• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tatra 813 Conversion to Cummins 8.3L

duncan

Crank centerline to the top of the engines are within an inch of each other.
Whoa, wouldnt have guessed from the picture!

Either way, as many people on many forums said before, the old 813 is a bit underpowered for modern day driving. But then I couldnt live with myself without that sweet sweet sound of the massive v12. I put single straight 3.5 inch stack on it with open muffler from a racing truck. When the engine has to work (ie. put the trailer behind) it sounds like singing angels :roll:

noveske

Yeah, I miss the sound of the engine. I put a straight muffler on mine too.

But, I am sure I will like the sound one of the new one. Hard to argue with a winding up turbo.

noveske

The engine is getting mounted. From the position in the pics, it will go down about 1.5" and forward about 2". We may mount the turbo on the side, not sure yet. Pretty fun. See the adaptor to take the old drive line.

Attachments

tatra813

looking good! cant wait to hear how it performs. I like the adapter, did you have a machine shop make that for you?
Keep us updated pics look nice

duncan

Looks good man, engine seems so small compared to the original :)

On a side note, which tires are on there, and do they fit the original rims or did you swap them? (Can never have enough leads on tire options).

noveske

The shop doing the work, RPM Diesel, does their own machining. Right now, the engine is hanging from a forklift, and about to be dropped on to the new engine mounts. We are cutting out the old mounts where they mount to the frame, and replacing with new angle iron so we get a little more width on the contact surface.

The tires are goodyear, and fit the original wheels. I think they are the only US made tires for a 21" wheel.

Flat Black

Not sure how I missed this before, definitely bad ass...

I want to say Vermont Unimog was offering 815 with Cummins conversions in them.

Looking forward to updates.

T815-8x8

Re Vermont Unimog , don't know how he could, he has never imported 1 or know how to do it himself, he even has the T815 that I own listed as available for purchase ----///////:!!!! Guess any ---- can copy post pics 1 of the webs curses

noveske

The project is coming along nice and slow. The engine is in, rigged, and about to set the cab back on. We put the radiator in the back on a pump motor, and are routing air intake up the back of the cab. Sorry for the delay, I have been super busy, and putting pics up takes forever with resizing and all.

florin

WOW!
That's something else, I'm telling ya!

I like what y'all are experimenting with this tatras, but I'm the kind of guy that like to kip things as original as possible.
If you want more power then what the 17l V12 naturally aspirated T813 engines offer, then you could find a V8, V10 or even a V12 tween turbo Tatra engine from the 90's and newer, and with minimal modifications you could probably add even an air to air cooler that would boost power some more and still have the sound of a V air-cooled engine.

Well, that's just my opinion!
Anyway, it's really cool seeing people have fun with the 40 year old Tatra trucks that future a superior high mobility drive-train even by today's standards.

Thanks for the picks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks