• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

EMP vs MEP003a & 2

fa35jsf

Even though nobody cares, I’ll give my 2 cents...

Btw, I’ve been involved in nuclear “activities” and work inside and around shielded equipment and assets daily... that’s all I’m saying.

A high altitude EMP is likely to cause +50kV within the local region below the burst, dropping voltage the further out you go. Sure, a bomb going off closer to the surface may produce a stronger EMP, but it would have a smaller radius and therefore you will be dead from the actual bomb or other affects.

As far as the generator and shielding goes, although a complete faraday cage is the best way to protect electronics, it is impractical and unnecessary for most devices. What actually determines wether something will be destroyed is the devices sensitivity to errant voltage (the actual ICs inside a device), and the devices size and ability to pick up enough voltage out of the air to exceed the safe voltage levels of the device.

Take the congressional report from the early 2000s that studied the effects of an EMP on modern vehicles. They tested dozens of modern electronically controlled vehicles by subjecting them to high voltage under the same devices the military uses to test its equipment. Every single vehicle tested survived the EMP just fine when they were turned off and just a few vehicles suffered any malfunctions when hit while running. Only one vehicle actually suffered permanent damage. What the report concluded was that the shielding already incorporated on the computers inside modern vehicle, put there to avoid interference, was sufficient to protect from high voltage radio waves. Additionally, a vehicle does not posses enough surface area to achieve high enough voltages to overcome the shielding. However, the same report pointed to the dangers of the modern electric utility grid and the millions of miles of power lines that would conduct and carry the high voltage well beyond the bombs initial target area.

So taking all this back around to your mep generator. In my opinion only, based on my knowledge of these reports and working with actual protected equipment, I don’t believe you should worry about shielding your generator any more than leaving it in your metal barn with the wires disconnected. I have an mep-802 and that’s what I do, and mines just under a lean-two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guyfang

Staff member
If you only knew the crap we went through in the 70's and 80's. If you do not want to sleep, talk to someone who is up to snuff on NBC. The nuke stuff, I can deal with. But the Bio and Chem stuff, scares me spit less. You will dream bad stuff, for the next 4 weeks.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you only knew the crap we went through in the 70's and 80's. If you do not want to sleep, talk to someone who is up to snuff on NBC. The nuke stuff, I can deal with. But the Bio and Chem stuff, scares me spit less. You will dream bad stuff, for the next 4 weeks.
That is an understatement!

Not only is it scary what’s out there and who has that capability, but also how we are woefully under prepared for such attack’s.

Chainbreaker

Golly...In my last post I was half joking. I guess being scarred is one thing, being prepared is another!

I think I am going to change my Genset procedure of leaving them plugged into my generator inlet box and only plug in when I am going to actually USE generator power. I've installed switches in my gensets to allow for being neutral bonded to either House gnd or Field (self derived & own gnd rod). Always having a genset plugged in connects a genset all the way up to the breaker box's generator breaker. So that's a pretty long antenna and there might even be a chance of the breaker arcing/bridging over if enough high voltage were to come down the line from whatever means transmits it...massive solar event, EMP or whatever the cause. Don't want any of that finding an easy path to my gensets.

NEIOWA

Absolutely. I'm sure you recall the "kickin' chicken"" drill during BC training. Only slightly in jest Burn the MOPP suit? HERESY. Must wash/dry it same night during recover and repack in the ruck. WHY? Wash carbon thru the Maytag and down the drain/and would be issue a new got to warm bag when deploy. CONUS accountability?

Guyfang

Staff member
I went to DRMO and we brought back 4 multipack boxes of suits. All sizes. Everyone in my section got 4-5 suits. One was for inspection. One for the fiend. One washed out for training. Carbon was gone. Looked good, was useless. Someone I know later bought hundreds of them at DRMO, and sold them. Germans loved em. Why? Who knows. You can STILL get 30 euro a bag.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those suits absolutely suck to fly in.
Worst were the aviator masks.
When you breathed in, it sucked in the mask in a bit, distorting the eye lenses.
Which altered how things looked, kinda like a carnival mirror.

I learned quick to hold my breath just before skids/wheels down.

NEIOWA

Those suits absolutely suck to fly in.
Worst were the aviator masks.
When you breathed in, it sucked in the mask in a bit, distorting the eye lenses.
Which altered how things looked, kinda like a carnival mirror.

I learned quick to hold my breath just before skids/wheels down.
The mandatory aviator (EMP proof) Mickey Mouse watch went well with the MOPP suit though.

Jump in the back of the Blackhawk and the pilot is checking the time. "LD time is when Mickey's big arm is on the 3". WTF

NEIOWA

Army has a newish (May2019) FM for NBC Ops which may be of interest here. https://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/pdf/web/ARN17082_FM 3-11 FINAL WEB.pdf

After ___years of GWT OD is figuring out that they need to start thinking/training again on BIG War (chicoms SOBs). Clinton's "peace dividend" being as BS as Chamberlain's "Peace for our time".

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks