• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

EMP vs MEP003a & 2

billypop

Will an EMP take out our generators?? I've seen some boards in the control panel and I was wondering about 'hardening' it for insurance sake!
Thanks!

n1oty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not necessarily. The diesel motor and gen head are generally safe. The electronics would be the major concern, more specifically the transistors. However, the metal control box should tend to act like a farraday cage. This provides quite a bit of protection. Grounding can supply even more protection. Finally, a generator not in use during the EMP event is less susceptible to damage than one in use during the event. So, if you are dragging out your generator after the EMP has knocked out the power grid, you'll probably be OK.

John

PeterD

I agree fully with John's comments, they are 'spot on'. As well any generator set that is in a fully enclosed box (such as a MEP-004A's ASK) is going to be well protected from most anything. The steel of the enclosure will somewhat attenuate the magnetic pulse, which is very helpful. One strong recommendation, if you are worried about this, is to make sure that there are no leads connected to it, as they will conduct high energy pulses into the system, which may result in damage.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
EMP effects are usually for longer runs of 'normal' stuff. Micro electronics (read computer chips) have much smaller wires which burn up when they get too much voltage in them. If you can see the discrete components (resistors, capacitors, diodes, transistors. etc.) it will be ok if not plugged into any long runs (over 100 ft) of external wires. The Carrington Event conditions arose because the EMP arrived in different places at slightly different times, creating a voltage difference in wires that were connected to each other. That's the simple explanation. MEP generators that are not in use and otherwise electrically isolated should be fine.

Bill W

Yes the electronics are inside a steel box but that box is grounded to the unit therefore it will conduct the emp burst/wave through the unit and the electronics. My 003A is on a trailer ( isolated from ground ) and in a steel barn ( buffer ) but I also have it hooked to a ( separate from the building ) ground rod and have all poles grounded together ( see pic ) kinda over kill but what the heck its not like I run it everyday...or month

Attachments

Last edited:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes the electronics are inside a steel box but that box is grounded to the unit therefore it will conduct the emp burst/wave through the unit and the electronics. My 003A is on a trailer ( isolated from ground ) and in a steel barn ( buffer ) but I also have it hooked to a ( separate from the building ) ground rod and have all poles grounded together ( see pic ) kinda over kill but what the heck its not like I run it everyday...or month

The control box on your MEP-003a generators is made of Aluminum, not steel.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are worried then you you should ground it. Even though you arn't using it. use at least a 6 foot rod.

derf

I enjoyed "One Second After" but I am not sure what will and will not be affected by an EMP.
Preparation for Godzilla is easier. There are facts about and videos of Godzilla that I can use on which to base my opinions to form a strategy.

PeterD

Since an EMP travels line of sight, would an aluminum covered building (grounded) act as a faraday box?

Well, if nothing else, my steel building blocks both radio and my cell phone! :jumpin: I had to install an outdoor radio antenna to listen to my favorite tunes, and my cell phone only works when I stand next to the window.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks