• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tatra 813 Conversion to Cummins 8.3L

noveske

So, I am an idiot and all, and I let my super sweet 813 engine meet its maker's maker. So rather than fuss around with OEM parts and all, I am dropping in a Cummins 8.3L Turbo. It puts out about 50% more power depending on how it is tuned, and hopefully is a little lighter. The gear box and engine are separated by a drive line, so no bell housing problems. I am removing the fuel tanks from the sides, and putting a single aluminum tank on the back of the cab. The air will be snorkeled to the rear top of the cab. The radiator is going to mounted to the top rear of the cab with a hydraulic motor. This will allow me to plate up the front for killing trees. I think the process may be of interest to some, so I will try to document it here to a degree. It may not be a purist's route, but..........I don't live in my patriarchal vaterland.

Attachments

T815-8x8

All Terrain did similar in Alaska, but used 3406 Cats with Allison, I will be doing a US power conversion so I can be DOT legal for commercial work I'll be going DD series 60 12.7L 500bhp with Allison replacing OE tran's with drive adapter

tatra813

sounds great.....let me know how both you guys projects work out, I may do the same to one of mine. More power and less noise and heat in the cab would be welcome............but you got the love the v12 sound!

tatra813

All Terrain did similar in Alaska, but used 3406 Cats with Allison, I will be doing a US power conversion so I can be DOT legal for commercial work I'll be going DD series 60 12.7L 500bhp with Allison replacing OE tran's with drive adapter

does all terrain still have the Tatra?

tatra813

So, I am an idiot and all, and I let my super sweet 813 engine meet its maker's maker. So rather than fuss around with OEM parts and all, I am dropping in a Cummins 8.3L Turbo. It puts out about 50% more power depending on how it is tuned, and hopefully is a little lighter. The gear box and engine are separated by a drive line, so no bell housing problems. I am removing the fuel tanks from the sides, and putting a single aluminum tank on the back of the cab. The air will be snorkeled to the rear top of the cab. The radiator is going to mounted to the top rear of the cab with a hydraulic motor. This will allow me to plate up the front for killing trees. I think the process may be of interest to some, so I will try to document it here to a degree. It may not be a purist's route, but..........I don't live in my patriarchal vaterland.

What were those crane tire sizes again?

duncan

Whoa, nice mod, but isn't that new engine way too high to fit in the cab? Judging from the distance between the top of the clutch housing and top of the engine, you will have a mod of the engine tunnel on your hands too? Assume you ofcourse measured all of this before starting :cool:

noveske

Whoa, nice mod, but isn't that new engine way too high to fit in the cab? Judging from the distance between the top of the clutch housing and top of the engine, you will have a mod of the engine tunnel on your hands too? Assume you ofcourse measured all of this before starting :cool:
Crank centerline to the top of the engines are within an inch of each other.

tatra813

Good to see someone doing a tatra project again........makes me want to work on mine again:p:p:p As soon as Im done building my monster truck its going to be Tatras for the next year!!

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, neat looking truck! I get down to Canyonville often in the spring and summer. Would like to see it when you get it running.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks