• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AH-64 Apache Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief_919

Look, the guys were showing off and doing a buzz job, like many before them and like the many that will follow. That is what we do when the CO is not around.
The first part of the explanation from a [supposedly] former Apache pilot s total BS "What you saw there is NOT hot dogging by any stretch of the imagination. It's a standard combat approach,....The RTT turn more than likely was SOP in order to land in that LZ due to prevailing winds, terrain, etc. That is a maneuver we do on a daily basis and is by no means dangerous (except to those we're targeting)."

There is no such thing as a 'standard combat approach' That's totally absurd. And as far as that being a SOP approach to an LZ that too is absurd. And the idea that one would over fly the target then climb to a low airspeed over the target's position, then do a zero air speed pedal turn is just completely absurd, too. Crop dusters do this type of cyclic climb and pedal turn, but no gunship tactics ever taught would recommend that.

The pilot was just showing off. I did it, every attack pilot I know did it at some point or another, so to try and explain it in some other way than that is just stupid. Get real.
I have to agree.

I spent many months at the very FOB and have flown in and out of that LZ many times. Not once did I see an approach like that.

In combat engaging the enemy, yes.

At the FOB coming in to the LZ when there was no enemy action? Nope- and there was no enemy action, or else everyone would have their body armor on and not be milling about.

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Incident action

I always hope the same support is displayed to those who make a mistake, as is to those who are successful.

When an incident happens where I work we fill out an incident report, correct the actions, inform everyone and try to do better.

What process will this pilot go through?

My empathy and gratitude to ALL of those folks that serve.

Stalwart

Thin air of high altitudes is a Low Density condition, not high. The Blackhawk pilot who sent me the video was recently station near where this occurred. He thinks the pilot will be charged, but just the pilot.
Sorry but you are incorrect. Aircraft performance deteriorates because of high "density altitude" and takes into account the altitude and temperature. In short, high density altitude is the correct term when referring to performance at high altitudes and or high temperatures.

Last edited:

B3.3T

It might well be an accepted term but it is a corrupted term. High altitude air is low density, low humidity, and low pressure compared to sea level.

trooper632

EVERYONE has shown off at one point or another, It just happened to catch up with this this time. I could have ended up alot worse though over the base with all those people around. Guarenteed if he would have pulled it out at the end, that probibly would have been the last time he would have done it, to bad it ended that way at least no one died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks