• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New York A3 Title/Registration Help

After a big sigh and one month from my long recovery, I need to square away everything with New York state. I'm looking for advice from current A3 owners on how they titled/registered their trucks in NY. I searched around a lot, and did not find much. I know there are historic/vintage plates, however, given the manufacture dates of A3's, I don't think they apply. Also, is there anything I need to be aware of when completing the SF-97 that can hurt me down the road.

Thanks in advance...

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you get the year and VIN right on the SF-97. I assume that YOU won it from GL, and are getting the SF-97 in YOUR name.. If so, you should be good to go when you go to DMV to get a title. Historic/antique plates are only good for vehicles 25 years and older. NYS DMV doesnt play games. Get the paperwork correct or else it could be a very long uphill battle with them.

Last edited:
Yes - I purchased it from GL and will request the SF-97 with the correct name, 6-digit VIN and year. I'm assuming the manufacture date from CARNAC should be appropriate to use as year? Also, when you register in NY is there any specific type of registration required? I only plan to use it for show/events?

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take the info right off the dataplate, exactly as it is on there. You want the Serial #, NOT the NSN. GL doesnt care about getting it right when they send you the SF-97 in your name, so make sure it is 100% correct when you get the SF-97 from them. As long as everything is correct, DMV wont give you any problems. You will also probably need a VIN pencil tracing to brign with you to DMV when you bring the SF-97 to them to get "turned in to" a NYS title.

NY is pretty picky about titles. There are no bonded titles or the like here. About the only thing you can register here without a title is a old trailer, and even that needs a notarized form.

In NY, if you dont get a title with the vehicle or a SF-97 in YOUR name, dont bother trying to register it here in NY. DMV wont.

Last edited:
Thanks for the good title/SF-97 advice. I definitely want it done correct the first time.

Any guidance on the registration/plates, are their any options/concerns that I need to know about?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will need Commerical plates due to the weight of the vehicle. If your only going to use it for parades and the like, and not carry big loads in it, dont go too crazy with the overall weight. Also, it does NOT have airbrakes. It has air/hydraulic brakes, so you wont need a CDL. Make sure DMV knows that if they try to tell you you need a CDL. Other than that, smile, be polite, and you should be OK with DMV.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks