• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers emails and site issues

kastein

some variety/version of vbulletin is used here. As long as it is kept up to date the core of the program is fine - unfortunately, plugins for it are sometimes not up to the same standards and from what patracy said, one of them was how the attacker got in.

It only takes one line of code written without thought given to security to leave a hole an attacker can exploit. You literally have to look at your own code and think about it as if you were trying to break it.

vbulletin is actually one of the more secure, better written forum packages out there. It is FAR better than phpBB for instance. Back in around 2004-2005 there was a new phpBB vulnerability almost weekly, it was nearly impossible to stay caught up.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
sigo,

the hackers go after sites that have a lot of traffic, so I guess that means we are one of the 'big boys'. It's a similar reason all the hackers went after IE, and now go after Firefox - market share - eyeballs for their message.:mad:

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really want to keep V, but in light of today's events, I'll find something else. :???:

I've used him everywhere for the past few years, I even "dress him up" for the holidays. But it just seems tarnished now, and I worry about the image everyone has now.
Do you think since the e-mail was called anonymous the perp was directing this toward you...? Just a thought..? Kinda chicken chit if you ask me, but who's askin,lol

VP17IFT

Good work Drew. The e-mails received are not in the character of this site or anyone I've seen on it. Thankfullly the simulators I work on are on an isolated network and not on the web. Keep up the great work and like all the others definately keep "V".

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
And here I thought Drew had had it. Figured he'd went over the edge and went whacko. An I thought there was a chance for a job as the head Steel Soldiers database master in my future after I'm retired.

Oh well.

DLJ

For all those who chewed on you for what happened, they now should send an apology, and a Thanks. Would be curious to know how many complainers will send a Thanks.

Thanks for a great site,

No I didn't send a nasty email

CycleJay

Patracy,

No worries, it is okay, I understand and know it was not your doing and beyond your control.
So no hard feelings and no apologies needed.
After all, you did not do it, that bunch of (expletive deleted) "anonymous" did it.

tcody

For all those who chewed on you for what happened, they now should send an apology, and a Thanks. Would be curious to know how many complainers will send a Thanks.

Thanks for a great site No I didn't send a nasty email
Ditto! Pretty obvious this was what it was. Appreciate you getting the site up so fast so I can enjoy my nightly dose of SS to wind down after a long day!

steelandcanvas

No need to apologize Drew, you were just taking care of business. Thank you for getting to task and taking the corrective actions necessary to keep the site safe.

Jonathan

mckeeranger

I'd like to echo the props for a quick fix. And I agree with those who say you have no reason to apologize.

However; as much as I like "V", there is a lot to be said for a cannon that fires so fast it requires multiple rotating barrels to keep from melting. :mrgreen:

mikew

My day job is computer geek stuff for banks, a lot of it related to information security. There is always a risk with any system that has internet access.

Patracy, keep up the good work and keep V too!

Ultimately, groups like Anonymous are nothing more than terrorist organizations.

We should be proud! Since we have become the target of such an organization, it means we're doing something right!

GPrez

I only got the coward email. I feel left out. Seemed pretty obvious to me the site had been hacked, so I'm surprised you received so many angry emails. Don't sweat it.

blybrook

Thanks for clearing this mess up. While I only received one of the spoof emails, I figured there was a hack somewhere along the line since it wasn't something that I would have expected from this site.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drew, I can't believe anyone on SS would send you an angry message. It was absolutely obvious that the site had been hacked. Thanks for the good work and definitely keep V.

Tlauden

Great work on getting the site going again. After reading the emails I also quickly determined SS got hacked. But the possibility of getting hacked is a risk EVER Internet site has. I think it was handled quickly and very professionally. My hat is of to the admins:)

RealCavDog

Just got back on, knew instantly the problem, find it odd that you got beat on over it, anybody with the skills to access a computer should have had a clue,

only read page 1, and saw the outpouring, so heres my spin . . . ALWAYS hated the avatar since they started, not your fault by any means, love and trust the site, and you guys were on it FAST for what we are !

Great job, Great members, Great response !

Thanks

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't believe people were ripping om you for this. Sorry for the behavior of the rude a$$holes.

Thanks for fixing it so quickly.

You have my sympathies and support. [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks