• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 oils

Rezdeuce

I been doing a full maintenance over haul on the deuce. But before I changed all the oils I did some research. And found rottella was the best engine oil for the deuce, but I wanted to change the trans, diff and the T-case oils so i looked around on SS and seen different opinions. I wanted the best so I stayed with all the same brand if it's the best for the engine it has to be good for the rest so here is what I found SHELL SPIRAX A 80W-90 HEAVY DUTY GEAR OIL API GL5 PERFORMANCE it covers everthing.

1 ENGINE OIL
Rottela T 3

2 TRANSMISSION
SHELL SPIRAX A 80W-90

3 TRANSFERCASE
SHELL SPIRAX A 80W-90

4 DIFFERENTIALS
SHELL SPIRAX A 80W-90

SHELL SPIRAX A 80W-90
HEAVY DUTY GEAR OIL API GL5 PERFORMANCE DESCRIPTION
Shell Spirax A 80W-90 is an extreme pressure, heavy duty lubricant recommended for hypoid or spiral bevel axles, gears and steering boxes of automotive equipment.
Shell Spirax A is also available as an SAE 85W-140 grade.
PERFORMANCE FEATURES
HEAVY DUTY.
Shell Spirax A 80W-90 contains extreme pressure additives which impart high load carrying capacity to the oil.
RUST AND OXIDATION RESISTANCE.
Shell Spirax A 80W-90 contains anti-corrosion and anti-oxidation additives which respectively aid in the corrosion protection of gear box components and prevent rapid oil oxidation.
OPERATING TEMPERATURES.
Shell Spirax A 80W-90 maintains multigrade characteristics, due to its high viscosity index, thus eliminating the need for seasonal oil changes.
SUMMARY OF BENEFITS
• Shell Spirax A 80W-90 protects all types of gears, including helical, spiral bevel and hypoid, against wear and does not attack yellow metal components sometimes present in gear systems.
• Multigrade characteristics enable maintenance of wear protection over a wide range of operating temperatures and reduces oil drag at start up.
• Shell Spirax A 80W-90 may be used in a wide variety of manual transmissions and vehicle axles.
HEALTH & SAFETY
Information is available on the relevant Material Safety Data Sheet

SPECIFICATIONS/APPROVALS

US MILITARY

MIL-L-2105D

API GL5

lawdog1623

i certainly will...im trying not to get too many projects going on this truck. i want to finish everything in a timely manner

eeyore357

Wondering how the fluids worked out. I am about to do axle seals, wheel cylinders, and new brake lines and start maintenance work that has been neglected for who knows how long.

Jeepsinker

Well, shell oil is great oil, and the spirax says that it's yellow metal safe. It's also the correct viscosity, so I imagine it works just fine. Ditto on shell for motor oil too. I've even run shell rotella in some of my gas burners and it keeps the inside of the motor clean. Never have used the spirax gear oil, but I'm gonna give it a shot.

Another Ahab

Well, shell oil is great oil, and the spirax says that it's yellow metal safe. It's also the correct viscosity, so I imagine it works just fine. Ditto on shell for motor oil too. I've even run shell rotella in some of my gas burners and it keeps the inside of the motor clean. Never have used the spirax gear oil, but I'm gonna give it a shot.
Any follow-Up feedback (good/ bad/ indifferent)?

I'm figuring indifferent, right? It's the old Chevy/ Ford conundrum ("I drive Chevy, so Chevy is the best" and "I drive Ford, so Ford is the best"). I mean how much better can one (qualified) oil be than another? But maybe there are some legitimate differences: got anything significant? ~

Jeepsinker

As I stated, the shell is good motor oil, I like it. There probably is something better out there. Seems the O.p. has forgotten about this thread so I'm just going to try the spirax myself. Doubt it's any better than most others.

Heath_h49008

Lucas is just thick brightstock. It thickens the oil you have, and thins out the additives you pay all that money to get in good oil.

Basically, when you add Lucas to good oil, you make it thicker cheaper oil.

This has been discussed before, but check out bobistheoilguy.com for all of the test data.

welldigger

I NEVER use lucas in my engine. But I do add a small amount to the tranny and transfer case. None in the axles either.

Increasing the viscosity in engine oil is usually a bad thing. Motor oils are designed to thin to a certain viscosity at operating temperature. As the oil ages the viscosity increases. Hence the need to change it along with contamination over time. Lucas is basically thickening the oil and unless your engine is severely worn out this helps you none.

iatractor

Nothing wrong with Shell, Chevron, or Mobil. I think this discussion is like debating the differences between Folgers and Maxwellhouse. My personal favorite brands of lubricants are John Deere and Cenex. Mainly because of the availability. One thing to keep in mind is that today's oils meet a lot higher classification and standard that they did when our trucks were new. So as long as it is a name brand product and meets all of the current classifications, you really can't go too wrong. I know of a couple of guys who buy the farm store special 15w40 and have no problems.

HanksDeuce

Anybody know where to buy the SHELL SPIRAX A 80W-90 listed above? I can't find it on NAPA, O'Reillys, etc. websites. Looking to use it in my deuce transfer case. Or a suitable alternate.

welldigger

Anybody know where to buy the SHELL SPIRAX A 80W-90 listed above? I can't find it on NAPA, O'Reillys, etc. websites. Looking to use it in my deuce transfer case. Or a suitable alternate.
I wouldn't worry too much about brand. I run travelers 80w-90 from tsc in all of my equipment. No problems at all. I run it in my deuce axles also. Good stuff.

Just find a gl-5 rated gear oil and get it done.

rustystud

Out here there are commercial supply houses that carry it. I would look up commercial oil sales to find a dealer. Shell Spirax is an excellent oil by the way.

rustystud

First off, only a fool drives any vehicle with a exposed rotating shaft ! A rock or and debris can be flung into the cab or at the driver. Second, I would never put a 30w oil into any gear unit (transmission, transfer case, differential) . Most of my 35 years working as a mechanic was gear work. I have seen the damage using a lighter weight oil can do to a transmission or differential or transfer case. The bearings are usually the first casualty, followed by the gears themselves . Also our transmissions need an oil that will not harm the synchro's . Remember they are made of "yellow" metal (brass) . Most gear oils today have special additives for the brass synchro's . I personally prefer a good full synthetic as they can handle the high heat conditions of a transmission or differential or transfer case. At our transit agency we have gone to full synthetic's for all the gears. More money at first, but it pays dividends in the long haul (longer gear life ) .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks