed, is out of my reach. It's much nicer than my M929A2 and having the air brake control would be great for pulling a heavy trailer. I'd even throw in a PTO for the Alison.

Snowtiger

I could never part with my truck I only would like to add another one to my hobby. I have allot of ideas on what to improve on the old girl but the theme is to stay as close to origional as possible. Your truck sounds like another gem, it's hard to believe the military is letting them out the door in such good shape, but it's to our benefit. I don't know what I would do for ideas on repairs and alterations without this site. You folks are an inspiration to us Canadians when it comes to this hobby. I lost my wife in a car accident a few months ago and have found myself looking for a diversion and believe me this is not only a hobby it's my distraction from the hurt I'm dealing with.

Another Ahab

I lost my wife in a car accident a few months ago and have found myself looking for a diversion and believe me this is not only a hobby it's my distraction from the hurt I'm dealing with.
I am sorry. My heart goes out to you, Brother.

I am so sorry.

God bless the memory of your beautiful wife, now and forever.

Amen

Wagoneer

What a terrible loss, I cannot even imagine ever having to go through that. I lost my Father in an accident in 07 and I still pick up the phone to call Him sometimes, like when I got my first 5 ton.

These trucks are a great get away and I always "forget" my phone inside while I am out working on them just for the escape from it all.

Jeremy

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could never part with my truck I only would like to add another one to my hobby. I have allot of ideas on what to improve on the old girl but the theme is to stay as close to origional as possible. Your truck sounds like another gem, it's hard to believe the military is letting them out the door in such good shape, but it's to our benefit. I don't know what I would do for ideas on repairs and alterations without this site. You folks are an inspiration to us Canadians when it comes to this hobby. I lost my wife in a car accident a few months ago and have found myself looking for a diversion and believe me this is not only a hobby it's my distraction from the hurt I'm dealing with.
Snowtiger,
This is the first we've heard of your loss. In a very special way, we will be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.
If there is any way that the SS Chaplain and our "camo congregation" can be of assistance or support in any way, please do not hesitate to PM me. (contact info can be found in Post #1 of the Sunday Sermon's thread(s) linked in my signature block.)
We pray you peace and comfort from your grief.
John
SS Chaplain.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks