• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recommend a good CB

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
R-B-T-Z-H
NO, 12 vdc. I did not know they made a 24v version. Oddball ball installed a 12v block and 24v block under the dash. easy hook up.

Danger Ranger

It all depends on what you want. Do you want dual whips? Do you want a single looonng whip? do you want a 3-4ft magnet mount or a fiberglass whip? Do you want to talk all over the globe, or across town with your buddies? Do you want the cb to match the interior of the truck, or can you settle with a stripped-down across-town radio? <-----I recommend the Cobra 19 for this. Its ~$40 and looks almost factory. I have this in my Ranger.

If you want it all, there is nothing better than a Cobra. The 29 model has many variations, but it only depends on how many gizmos you want.

Check out the cobra site for cb models.

Cobra is a good middle grade cb. I have dual antennas mounted on my headache rack.
I like your headache rack, where did you get it and what is it?

If you are getting a Cobra, go with the 29 LTD and then take it to a CB shop. Have them put in big finals and peak and tune it.

Where are the good shops for this in AZ, NV, CA or OR?

And does anyone have any experience with the international CB's (different frequency capabilities, many domestic ones can be modded to include the extra channels) - plan on using it in more places than just the US and wondering if a commercial CB is the best bet or a Ham radio that covers the appropriate band and can be programmed for the full set of freqs...

quickfarms

There is a shop next to the ta truck stop in Ontario California, it is in the complex just west of the truck stop

The Radio Shop
4045 Guasti Road
Ontario California
909 390 5056

Last edited:

TacticalDoc

I like the Army edition Cobra especially since I'm in the reserve. I want something with a little range too.

so the readio is about 100 bucks and to get it fine tuned it costs 150 bucks?
does it include antenna

Now how should I mount it on my truck which has a back flip on it? I was thinking on the rear fender or in one of the holes along side of my fender.

http://i41.tinypic.com/x1eej9.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/5oxawi.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/2nbyu6p.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/2wrdgs7.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/9hmhkj.jpg

sorry but tried 2x to down load pictures ... its not working when I use add reply

ii

Last edited by a moderator:

Goose2448

Well I like everything that has been said. I personally have a Cobra 29 WX NW BT(Weather, Nightwatch, Blue tooth). Weather is a must in my job, and the blue tooth is nice so I can kinda hear my phone in my truck. It does put out good sound with the internal speaker. Over all its a great rig. I have dual whips on my truck, was moved from the burb. 102" Stainless Steel whips from Radio Shack, with mirror mounts and 18' dual phased coax from the local truck stop. Oddly the mounts dont quite fit on the 550 mirror arms, but I beat them on. This setup works great. I pick up a good bit, and have a SWR of around 1-1.1. Just make sure they are grounded to a good ground. Dont want to short out the radio.

CB: $150 with free shipping from Amazon
Antenna's: $20 a piece
Mounts: $12 a peice
Co-phased Coax: $20

$244 to have a nice setup

Edit: 1500? I would go with a small mag mount on the top center of the cab. I dont know if dual's or even a single 3' would look right. If you are going to mount in the stake pockets, either dual, or on the drivers side. I know its function before form, but form is important in my book too. But if you like it, thats what matters.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ripcord01

It all depends on what you want. Do you want dual whips? Do you want a single looonng whip? do you want a 3-4ft magnet mount or a fiberglass whip? Do you want to talk all over the globe, or across town with your buddies? Do you want the cb to match the interior of the truck, or can you settle with a stripped-down across-town radio? <-----I recommend the Cobra 19 for this. Its ~$40 and looks almost factory. I have this in my Ranger.

If you want it all, there is nothing better than a Cobra. The 29 model has many variations, but it only depends on how many gizmos you want.

Check out the cobra site for cb models.

I like your headache rack, where did you get it and what is it?
Thank you. My friend who is a Certified Welder was bored and made one for his truck, I saw it and liked it, so I asked if he would build me one. The rest is history. The truck is a 2012 Toyota Tacoma. AC cab

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its not intuitive, but if you get a radio + external amplifier then the radio shop will actually lower the radio output power so as not to overdrive the amplifier input. Its the secret to not getting that distorted gobbledygook sound at the listeners end.

Danger Ranger

I would put one 3-4' fiberglass rod in one from stakepocket with the way your truck is setup now. Or you could drop a mag mount whip on the roof, which is prob a better option. Others have mounts up under the hood coming out in front of their radio antenna, or mount on your mirror arm. Its all up to you, its your truck, your CB, and your the one who's gonna use it. Not to mention look at it all day.:driver:

oilcan

1. does it need to get tuned and is it worth 100 to 150 bucks to do it?
2. what Coax and antenna?
3. Where should I mount the antenna on my truck?

1. If you're just puttering around, no, not really.
2. Go to the CB shop and see what they have in stock. Talk to the people there... Go cheap, or go big. It's your ride. Radio shack still has CB stuff, too, but I wouldn't count on more than a checkout clerk to help you.
3. Common sense says a ground plane should go right in the center of the highest/ biggest piece of sheet metal on the truck. But you can just pick a handy metal spot if you're not too worried about optimum performance.

eagle4g63

Just keep in mind, if you put the antenna on the front of the truck, the majority of your transmit signal will go to the rear. If you mount the antenna in the rear, your signal will go forward. :driver:
HUH???? why is that? Not doubting you just really confused about the idea? Would this also be the case if dual mounted like Islandguydon did? I would be putting it on my deuce w/cargo cover(not a box like he has)

Basically, when you mount a transmit antenna on a vehicle, the metal mass of the vehicle becomes what's called the "ground plane". The signal reflects off the ground plane of any antenna, therefore the signal is stronger in the direction of the offset ground plane. Back in the 80s, before the advent of the internet, we got our jollies and met people on the CB and many of us would have what's called a T-hunt. 1 person would park somewhere hidden, like a back parking lot of a business and transmit while the rest of the group with antennas mounted on the rear of the vehicles would use thier recieve meter and thier RF Gain dial to pinpoint direction from 2 different points to triangulate where the hiding person was. It was a lot of fun and shows ya how bored we were before the advent of the net.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks