• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oxy/acet or mig

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used to lease my tanks. I purchased all my tanks now. I believe I spend about 70 bucks every 5 years for a hydrotest fee. I think it is better than another lease renewal. Ask your dealer

I have a 1989 Snap-on YA212 industrial mig. I think I paid about 3k for it a long tima ago??? It has miles of weld on it. It has 100% duty cycle and BIG amperage. I weld thick stuff with beveling the edges or plating. As a matter of fact, I sold my 225 amp stick welder. Don't need it. I love my mig. I have found I can find a comperable Miller taken on trade at the local welding supply for less than $600 today. The best part is they will warrantee for 1 year on the used machine. Call and ask the dealer. They prefer to sell you a new one so they won't offer the used one unless you ask. I use argon and would never go flux core. Spatter laying on your back is bad! Ask your dealer to let you test several. You will see the difference.

If I was on a tight budget, I would spend $100 on a used stick or $250 on a new one, or $600 on a GOOD used BIG mig and then buy my tank.

I cannot recommend a flux core welder.
I'm not a fan of gas welding, think about welding thick or upside down material. It is tough.

As far as a torch goes, you could use one unless you are working on a pristine vehicle. Called a fire wrench for a reason. I only use the cutting torch tip for heating or cutting everything. The other tips are not expensive if you get the kit. I dont gas weld, so I don't need them. I use oxygen and acetalene. it is easier for me to borrow a tank from friends if I run out on Saturday.

I got by for 5 years without a torch when I was broke.

I have broken off exhaust manifold bolts in the head, held a nut over the hole and welded the nut to the broken part and turned them out hot with a wrench many times. I have also welded an ear on stripped bolt heads or tight nughts and turned them off. Weld a nut on the brake bleeder and turn it out hot.

As far as mig in the wind, I use my right hand to shield it or a piece of plywood or a wet towel. Sonetimes It helps by turning the vehicle so I'm welding on the downwind side.

I use the old #9 flip mask. I tried automatic. I returned it. Ran the batteries dead on a Sunday night and had to drive 20 miles to get new ones the next day.

The best advice I can give is buy a collection of OLD welding videos from ebay. there are people selling a single dvd with many videos on it that you can watch on the computer. It is amazing to see what they did back in the 40's during the war. You will pick up a lot of tricks you will never be taught today. that is how I got buy without a torch for so long. I really could get buy without it today.

buy the videos and test a few at your dealer. You gotta find what you are comfortable with.

Good Luck
Dan

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
My opinion if you are just cutting off small things up to 1/4 thick get a matabo cut off tool. you can get one for about $160. and they will cut through steel like butter and 10 times smoother than a torch. When we hit the wall racing and the car won't go back in the trailer we use one to cut the car into pieces. Don't let it touch you!!!!!! The cut is so clean it looks like someone drew a pencil line and the steel fell off.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My opinion if you are just cutting off small things up to 1/4 thick get a matabo cut off tool. you can get one for about $160. and they will cut through steel like butter and 10 times smoother than a torch. When we hit the wall racing and the car won't go back in the trailer we use one to cut the car into pieces. Don't let it touch you!!!!!! The cut is so clean it looks like someone drew a pencil line and the steel fell off.
Do you have a link to such a tool? I've been all over the metabo site and the closest thing I can find is a chop saw.

emptyhead

Thanks guys for all the advice. I'll get a gas setup first. The boces in my area don't offer any welding classe go figure. I'll hook up with someone. Again thanks

Katahdin

I'm currently experimenting with the harbor freight victor style AO torch kit for heating and cutting. The kit runs a little over $100 with a 20% off coupon. I got the bottles from a local supply shop. It has the regulator that will screw into a propane bottle although I have not tried that yet. Seems to be nicely made, here's a video comparing it to a victor: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brhsHH_yqHk[/media]
However, although I went cheap on a torch, for Mig welding I saved my pennies and purchased a Miller 211.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plasma cutter, Oxy setup, SMAW setup and a Miller/Hobart/Lincoln GMAW welder in the 210Amp range.

A big stick welder can be used for cutting as well with a 1/4 inch rod, fun too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks