• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recommend a good CB

Goose2448

Basically, when you mount a transmit antenna on a vehicle, the metal mass of the vehicle becomes what's called the "ground plane". The signal reflects off the ground plane of any antenna, therefore the signal is stronger in the direction of the offset ground plane. Back in the 80s, before the advent of the internet, we got our jollies and met people on the CB and many of us would have what's called a T-hunt. 1 person would park somewhere hidden, like a back parking lot of a business and transmit while the rest of the group with antennas mounted on the rear of the vehicles would use thier recieve meter and thier RF Gain dial to pinpoint direction from 2 different points to triangulate where the hiding person was. It was a lot of fun and shows ya how bored we were before the advent of the net.
Now that sounds fun!

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a Galaxy 959 with SSB for a radio and a Wilson 5000 mag base, 5' steel whip and a Astatic 636 mic.

I have the ant mounted on the middle of the cab roof and it works great.

Don't skimp on the mic that you use either, it makes a huge difference.

Bert

Attachments

unaffiliated

Now I don't want to piss in anybody's corn flakes, but.......I thought it was against the rules to post live eBay auctions. I think the Cobra Army addition is awesome however.

Matt65

I have a Cobra 29, and use a Wilson 1000 antenna with magnetic base. This portable setup has worked well for me between multiple work vehicles.

oilcan

I've got a Galaxy 959 with SSB for a radio and a Wilson 5000 mag base, 5' steel whip and a Astatic 636 mic.

I have the ant mounted on the middle of the cab roof and it works great.

Don't skimp on the mic that you use either, it makes a huge difference.

Bert
X2 on the mic. I forgot about the Astatic on my 2900. It does work well cancelling out the noise booming around inside the cab. I've been told my TX is clear as a bell going close to top speed in a noisy truck with the windows down. (Headphones help on copying the RX.)

TacticalDoc

I went to the CB store and was recommended the Cobra 25 over the 29 because it was cheaper, had more power and less gadgets to mess with. I was also told that I only need one antenna.

I was told that I didnt need it super tuned like the 29 because the difference wouldnt be that much in power on the 25 but for the 29 it would help.

So, why would anone buy the Cobra 29 over the 25 if it has less power? Just for the extra buttons?

Matt65

So, why would anone buy the Cobra 29 over the 25 if it has less power?
I think they are all right at 4 watts out of the box with more allowed on side band radios.

"According the to US Federal Communications Commission (FCC), it is legal to use CB radios for private communication. The FCC, in part 95, subpart D, limits CB radios to 4 watts of power."

Last edited:

Bulldog 4

I have had Cobra 29 radios in the past and they are a good basic radio. The Army version looks good but I would not pay that much for one. I like the Wilson antennas too. The best possible place to mount an antenna will be in the center of the roof. The second best place would be center in the front of the bed, on a metal toolbox or mounted to the front bed rail. I just read an article in QST magazine about this subject last night in fact. This is just my opinion: I wouldn't spend the money to have new finals put in a Cobra radio. I would instead get a better radio to begin with like a Ranger or a Galaxy if you want a super-radio. If you just want a standard CB just get the stock Cobra and put a good mic on it and that will do you for a lot less money. It's all according to what you want out of it. Be sure to have your antenna checked with an SWR meter after it is installed and properly adjust the length.

Bulldog 4

4 Watts AM or 12 watts PEP SSB is the legal limit and they all put out this much out of the box as far as I know. Any more and they wouldn't be legal. The FCC doesn't monitor CB very much but they do have type acceptance on the design of the radios. There are lots of mods that can be done on them, many of which are nothing but noise makers that aggravate everybody else listening.

srodocker

I got the Midland 1001LWX 40 Channel Mobile CB Radio

for 43$ shipped from amazon. has the weather scan on it as well. I did this one for the size. I will be pairing it up with a 102" whip on the deuce. if this one doesnt turn out as good as I want i will be putting this is the camper and getting another for the truck

bshupe

Cobra 148 all the way. If you have other people that you are specifically trying to talk with being able to get on the side band is a major advantage in both power and limited privacy.

I would highly recommend taking whatever you buy to your local CB shop and buy the "tweek and peak" and ad the upgraded finals as has been mentioned here many times.

With all the $.02 you have been getting you will be well on your way to purchasing a great set-up. lol

17 Legion

I see everyone says mount in the middle of the cab. But what about a HMMWV? Its aluminum body won't reflect the signal as well, will it? Any ideas on a HMMWV mounting place? Just need 7-10 mile range.

TacticalDoc

Cobra 148 all the way. If you have other people that you are specifically trying to talk with being able to get on the side band is a major advantage in both power and limited privacy.

I would highly recommend taking whatever you buy to your local CB shop and buy the "tweek and peak" and ad the upgraded finals as has been mentioned here many times.

With all the $.02 you have been getting you will be well on your way to purchasing a great set-up. lol

when they talk about power what are they talking about? I see they are all 4 watt. The guy at the CB store said they all come tuned out of the box...so do I need it super tuned.

They will be installing it for me with antenna. Also I was told that if I hook it up to the ignition key it might get some interference...is that true?

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
when they talk about power what are they talking about? I see they are all 4 watt. The guy at the CB store said they all come tuned out of the box...so do I need it super tuned.

They will be installing it for me with antenna. Also I was told that if I hook it up to the ignition key it might get some interference...is that true?
Factory tuned is fine but depending on your application it may let you down.

I would recommend a power source that is directly off the battery otherwise you may pick up whine off a heater blower motor or accessories.

Bert

oilcan

I see everyone says mount in the middle of the cab. But what about a HMMWV? Its aluminum body won't reflect the signal as well, will it? Any ideas on a HMMWV mounting place? Just need 7-10 mile range.
Aluminum works great as long as the antenna base gets a good electrical connection to it. A mag mount won't work very well, so it's time to bring out the drill.

ralbelt

I have a cobra 29 XLR. I have not used in over 10 years that I am considering putting back into service. Was this a good unit, would it be equal in quality to a new unit, or have CB's improved so much that it just bettter to upgrade to a new one.
It turns on but I don't know if it transmits or recieves.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks