• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what do ya know about driving a crane?

Deuce007

The other day we got a crane and today we went to drive it for the first real time because we just pulled it off of the trailer that brought it here. No matter what we do the crane won't drive/ or it will drive a few feet and then when we switch to another gear (ex: from forward to reverse) it will stop and sit like its in neutral no matter how much throttle or adjusting with parking break, transfer case, and drive gears. Also, the foot-feed always switches from one cab to the other. auaAny ideas?
the crane is a 1989 Harnischfeger Corporation, HSMC-25

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
TURN the CAB controls OFF, should be a switch that switches the upper on/off, with the upper on, it provides throttle from the upper, but limits other lower functions, plus should keep the brakes set, if a auto lower, should also keep it in neutral

It really helps to READ the OPERATORS MANUAL, especially for a crane, BEFORE a bunch of DAMANGE or someone gets hurt/killed

Last edited:

dburt

Here is a little tip about cranes if you have never used one. Always avoid two blocking when lowering or raising the boom or extending it out. What is that you ask? Well, when raising the boom or extending it out, it can pull up the block that has the working hook on it up very tight against the tip or end of the boom, and actually break the cable which will drop the block and hook even when you have a load on it, or cause other serious damage. You always have to let out the lower block with the hook on it out while you are raising the boom or extending it out so that does not happen. Maby some more experienced crane operators can explain it better then me, but from what I have read, it is the 2nd most cause of crane accidents, after tipping over, and before electrocution.
And I have seen crane operators think that just because thier crane is max rated at say 20 tons, they can stick the boom all the way straight out and lift 20 tons! NOT! The crane is rated at the 20 tons at very specific boom lengths and angles. The farther out the boom is extended, and the closer the angle is to straight out and 0 degrees, the less it will lift. One crane I have been looking at buying is an older Galion military surplus rated at 10 tons. But when the boom is extended out to 40 feet and at a 0 degree angle it is only rated at 400 lbs!
So all those charts and angles and load rating specs are there for a good reason folks!

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
no thay got a crane, at one time were asking about cageing the brakes, some body was in the upper, turned the upper/ lower control switch to upper so thay most likley could PLAY with the crane, but never put it back in LOWER,

sandcobra164

You can drive a HSHMC-25 from the upper cab, you're just limited to 1st gear and reverse only to do "pick and carry" ops. One time we had one that would only engage throttle from the upper cab but the steering and brakes wouldn't work from there so I steered and braked from the lower cab and by buddy worked the throttle via radio communication or "a wireless drive by wire by someone elses' foot" set uprofl

Ma Duce

If it is a crane then, LOAD charts and out riggers. old cranes like the Manotowac 4100 you could run by the seat of your pants to a large degree. They wer over built. But todays cranes are lighter and pick more. They will have a catostrophic failure before you even feel it in the seat.

And like dburt said watch the block if your carrying the load close tot he boom tip while raising or extending the boom so as not to two block it. What happens is the hook block will get pulled up tight tot he book tip and then you keep goign put more pressure on the whole assembly and something is goign to give, then the laod will come crashing down.

the name came from the old block and tackles wher the two blocks were run tight against each other and then usually snapped the cable.

spicergear

Most of the cranes worth the weight will have a limit stop hanging at the end of the stock capturing the cable so that when the hook reaches it the function will stop mast extension or cable in. Also don't forget about line parts when looking at the capacity for the crane. It may only be 4 ton single part line but 15 ton with a 4 part line. Lots to do wrong with a crane...

A friend worked at an equipment company and they've already had to use a portable air compressor to pump the air system up to overcome a weak or improperly working onboard air compressor that wouldn't make enough pressure to overcome the spring locks.

Last edited:

Deuce007

We have been able to drive the crane a little now but less than 5 mph it just feels like there is something preventing it from going any faster, also we still drive about 5 feet forward then switch to reverse and back up and then it seems like it locks up again and then we can't move it any more no matter how much throttle we give it. Is there any type of switch/ lever I have to engage or disengage to get it to drive like it should? Finally, It should be able to drive forward if the transfer case in the carrier cab is in high and it is in F1 and in the crane cab the shifter is in N right??

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
WHAT crane is this, KNOWING this would help a LOT.
in the cab, turn the upper/lower contol switch to lower, GET AND READ the operators manual

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it have a data tag with TM #s listed?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice crane score. Can you get the tires up off the ground with the outriggers and check for something binding? Does that crane have a TC lockup switch or and TC lockup release.

sandcobra164

PM me an e-mail address, I'll send you the powerpoint slideshow detailing "normal" operation as well as the TM's for the HSHMC-25 when I get to work tomorrow.

scsmith42

PM me an e-mail address, I'll send you the powerpoint slideshow detailing "normal" operation as well as the TM's for the HSHMC-25 when I get to work tomorrow.
Sandcobra164, I realize that your post is 7 years old.... but do you still have that Powerpoint slideshow and TM info available? If so I'd sure like to get a copy.

I'm in the process of putting an HSHMC-25P back into service. It's low hours (around 1,100), but it's been sitting for 10 years. I have the engine operational and it's moving under it's own power. I'm in the process of rebuilding all of the hydraulic cylinders, replacing hoses, and rebuilding the lift and boom extension control valves. Thx.

Scott

Cleaned up RF C.jpg

Last edited:

sandcobra164

Scott,
My offer should still be good. I'll confirm in the morning but I'm quite certain I've still got that information on my work computer.

Joseph

sandcobra164

Scott,
I have confirmed I have the manuals. It would probably be best for me to upload onto this site as the Maintenance Manual is 32 MB. It's not the typical military themed manual, this one is straight from the manufacturer which may be more helpful for the type of rebuild you are undertaking. Site Admins, Please let me know if you're good with it. I'm not sure there'd be a lot of demand and server space has costs associated.

Joseph

scsmith42

Scott,
I have confirmed I have the manuals. It would probably be best for me to upload onto this site as the Maintenance Manual is 32 MB. It's not the typical military themed manual, this one is straight from the manufacturer which may be more helpful for the type of rebuild you are undertaking. Site Admins, Please let me know if you're good with it. I'm not sure there'd be a lot of demand and server space has costs associated.

Joseph
Joseph, that is fantastic news! Thanks much for the willingness to assist. I just checked my records, and I do have one service manual. It is TM 09109A 34/2. I don't have the equivalent of any technical service bulletins though, or the powerpoint presentation that you referenced. What's the version of the manuals that you have?

Mods, I have a parts manual (12.7mb) and an operators manual (20mb w/o safety video) that I can upload if desired.

Thanks.

Scott

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks