• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Choose your words carefully!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Being a crane operator, I deal with this all the time. If one of our employes aren't flagging we will have a meeting before the lift. I will find out who the flagger is and if he knows crane hand signals. From time to time they will say they know but will still screw up. The worst is a lot of times when somebody wants you to hoist up they will give a thumbs up signal. This is bad because thumbs up means boom up. I've seen some crazy hand signals before. When I run into this I'll shut the job down until they can get a competent person flagging.

I would strongly suggest if you own a wrecker or help somebody with their wrecker to learn the proper hand signals for crane operation if you don't already. Bad signals can get someone killed.

Attachments

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
She had a big Dickins Cider.

You see how that could go bad fast.

rofl
roflrofl

OK,ok, let me get it together here....NO, wait...
rofl

When I worked on the UP Railroad, I actually preferred using hand signals. The radio was an annoyance, especially when other crews were stepping on your traffic. On the railroad you never say "stop". It's "That'll Do".

The radios I currently use work off a repeater located in our building. You really have to observe the pause before talk rule. First the radio has to key up then the repeater. Co-worker have a bad habit of cutting off their traffic. Patrol units always start and end a transmission with their unit ID.

major519

I concur in the use of hand sigs. I work in a hazardous environment in the power utilities sector. We do installation and maintenance of large power electrical transformers. This usually involves heavy lifts in live stations, high value equipment and several crew. As I am assigned as rigger on many jobs, I always insist on meeting with the crane operator to agree on the hand sigs beforehand. Radios are a PITA, too much time delay, static etc etc.
When an operator sees a hand signal his brain turns that into a command almost instantly. Many times our environment precludes the use of radios due to excessive noise from other equipment as well as interference from EMF.

orrisd4

I really cant agree more on this , as it nearly cost me one of my arms.
I was working with my fellow mechanics hooking a pto genny up , had the shaft in place and was in the process of putting the cage on the outside , boss says turn er over.
As i turned the cage over the new guy turned the engine over.in sure you can imagine the rest of the details , 3 stitches and a couple broken fingers later im good, he on the other hand was fired on the spot.
Just goes to show be very selective of your words.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks