• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M416-A1 rebuild in progress!!!

Datajockeys

New can be functional used replacement too. I have seen axles on Craigs List going for $50. Doubt you can get one re-milled for that price. Sorry for not being more specific. Remilling was my first thought but then cost of transportation and the milling itself seemed a little high.

2ndchance

If you are not trying to do an original restoration, you can just replace the axle. Some folks have ordered traditional 2,000# axles and added electronic brakes. Most axles can be had for under $150.

Personally, I don't think it looks that bad. I saw a guy hook an electric drill with "some" adapter to spin the spindle, and put polishing compound on a cotton rag. He spun the spindle and held the rag on it until he smoothed out any rough areas. It didn't take much. Just MIC it out and see how bad it is. If not, I would smooth it out, replace all the bearings, races, and grease seals. Pack the heck out of it with grease and reassemble.

If there is a trailer or axle shop in your area, consider having them just replace the spindle. They can cut it off and weld on a replacement. Cost is around $70.

Last edited:

2ndchance

I almost had to replace one of my drums/surge brakes. When I took it to Arizona Axle the owner said that Dexter makes a replacement. Basically, it's the same setup used on most boat trailers. I don't have any measurements or model numbers so I'm not much help on the axle. If you take your axle to an axle or trailer shop, they can take the measurements and recommend a suitable replacement. Most will scratch their heads when you call and tell them it's for a M416 military trailer. They don't have specific measurements, either.

trailita

hi
I,m restoring a 1967 M762 military trailer. I want to keep the brake system but my hand break assembly is totally busted.
anyone with a good one who wants to sell me?
thanks in advance

foxtrotavery

Just got a Parkhurst M416a1 trailer and was wondering if you would share where I can find the PDF data plate info. My plate is practically eligible. Any help would be appreciated.

2ndchance

Hello Foxtrotavery. I was never able to find one so I hired a company to reproduce one for me. I made 20 of them but sold them all off back in 2015.

foxtrotavery

I have a Parkhurst M416A1 that I am in the process of restoring. I see that you said you had a PDF file for the data plates. I called Parkhurst and they said they didn't have any info. and they had sold the rights to the trailer to some company in Canada many years ago. Coud you give me the source of your PDF files or send me info? My data plates have completely faded but you can see the stampings on them. Any help would be appreciated. Wayne Avery (252 714 7261) ffwavery@aol.com

762luver

I'm posting to this thread as it seems to be relevant to M416 restoration without starting a new thread.

I have a trailer with a loose bolt and nut holding my landing gear up and am getting tired of hearing it rattle around. I have the lock plunger and spring, but would like to finish the job with the plug for the hole.

What is the thread and "correct" plug for the landing gear lock?

Some people have told me that it is a pipe thread. It doesn't look right to me.

Thanks for the help.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I'm posting to this thread as it seems to be relevant to M416 restoration without starting a new thread.

I have a trailer with a loose bolt and nut holding my landing gear up and am getting tired of hearing it rattle around. I have the lock plunger and spring, but would like to finish the job with the plug for the hole.

What is the thread and "correct" plug for the landing gear lock?

Some people have told me that it is a pipe thread. It doesn't look right to me.

Thanks for the help.
I just took one apart and it seems to be a typical 1/2” pipe plug. Both of the NOS m416a1 surge brakes I have use a hex style plug while a complete m416a1 and a couple older m416s have a regular square plug.
4B27B073-1A59-4D97-8B2E-706F296D244C.jpeg1D5D2DCE-304A-4989-A633-C18A77AEDEAC.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks