Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: EMP vs MEP003a & 2

Corporal
    Thanks

Even though nobody cares, Iíll give my 2 cents...

Btw, Iíve been involved in nuclear ďactivitiesĒ and work inside and around shielded equipment and assets daily... thatís all Iím saying.

A high altitude EMP is likely to cause +50kV within the local region below the burst, dropping voltage the further out you go. Sure, a bomb going off closer to the surface may produce a stronger EMP, but it would have a smaller radius and therefore you will be dead from the actual bomb or other affects.

As far as the generator and shielding goes, although a complete faraday cage is the best way to protect electronics, it is impractical and unnecessary for most devices. What actually determines wether something will be destroyed is the devices sensitivity to errant voltage (the actual ICs inside a device), and the devices size and ability to pick up enough voltage out of the air to exceed the safe voltage levels of the device.

Take the congressional report from the early 2000s that studied the effects of an EMP on modern vehicles. They tested dozens of modern electronically controlled vehicles by subjecting them to high voltage under the same devices the military uses to test its equipment. Every single vehicle tested survived the EMP just fine when they were turned off and just a few vehicles suffered any malfunctions when hit while running. Only one vehicle actually suffered permanent damage. What the report concluded was that the shielding already incorporated on the computers inside modern vehicle, put there to avoid interference, was sufficient to protect from high voltage radio waves. Additionally, a vehicle does not posses enough surface area to achieve high enough voltages to overcome the shielding. However, the same report pointed to the dangers of the modern electric utility grid and the millions of miles of power lines that would conduct and carry the high voltage well beyond the bombs initial target area.

So taking all this back around to your mep generator. In my opinion only, based on my knowledge of these reports and working with actual protected equipment, I donít believe you should worry about shielding your generator any more than leaving it in your metal barn with the wires disconnected. I have an mep-802 and thatís what I do, and mines just under a lean-two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fa35jsf For This Useful Post:

Chainbreaker (03-04-2019), Farmitall (03-04-2019), Guyfang (03-04-2019), SCSG-G4 (03-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,183 Times in 2,075 Posts

If you only knew the crap we went through in the 70's and 80's. If you do not want to sleep, talk to someone who is up to snuff on NBC. The nuke stuff, I can deal with. But the Bio and Chem stuff, scares me spit less. You will dream bad stuff, for the next 4 weeks.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guyfang For This Useful Post:

Chainbreaker (03-04-2019), Keith_J (03-04-2019), SCSG-G4 (03-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,031 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guyfang View Post
    If you only knew the crap we went through in the 70's and 80's. If you do not want to sleep, talk to someone who is up to snuff on NBC. The nuke stuff, I can deal with. But the Bio and Chem stuff, scares me spit less. You will dream bad stuff, for the next 4 weeks.
    That is an understatement!

Not only is it scary what’s out there and who has that capability, but also how we are woefully under prepared for such attack’s.
    1987 M1008A1 (2)
    1986 M1009
    1995 NF2D FloodLight/Kohler-Kubota Generator Set
    1992 M101A2 trailer (2)
    S-280 Shelter

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tinstar For This Useful Post:

Chainbreaker (03-04-2019), Guyfang (03-04-2019), SCSG-G4 (03-05-2019)

2 Star General
    Thanks

Golly...In my last post I was half joking. I guess being scarred is one thing, being prepared is another!

I think I am going to change my Genset procedure of leaving them plugged into my generator inlet box and only plug in when I am going to actually USE generator power. I've installed switches in my gensets to allow for being neutral bonded to either House gnd or Field (self derived & own gnd rod). Always having a genset plugged in connects a genset all the way up to the breaker box's generator breaker. So that's a pretty long antenna and there might even be a chance of the breaker arcing/bridging over if enough high voltage were to come down the line from whatever means transmits it...massive solar event, EMP or whatever the cause. Don't want any of that finding an easy path to my gensets.
    #1 House Gen PU-751/M: 1986 MEP-002a/M116A2 w/Aux Tank & OEM cover
    #2 Spare Gen PU-751/M: 1991 MEP-002a/M116A2 w/Aux Tank & OEM cover
    #3 Shop Gen NF-2 Enclosure: MEP-002a w/Aux Tank

* Disclaimer - My comments on this forum are based on my opinion and my experiences only. Any information or suggestions I share could sometimes be inaccurate or misinterpreted. It is your responsibility to verify any information before using or to hire a professional.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chainbreaker For This Useful Post:

SCSG-G4 (03-05-2019)

4 Star General
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Guyfang View Post
    Absolutely. I'm sure you recall the "kickin' chicken"" drill during BC training. Only slightly in jest Burn the MOPP suit? HERESY. Must wash/dry it same night during recover and repack in the ruck. WHY? Wash carbon thru the Maytag and down the drain/and would be issue a new got to warm bag when deploy. CONUS accountability?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NEIOWA For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (03-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,183 Times in 2,075 Posts

I went to DRMO and we brought back 4 multipack boxes of suits. All sizes. Everyone in my section got 4-5 suits. One was for inspection. One for the fiend. One washed out for training. Carbon was gone. Looked good, was useless. Someone I know later bought hundreds of them at DRMO, and sold them. Germans loved em. Why? Who knows. You can STILL get 30 euro a bag.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Guyfang For This Useful Post:

SCSG-G4 (03-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,031 Times in 1,180 Posts

Those suits absolutely suck to fly in.
    Worst were the aviator masks.
    When you breathed in, it sucked in the mask in a bit, distorting the eye lenses.
    Which altered how things looked, kinda like a carnival mirror.

I learned quick to hold my breath just before skids/wheels down.
    1987 M1008A1 (2)
    1986 M1009
    1995 NF2D FloodLight/Kohler-Kubota Generator Set
    1992 M101A2 trailer (2)
    S-280 Shelter

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstar For This Useful Post:

SCSG-G4 (03-05-2019)

4 Star General
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Those suits absolutely suck to fly in.
    Worst were the aviator masks.
    When you breathed in, it sucked in the mask in a bit, distorting the eye lenses.
    Which altered how things looked, kinda like a carnival mirror.

I learned quick to hold my breath just before skids/wheels down.
    The mandatory aviator (EMP proof) Mickey Mouse watch went well with the MOPP suit though.

Jump in the back of the Blackhawk and the pilot is checking the time. "LD time is when Mickey's big arm is on the 3". WTF

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NEIOWA For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (03-05-2019), SCSG-G4 (03-05-2019)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7