• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Scott88M

Mines my daily driver so I finally installed a stereo. For the time being I just tapped the 12v terminal which is also for the low heater. Not 100% sure why but every time I start the truck I lose my preset stations a little annoying but ultimately having tunes at all is a huge bonus.

Also over the weekend flushed the radiator. Going to have to install coolant filter someday.

ke5eua

Mines my daily driver so I finally installed a stereo. For the time being I just tapped the 12v terminal which is also for the low heater. Not 100% sure why but every time I start the truck I lose my preset stations a little annoying but ultimately having tunes at all is a huge bonus.

Also over the weekend flushed the radiator. Going to have to install coolant filter someday.
It's because the voltage drops below the threshold to retain the presets during starting.

Invest in a battery equalizer to keep both batteries up to par. Running the stereo and other accessories on the 12v side draws only on that one battery and unbalances them.

Scott88M

Thanks I had a feeling it was something along those lines. I plan on picking up a 24v to 12v converter because I also plan on adding a CB I just wanted a radio right away.

hklvette

Finished re-installing the CTIS last weekend, and will be changing one of the check valves in the air system tomorrow night that isn't functioning. The rear ABS valve is leaking, so I need to do some research to see if they can be rebuilt.

plode

Dynaglass'ed the plates I put down on the floor to cover the rusty holes in the floor. Did some preliminary sanding today. Have to finish sanding, and then apply a skim coat of bondo or something that I can get it smoother than the dynaglass.

I'm still not sure how I'm going to paint the floor. I'd like to keep the gritty paint like the military used, but I don't know what I can mix into the paint to make it like that. Behr sells grit that you can throw into the cans, but it seems very fine- not like the coating the military used.

Csm Davis

Dynaglass'ed the plates I put down on the floor to cover the rusty holes in the floor. Did some preliminary sanding today. Have to finish sanding, and then apply a skim coat of bondo or something that I can get it smoother than the dynaglass.

I'm still not sure how I'm going to paint the floor. I'd like to keep the gritty paint like the military used, but I don't know what I can mix into the paint to make it like that. Behr sells grit that you can throw into the cans, but it seems very fine- not like the coating the military used.
They use a crushed glass or Slag just pour it on you wet paint then let dry and then vacuum up the extra and then one more coat of paint.

plode

They use a crushed glass or Slag just pour it on you wet paint then let dry and then vacuum up the extra and then one more coat of paint.
Hmmm...I'm thinking about finding something like clean dirt to put into the paint, and take it back to Home Depot and have them shake it up real good in their machine.

Today after work I ground down around the screw holes for the passenger seat/battery box hinge screws, installed new screws, and welded the heads to the battery box. Cleaned it all up and primed it. Boy does that rubber coating put off some nasty smoke when it heats up/catches fire from the welding. Phew.
It was impossible to reach them when I was trying to take it apart and resorted to grinding a few of them off. Now I essentially have 9 studs, so it'll be really easy to install now.
Now I just have to finish the floor sanding, and it'll be ready for paint. Then back together again...and I'll be able to move the truck to mow the 8" tall grass underneath of it :lol:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually two weeks ago, I installed new shut-off gladhands with polyurethane seals all the way around. It required some minor plumbing on the rears.
SDC12412.jpgSDC12413.jpgSDC12418.jpgSDC12420.jpgSDC12419.jpgSDC12421.jpg

Yesterday, I installed a second tube type left fender to frame bracket on the right fender to the frame rail. After installing the winch, I found access to the right fender was awkward to say the least. The tube bracket on the left side lent to an easy ascent to the left side. The tubes act as bridge to step around the corner of the grille giving better footing. It did not require any modification, just a 5/8" hole drilled into the fender bracket. I just tightened the fender bolt first so it would lay flat against the fender bracket. It is canted slightly down to the rear on the frame rail side, but is nice and tight. I also applied some non-slip tape to them.
SDC12414.jpgSDC12415.jpgSDC12416.jpgSDC12417.jpg

PureMayhem

Shipped my truck to Montana

I loaded up my truck on another truck and shipped it 2,000 miles from Houston, TX to Missoula, MT. I had to take off the top of the exhaust stack and the spare tire davit and set the CTIS to sand in order to get under the 13' 6" height limit.:grin:

I will be reunited with my truck in July.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks