• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

RenegadeActual

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Previous 2 owners did near 0 maintenance on the cooling system of my M54A2. I replaced the waterpump, had the radiator rodded, replaced every hose, replaced the thermostat, replaced the headgaskets, had the heads resurfaces 7 thousandths, changed the oil, filled with new sca global coolant, replaced the in tank fuel pump, replaced the fuel filters, rewired the fuel pump circuit. And now Im chasing down and repairing all the air leaks.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Wreckclues

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My rig came with a 3/4 inch draincock installed in the air intake pipe. I'm assuming it was a modification for squirting starter fluid directly into the air supply as it made no sense as a drain being mounted on the upper part of the air pipe. If there was that much "condensation" in my pipe I'd be in deep cah, cah.
It was difficult to secure and would pop out if brushed against. Replaced it with a 3/4 inch bait tank plug. It's easy to remove for starting while being flush with the pipe when secured.

Air PlugFINAL.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My rig came with a 3/4 inch draincock installed in the air intake pipe. I'm assuming it was a modification for squirting starter fluid directly into the air supply as it made no sense as a drain being mounted on the upper part of the air pipe. If there was that much "condensation" in my pipe I'd be in deep cah, cah.
It was difficult to secure and would pop out if brushed against. Replaced it with a 3/4 inch bait tank plug. It's easy to remove for starting while being flush with the pipe when secured.

View attachment 921325
Like @US6x4 suggested, be careful with the little "giblets" of rubber inside the intake tube. Might even be worth removing the elbow and dumping it out. Yeah, it isn't metal but it sure won't help make your engine run any better or faster if it ingests a bunch of rubber shavings.

The bait plug though is a great idea!

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I fired up the old girl in a hurry and got her out of the path of this brushfire we had last Friday. It came right up to our fenceline, luckily I had enough time to get some water on that area so it didn't cross.

All told, it burned almost a hundred acres of nearby desert, but no structures were damaged.

20240412_190514.jpg20240415_104225.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I fired up the old girl in a hurry and got her out of the path of this brushfire we had last Friday. It came right up to our fenceline, luckily I had enough time to get some water on that area so it didn't cross.

All told, it burned almost a hundred acres of nearby desert, but no structures were damaged.

View attachment 921328View attachment 921329
Darn lucky that it didn't cross your fence!
What did you do to pump enough water to stop it there?

Happy to hear that you and your truck survived the mess.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks