• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 oils

brianp454

I use the Delo 400LE 15/40 from costco also. I got it tested after 3k miles and it was showed zero degradation and it has lots of zinc in it as well as other additives. Good stuff. Don't know about the Rotella. Are you a member of MVCCO? Do any of the parades around here?

2deuce

Slightly off topic, but while I was looking at zinc levels in oil I ran across statements that guys don't and won't use diesel rated oils in their gas engines due to the additional additive packages in the diesel oil that are harmful and accelerate wear in gas engines. I have used the fore mentioned delo in my gas engines too. The team here have any thoughts on this?

Thanks

brianp454

I think this is another case of people being overly cautious. My hunch is that the diesel oil also meets the specs suggested by the gas engine manufactures. It might do to check them.

2deuce

Brian, I read that rotella T lowered their zinc levels to better adapt to gas engines with catalytic converters and that many if not all other oil brands did the same thing. It was stated that most were in the 800-900 ppm range today. Do you know how much zinc .13% mass is in ppm?

Yes I'm a member in MVCCO, but I haven't done parades yet, because I work Saturdays. I was at the Ft Stevens campout and campground parade, which is great fun along with the air show in Hillsboro and a LO car show the club was at. Before this last year I didn't do anything, worked too much OT.

How about you?

2deuce

How could it be good in one gas engine application and not in another. I know I use delo400le in everything, cars, motorcycles, tractors, lawnmowers, etc. except my detroit engines. Where I use delo 100 40wt. Ya want to do what's right for your engine, but aside from zinc as an additive for older engines, low ash in detroits, it seems the rest is speculation.

rustystud

How could it be good in one gas engine application and not in another. I know I use delo400le in everything, cars, motorcycles, tractors, lawnmowers, etc. except my detroit engines. Where I use delo 100 40wt. Ya want to do what's right for your engine, but aside from zinc as an additive for older engines, low ash in detroits, it seems the rest is speculation.
Your right. After you get past the "zinc" levels your just looking at the weights. So a good 10/40W oil is basically the same as any other 10/40W oil as long as it is manufactured by a reputable company. There are some garbage oil companies out there you need to watch out for. Like the man said "you get what you pay for" .

I been doing a full maintenance over haul on the deuce. But before I changed all the oils I did some research. And found rottella was the best engine oil for the deuce, but I wanted to change the trans, diff and the T-case oils so i looked around on SS and seen different opinions. I wanted the best so I stayed with all the same brand if it's the best for the engine it has to be good for the rest so here is what I found SHELL SPIRAX A 80W-90 HEAVY DUTY GEAR OIL API GL5 PERFORMANCE it covers everthing.

1 ENGINE OIL
Rottela T 3

2 TRANSMISSION
SHELL SPIRAX A 80W-90

3 TRANSFERCASE
SHELL SPIRAX A 80W-90

4 DIFFERENTIALS
SHELL SPIRAX A 80W-90

SHELL SPIRAX A 80W-90
HEAVY DUTY GEAR OIL API GL5 PERFORMANCE DESCRIPTION
Shell Spirax A 80W-90 is an extreme pressure, heavy duty lubricant recommended for hypoid or spiral bevel axles, gears and steering boxes of automotive equipment.
Shell Spirax A is also available as an SAE 85W-140 grade.
PERFORMANCE FEATURES
HEAVY DUTY.
Shell Spirax A 80W-90 contains extreme pressure additives which impart high load carrying capacity to the oil.
RUST AND OXIDATION RESISTANCE.
Shell Spirax A 80W-90 contains anti-corrosion and anti-oxidation additives which respectively aid in the corrosion protection of gear box components and prevent rapid oil oxidation.
OPERATING TEMPERATURES.
Shell Spirax A 80W-90 maintains multigrade characteristics, due to its high viscosity index, thus eliminating the need for seasonal oil changes.
SUMMARY OF BENEFITS
• Shell Spirax A 80W-90 protects all types of gears, including helical, spiral bevel and hypoid, against wear and does not attack yellow metal components sometimes present in gear systems.
• Multigrade characteristics enable maintenance of wear protection over a wide range of operating temperatures and reduces oil drag at start up.
• Shell Spirax A 80W-90 may be used in a wide variety of manual transmissions and vehicle axles.
HEALTH & SAFETY
Information is available on the relevant Material Safety Data Sheet

SPECIFICATIONS/APPROVALS

US MILITARY

MIL-L-2105D

API GL5
Great information. Do you happen to have the capacities of the t-case, Transmission, and differentials that you used?

fasttruck

Don't forget the steering box. This takes GO like the transmission and the oil in it probably has been there since the truck was new. Had a M35A2 that would only turn left in cold weather. Waited for a warm day and drained the steering box which was 1/3 full of water.

77 AMG

And, once again, SS saves me from a possible major headache with a long, but, VERY usefull thread. A BIG thank you to Rustystud, CattleRepairMan and others for the time, money and effort involved here.

brianp454

Great post! Wow, my report seems to be a bit better than yours. How many hours on your sample? I wonder how good their measurements are and if they are consistent within a given lab or in comparison to another lab. I searched and found http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ They are a bit cheaper than Cummins. The Cummins kit comes with a prepaid shipping label. Does the blackstone kit have free shipping? I've been poking around for a local test lab and would prefer to do it that way.
I took another oil sample today. Will post again on the results

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks