• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers emails and site issues

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They basically exploited an add on to the board that allowed them to insert a plug in that allowed them to redirect the site and use the mailer daemon to send an email to all. I say this because instead of highjacking any of the admin accounts, they simply used the plug in to nuke the admin account passwords and insert "lol" at the email accounts. Preventing us from logging in or using the reset password function. (I had to correct the accounts by hand)
I sure am glad you're running this place instead of me. I thought a plug in was one of those air fresheners that plug into a wall socket. :-D

We are grateful that we have somebody such as yourself that knows how to fix these things. I do good to log into my own account.

NSCoyote

Hello everyone,

First of all, I cannot apologize enough for the outage we had today and the emails that were sent. We were hacked during the day. The hacker exploited a weakness in a module of the board. From that point they were able to inject a "plug-in" that allowed them the ability to redirect the website and use the mailer system to send out the two emails about the "revolution" and once I regained control of the site, they still had access to the mailer process. Which they used to send the "coward" email.

I know I've been reamed by countless members (I've lost count of the emails) about this. Unfortunately it's just one of the downfalls of having something on the web. There's always going to be someone finding a new way to exploit something.

It appears that the intent of the hack was to get out their "message" via the email and the site redirect. It could have been worse I suppose, but it still doesn't sit well with me.

Again, I'm sorry about the events of today.

Drew
Thank you for clarifying that, i just found the e-mails in my spam folder, and knew somthing was totally amiss with them.

PeterD

Just a heads up, the SS site was attacked again today (3/31) and was down for a short while. It appears to be back up. I was able to gather a bit of information about who the hackers are and their web site, if anyone would be interested in what I learned please feel free to PM me. I will not give this info out in this thread however.

Since these hackers/terrorists seem intent on messing with SS, I think it might be very appropriate that we, in turn, perhaps show them how united we really are against their terrorism. :rant:

Kasper31

Go get"m ! ! We"ll be here waiting for the results, if it is our own then you know what to do. There's no doubt that we as s.s. Members don't want these types amoung us ! If outsiders then go get'm & fix'm real good. I sincerely doubt that they are one of us however if they are then take care of them, we don't need them ! !

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a heads up, the SS site was attacked again today (3/31) and was down for a short while. It appears to be back up. I was able to gather a bit of information about who the hackers are and their web site, if anyone would be interested in what I learned please feel free to PM me. I will not give this info out in this thread however.

Since these hackers/terrorists seem intent on messing with SS, I think it might be very appropriate that we, in turn, perhaps show them how united we really are against their terrorism. :rant:
Hmm, news to me. Wonder why the admins haven't said anything.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was just redirected to another site, also I could not upload some Dynamat pictures. Took me 4 tries. What can we do to elevate the problem..?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

News to me. It doesn't appear that anything was compromised. Typically I get a email if there's a database issue as well. Nothing has came in today. There's any number of things that could have caused a brief outage. And it could have been only an outage via your ISP limiting the impact.

PeterD

News to me. It doesn't appear that anything was compromised. Typically I get a email if there's a database issue as well...
The redirect to the hackers site came back for a few minutes, probably about 30 minutes before I made that post. It was there long enough that I was able to trace their web site, then it was fixed. I'd figured you have an automatic sweep that removes things like unauthorized redirects and that it kicked in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks