• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

sf-97 help ASPA plz

redneck6x6sc

hey everyone im new around here i got a few quick ? im going to buy a 1971 m35a2 today and the guy that has it has the SF-97 what is on the form are they personal info on them? like that he has to go get the title or can i buy the truck and go myself?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The SF-97 is no good to you. It is in his name and he has to title the truck in his name first. If not it is called title skipping

With all the states changing their title rules, if a vehicle doesn't have a title , it is only worth scrap prices.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
An SF-97 is non-transferable. The seller needs to get a title in his name, before selling to you.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can try anything. I'm not familiar with your states requirements. Some states are much easier than others. Maybe someone from SC can offer more help on that.

hlcrkfrm

Tell him to get the title and then you will buy it, if he says no then maybe he might be having trouble getting one for it ? So I would walk away and find a different one.

Darwin T

unless the SF-97 is in a car dealerships name then they can transfer it. if it is in a individuals name then he has to do the leg work. he may be able to apply for a title and not plates (cheaper) then transfer to you and you get the plates. here in Texas we can get a Bonded Title from and Insurance Company but i do not know the process or if they do that in your neck of the woods.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check with YOUR states DMV office as to what they say. What happens in one state may or may not happen in another.

if you cant reggister it, it is worth only parts/scrap prices at best.
If this was NY, no title or SF-97 in YOUR name = no go. Many states are similiar.

Also, do not fall for the "call Broadway title or similar type of service" line the seller may use. Many states DMV offices have caught on to the game and it will get you nowhere except loosing $ and getting you nowhere.

turnerman

i have titled 6 trucks in SC and if the sf97 and the truck is not verified by a dmv agent (most of the time you have to take the truck to a dmv which = more cost assuming all vin numbers are correct) by the legal owner they will not issue a title in the owners name. The state wants their money. Trust me let him get the title as part of the deal or you are buying it as a parts truck. The guys on this site know their stuff listen to them even if you don't believe me.

cucv1833

I have bought 2- Items without the Title just the SF-97 and GL paperwork giving to me from original owner and its a hassle.

I bought a M1009 in Louisiana from a La. resident. He gave me the GL Bill of sale, SF-97 in his name. Then I had to get a personal Bill of sale notorized in my name with both our signatures on it and a State Police physical inspection done. The DMV requires all that paper work together. I then got it Titled and registered in my name only after paying BOTH of our taxes due to Title skipping

I then bought a M101 trailer out of state the same way and did it all over again. But being a out of state purchase I had to get a copy of the sellers drivers ID.

I wont be doing that again!!. No Title NO sale.

redneck6x6sc

he has the certificate to title from the us gov to take to the dmv i called him and ask him so is this good or a no go????

ranchhopper

could i fill for a lost time with a bill of sale?
This wont work the truck was never titled SF-97 means it was purchased from a government entity and was never titled. A quick computer check will show the truck is not in their system telling them it was never titled or owned by a civillian owner by applying for a lost title your perjuring yourself who knows what will happen then.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
he has the certificate to title from the us gov to take to the dmv i called him and ask him so is this good or a no go????
Have HIM take the truck and SF97 to the DMV, get it titled and registered in HIS name, and when he has HIS title in hand, then buy it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks