• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G'day from Western Australia

Recy Mech

Thanks guys & gals

So far in my short stay here (Steel Soldiers) I've enjoyed reading many of the threads and you people (is that correct english?) have some fantastic rides....much to my envy.

Anyway, makes me more determined to get me a Deuce.

Cheers & beers to all

Recy. [thumbzup]

downunder

Welcome to SS

G'day Recy,

Welcome to Steel Soldiers mate! Glad to bump into someone who also has interest in Bringing an M35A2 to the Big Island Down Under. I started Rolling the Ball a couple of years ago to discover it to be quite difficult to Export a Military Truck out of the US as these vehicles were only to be sold to US Citizens No exporting to Foriegn countries.

However it is somewhat different now as it can be done. Based on my Research, people i have spoken to on SS, Gov Depts, Customs, AQIS, this is my Plan as follows.

Two ways of shipping a Truck to AUS 1. Roll on Roll off 2. Partly dismantle the Truck to fit into a 40"Foot High Cube container. Two M818's were shipped to NSW in Containers for the new Mad Max Movie about a year ago. Aparantley the movie is being made in sth Africa all prop vehicles got exported there, crazy!

Apply for an Import Approval from The Department of Infrastructure & Transport prior to Purchasing a Vehicle.

Another Certificate to get is one from the ADF DECO Defence Export Control Office. Apply For International Import Certificate as it a Military Vehicle. Customs got all uptight as soon as i mentioned Importing Military Vehicle to them. Then the Department of Infrastructure said i dont need it as im not importing a Tracked Vehicle as in a Abrams Tank LoL but just have the form incase! for gods sake its a De Commissioned Army Truck!

Any Vehicle dated pre 1989 Imported to Australia falls into the pre 89 scheme meaning you do not have to Pay Import Duty as the Truck is older than 30 years. pretty cool huh? You only need to Pay GST, Customs, AQIS Quarrantine & Port Fees.

Option 1. Buy from the East US. I am going to buy a Truck From Dave Newman at Eastern Surplus in Philadelphia, the Truck is going to be Serviced, Cleaned & Re Painted inside and out. may even put new tyres on too. I may make a Holiday of it and go up there for a couple of weeks to purchase a Truck and help work on it etc. or if a member from SS Forum can inspect a Vehicle for me and yes they will get paid too. always best to look and try before you buy.....!

It will then be Transported by Truck to a SeaPort in Baltimore which is approx 2hrs Drive from Philia. If i go there i'll probably drive it myself to Balti. Then chuck it on a Ship Roll on Roll off to Melbourne.

Option 2. Buy from the West Coast US. May buy a truck from 100dollarman. West coast Export Roll on Roll off may be cheaper than the East! as the ships got go through Panama. West is the Pacific Ocean straight to Aus.

My plans here in Melbourne is to Get the Truck on Club Plates with the VMVC Victorian Military Vehicle Corps an awesome club i must say! Shannons said they will give me Comprehensive Insurance on the Truck. Vic Roads also said no problems the Vehicle is left hand drive and older than 25 years so no RHD Conversion required.

My main Concern is AQIS Customs Quarrantine as i have been told if your unlucky will break your #$$^LLS if they find any contamination, dirt, bugs, foreign contaminants etc. blah blah! not trying to scare you but just be aware.

It's been a long time ambition of mine and still going to persue it.........!

Anyways take care and PM me happy to talk M35's over the phone & to excange info etc.

Cheers,

Chris:cool:

Last edited:

Recy Mech

Cheers mate

Mate you have just saved me a sh1tload of research, for that I'll buy ya beers....or give you my next new-born :grin:

Well, well, well (3 holes in the ground) Melbourne you say. What the future holds for me is that we (missus & me) are relocating back to Melbourne, that's when I intend to purchase the Deuce.

I'll PM ya mate....standby.

Recy Mech

I've got a rat-cunning plan brewing up. Like the idea of purchasing a Deuce somewhere say West Coast and drive it to a Ro-Ro ship bound for Oz(Melbourne).

Tell the missus - "Hey darl, wanna holiday in USA say Vegas." little does she know that I'll spring the surprise "it followed me home, honest hon." Actually she's got a brother living in portland, Oregan. So I'm thinking any chance of her getting to the states she'll be happy, and I'll 'be happy when I'lve got the Deuce - a typical Win-Win situation. :jumpin:

srs78

I've got a rat-cunning plan brewing up. Like the idea of purchasing a Deuce somewhere say West Coast and drive it to a Ro-Ro ship bound for Oz(Melbourne).

Tell the missus - "Hey darl, wanna holiday in USA say Vegas." little does she know that I'll spring the surprise "it followed me home, honest hon." Actually she's got a brother living in portland, Oregan. So I'm thinking any chance of her getting to the states she'll be happy, and I'll 'be happy when I'lve got the Deuce - a typical Win-Win situation. :jumpin:
True GENIUS mate! [thumbzup] Cheers and the best of luck! :p

srs78

G'day Recy,

Welcome to Steel Soldiers mate! Glad to bump into someone who also has interest in Bringing an M35A2 to the Big Island Down Under. I started Rolling the Ball a couple of years ago to discover it to be quite difficult to Export a Military Truck out of the US as these vehicles were only to be sold to US Citizens No exporting to Foriegn countries.

However it is somewhat different now as it can be done. Based on my Research, people i have spoken to on SS, Gov Depts, Customs, AQIS, this is my Plan as follows.

Two ways of shipping a Truck to AUS 1. Roll on Roll off 2. Partly dismantle the Truck to fit into a 40"Foot High Cube container. Two M818's were shipped to NSW in Containers for the new Mad Max Movie about a year ago. Aparantley the movie is being made in sth Africa all prop vehicles got exported there, crazy!

Apply for an Import Approval from The Department of Infrastructure & Transport prior to Purchasing a Vehicle.

Another Certificate to get is one from the ADF DECO Defence Export Control Office. Apply For International Import Certificate as it a Military Vehicle. Customs got all uptight as soon as i mentioned Importing Military Vehicle to them. Then the Department of Infrastructure said i dont need it as im not importing a Tracked Vehicle as in a Abrams Tank LoL but just have the form incase! for gods sake its a De Commissioned Army Truck!

Any Vehicle dated pre 1989 Imported to Australia falls into the pre 89 scheme meaning you do not have to Pay Import Duty as the Truck is older than 30 years. pretty cool huh? You only need to Pay GST, Customs, AQIS Quarrantine & Port Fees.

Option 1. Buy from the East US. I am going to buy a Truck From Dave Newman at Eastern Surplus in Philadelphia, the Truck is going to be Serviced, Cleaned & Re Painted inside and out. may even put new tyres on too. I may make a Holiday of it and go up there for a couple of weeks to purchase a Truck and help work on it etc. or if a member from SS Forum can inspect a Vehicle for me and yes they will get paid too. always best to look and try before you buy.....!

It will then be Transported by Truck to a SeaPort in Baltimore which is approx 2hrs Drive from Philia. If i go there i'll probably drive it myself to Balti. Then chuck it on a Ship Roll on Roll off to Melbourne.

Option 2. Buy from the West Coast US. May buy a truck from 100dollarman. West coast Export Roll on Roll off may be cheaper than the East! as the ships got go through Panama. West is the Pacific Ocean straight to Aus.

My plans here in Melbourne is to Get the Truck on Club Plates with the VMVC Victorian Military Vehicle Corps an awesome club i must say! Shannons said they will give me Comprehensive Insurance on the Truck. Vic Roads also said no problems the Vehicle is left hand drive and older than 25 years so no RHD Conversion required.

My main Concern is AQIS Customs Quarrantine as i have been told if your unlucky will break your #$$^LLS if they find any contamination, dirt, bugs, foreign contaminants etc. blah blah! not trying to scare you but just be aware.

It's been a long time ambition of mine and still going to persue it.........!
Colonel "Hannibal" Smith would love your plan! [thumbzup]

Recy Mech

Colonel "Hannibal" Smith would love your plan! [thumbzup]
That plan has just saved me 12 months and endless hours gnashing of teeth. When I catch up with downunder looks like I'll be shouting beers or 'Bundy Rum for the night. :beer:

Already posted off an enquiry......not trying to be too eager......just baby steps. Trying to get a guesstimate of the cost before I spring it on the missus. Have to save up for the holiday as well.

srs78

Well as one saying goes "...the journey of a thousand miles starts with the FIRST step." Of course it goes without saying that you"re stepping in the RIGHT direction. Cheers! :p

spicergear

I went to the Mad Max Museum in Silverton, N.S.W. when I was down. Whew...heck of drive from Sydney! They were supposed to be filming the new movie but because of the super wet spring thier post apocalyptic outback scene was lush and green so they post poned it for a while. I hadn't heard moving to South Africa...wow, that's a massive mobilization since the vehicles for the movie were already built and waiting.

skidder

Cheers From north west conn. Its good to see another MV'er from down under, welcome to to the madness lol O don't mess with the wifes flowers you might have a flat tire on the duce lol Skidder

Recy Mech

Cheers for all the support.........might have to get to know a lawyer re: 'she who must be obeyed' mighten like a dirty great big truck parked on her Aspidistra's :whistle:
"What?" I reply :grin:

johnh uk

Cheers for all the support.........might have to get to know a lawyer re: 'she who must be obeyed' mighten like a dirty great big truck parked on her Aspidistra's :whistle:
"What?" I reply :grin:
Hello Mate,

Just tell her that it is the new era of utility vehicles ! so much more versatile than the Landcruiser or Surf !

At least you have nice wide roads over there, the Deuce will just eat the miles !

She who must be obeyed has all but forgiven me, yesterday I collected a flat pack 10x8 shed from a local DIY store for my son, drew a crowd of onlookers, nice warm feeling when the sales guy says " are you sure you have a truck big enough to take this away"???:jumpin:

Hope your plans come good !:cool:

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Australian MV graveyard

Welcome.

A short walkabout down under!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB7zzvnFlYY[/media]

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
welcome from the swampland of louisiana. hope to see you post pics of your beautiful country side. and of you driving your duece around the outback. :jumpin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks