• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

EMP vs MEP003a & 2

derf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speddmon
I see you're one of the "lucky" ones to have the ASK for the MEP-003a :oops:

I am. It can be had for a reasonable price, too. I have too many projects right now.
BTW, the 701A ASKs are Aluminum.
What I meant was I have an 003 W/ASK. We got it running but it isn't making 24V DC. We haven't looked at the AC end of it, yet. It is on the back burner and I have too many other projects right now. The ASK isn't perfect, though, it is missing some parts on the air intake end.

If you're asking about the 701A ASK it fits the 016B.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As always, the answers are in the TMs.

Documents of World War III

If you guys want to discuss "survivalist" ideas, please go to a website dedicated to that.

This site is not the place for it.

derf

Seems like how to harden MEPs against EMPs would be appropriate. Same might apply to Deuce and other equipment. Although sometimes I feel like a red-headed step child only having generators and trailers on SS. When I see a private citizen driving a Deuce I assume a bit of survivalist mentality in him.
OTOH, discussion of the effectiveness of 5.56mm against zombies may not be far over the horizon.
I declare, though, the more live crackheads I see the more I think zombies are already amongst us.

Bill W

If you guys want to discuss "survivalist" ideas, please go to a website dedicated to that.

This site is not the place for it.
Doghead
This is a discussion about hardening a Military genset against a emp burst which can be a natural occurance ( 2013 is suppose to be the suns highest cycle for solar flares/cme's ) or man made ( nuclear ). Our goverment is concerned enough about it to spend/fund billions on upgrading ( and hardening ) our countries powergrid system.

Hopefully it won't turn into a zombie thread

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm 100% certain it won't.:wink:

I'm really biting my tongue, on the mention of Godzilla.

n1oty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems to me you would need a metal cover for the face of the control panel to provide a tight box.
Jerry

Not necessarily. Much depends on the nature of the EMP event. Think of EMP's as a pulsed radio wave. Damage to electronics will be determined by a combination of factors that include frequency of the pulse, amplitude of the pulse, anything that causes amplification/resonance within the endangered electronic components, the actual field strength of the pulse that strikes your equipment, etc. The goal of protecting against EMP is to get the amplitude of the pulse reduced to a point that your electronics are no longer in danger of damage. The control box on the MEP, though still not a "full" metal enclosure, nevertheless still provides some reduction by blocking electrical signal penetration. For an experiment, take an AM radio, place it on a marginal station, then stick the radio inside the MEP control box. I'm sure the signal will degrade further. That's the benefit you'll get from the "imperfect" control box.

John

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doghead
This is a discussion about hardening a Military genset against a emp burst which can be a natural occurance ( 2013 is suppose to be the suns highest cycle for solar flares/cme's ) or man made ( nuclear ). Our goverment is concerned enough about it to spend/fund billions on upgrading ( and hardening ) our countries powergrid system.

I fully agree with you that I hope this won't turn into a zombie thread. Because we all know that governments around the world have NEVER spent billions of dollars needlessly before.

I had my reservations about this thread when it was started, and thought more than once about ending it before it began, but I let it go. And you guys have been true to form (I always speak well of the regular posters to the Aux Equipment Forum) and kept it on track. But I won't hesitate for a second to kill it if it heads too far south. 2cents

Bill W

"I fully agree with you that I hope this won't turn into a zombie thread. Because we all know that governments around the world have NEVER spent billions of dollars needlessly before."

Really Spedd, maybe if you did a little research on this subject...

Wow some ninny says Godzilla and suddenly this a zombie thread

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, I was concerned that I may need to defend the good name of Godzilla!:roll:

n1oty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I certainly hope the thread doesn't go off track. There are reasons to logically discuss this topic that go beyond the bizarre, namely the solar cycle and its potential interactions with the power grid and electronics.

John

PeterD

Well, I won't get into the Gamera vs Godzilla side of things (I'm a Gamera fan, myself...)

There are many things one can do to help make their equipment more resistant to EMP, including shielding. One of the reasons I have my 95 Hummer still is because were there to be a massive EMP pulse, I could still drive it, as though there is a computer controlling the transmission, the fact is that if that computer stops working, the transmission will work to a limited extent, and as well I have the knowledge and skills to create a non computerized replacement.

One potential source source of an EMP pulse is UFOs... Uh, not that kind, but large rocks and such striking the atmosphere, which can also create EMP pulses. I suspect that famous one in Russia would have caused massive EMP damage were there anything around in those days that was EMP sensitive!

quickfarms

Very interesting

Years ago my dad worked on an emp project and had an emp generator inside of an old blimp hanger. He said every time they generated a pulse the fire department would show up. It turned out that there test was causing the alarm system to send a test signal and the fire men where stumped for a while until they admitted to my dad what was happening

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use the ground rods as per the TM, The ground rod is your friend..[thumbzup]

Ground, Ground, Ground, Ground, Ground, Ground, Ground, Ground, Ground, Ground, Ground, Ground, Ground, Ground, Ground, Ground, Ground, Ground, Ground, Ground, Ground, Ground, Ground, Ground, enough said about grounding.rofl

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Consider that there are grounds for many different purposes. The common electrical ground is to kill unwanted voltages on places we don't want them, like the frame of the generator, or the metal handle of the drill you have in your hand. Grounds for antenna systems often provides a counterpoise for the antenna system and is part of the antenna.

But, a ground added for the purpose of avoiding EMP damage might just make things worse. Any wire attached to a device we want to protect will become an antenna to attract energy. The "ground" end will be lower potential, putting the device at higher potential above ground. Voltage is induced into objects because those objects provide a path to ground, OR, because they are resonant at some frequency. Every conductor is resonant at some frequency, thus the problem with EMP, it contains a whole spectrum of energy, DC to light, so to speak.

I leave all my "protected" stuff ungrounded and unconnected, and in as good a Faraday cage as I can provide. Faraday cage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks