• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trouble in Iowa with titles

Gastrap

Well i got what may be a good thing today. Today I got my titling documents from GL for my M1009. Instead of an SF97, they sent me an Arizona title for the truck. Now all i have to do is a title transfer, pay for a set of plates, and i'm good to go. We'll find out Monday when i go to the county courthouse to get my tags. I'll give you guys a report on how it goes.
They dont care if you have a title or not anymore. I hope you get yours through, we'll get this fixed eventually with a little help.

I sent this to Representative Windschitl on 12 JAN 12

Representative Matt Windschitl,
Iowa House Transportation Committee

Recently the Iowa Department of Transportation has decided to cease issuing title to surplus U.S. military vehicles citing Iowa Code § 321.30(15),The lack of a Federal motor vehicle safety compliance sticker, even when provided with a valid title. http://www.iowadot.gov/mvd/omve/label.htm Lack of a 17 digit VIN has also been mentioned.

With the exception of the Vietnam era M151 and HMMWV, the NHTSA has always allowed military vehicles to be sold to the public, and that U.S. military vehicles did not require a FMVSS sticker in order to be sold to the public. Most recently there has been a surge of the M series trucks in 2.5 and 5 ton configurations, and the CUCV Chevrolet blazers and pickups entering the marketplace through various outlets generating thousands in registration fees for the states and allowing Uncle Sam to recover much needed money from the sales. Thousands of these vehicles are in use in every state of our nation earning money for their owners as tools of business, farming or being enjoyed as recreational vehicles while preserving a piece of military history.

All of these vehicles have the equipment required by IDOT to be considered a motor vehicle, including seat belts, DOT approved safety glass, and signal lights. The military operates the vehicles on public roadways, and the Federal Government has thousands of them on loan to various city, county and state government agencies for fire, rescue, and park use on public roadways.

Can The Transportation Committee review this new rule and direct IDOT to issue title to these legally purchased vehicles? What sense does it make to be the only state with such a policy? My personal M35 was apparently grandfathered in before this law, but I personally know a few folks who stand to lose thousands of dollars on vehicles they legally purchased but now cannot title.

Thank you for all your great work on castle doctrine, preemption reform, and Iowa RKBA. I hope for success on these issues as we had with shall issue!

Sincerely,

(Gastrap)

Last edited:

jimmyzwei

I received this from Representative Matt Windschitl on 4 April

Thank you for your email and your support. Today the House passed SF2112 and I attached the appropriate language to it that would have the same effect as HF2313 would have had. I have also spoken with the Senate and the DOT and I believe they will accept the amendment language and it very probably will become law.

Now a little bit of a wait. I will say some of these issues wake me up to who gets my vote in an election. I can also say all of my representative have been responsive to my communications.

Deino

SUCCESS!!!!

I went to the DMV at the courthouse today, gave my bill of sale and the Arizona title from GL, and 81 dollars later, BAM, new title and license plates. I'm glad, I was expecting a battle and it went smooth as silk. Apparently not all the counties are subscribing to the interpretation of some others. I'm happy as can be, now, i have a fully tagged and licensed M1009. I be driving now! :driver:

Danger Ranger

Hoorah!!! Does this mean all military vehicles, like the deuce and such, will now be allowed to be titled in Iowa? Thats what I got out of it, and it sounds great. Maybe IA isn't such a bad state after all....lol.:whistle:

RealCavDog

SUCCESS!!!!

I went to the DMV at the courthouse today, gave my bill of sale and the Arizona title from GL, and 81 dollars later, BAM, new title and license plates. I'm glad, I was expecting a battle and it went smooth as silk. Apparently not all the counties are subscribing to the interpretation of some others. I'm happy as can be, now, i have a fully tagged and licensed M1009. I be driving now! :driver:

Thats what I thought, then 4 months later, the other shoe dropped ! In Missouri anyway !

NEIOWA

I received this from Representative Matt Windschitl on 4 April

Thank you for your email and your support. Today the House passed SF2112 and I attached the appropriate language to it that would have the same effect as HF2313 would have had. I have also spoken with the Senate and the DOT and I believe they will accept the amendment language and it very probably will become law.

Now a little bit of a wait. I will say some of these issues wake me up to who gets my vote in an election. I can also say all of my representative have been responsive to my communications.
It appears that SF2112 (as amended) was passed by the Senate Apr 9 last week, and it addresses the issues regarding title of DOD surplus vehicles.

So assuming Gov Branstad signs, problem solved.

Gastrap

It appears that SF2112 (as amended) was passed by the Senate Apr 9 last week, and it addresses the issues regarding title of DOD surplus vehicles.

So assuming Gov Branstad signs, problem solved.
Yes!

Apr. 09 12 Passed Senate, ayes 48, nays 2.

It will be interesting to see what IDOT thinks they have the power to do with this clause now....

"The department may adopt rules as necessary concerning the registration and titling of military vehicles in accordance with this chapter."

Hopefully no mare than a license plate light.

NEIOWA

Yes!

Apr. 09 12 Passed Senate, ayes 48, nays 2.

It will be interesting to see what IDOT thinks they have the power to do with this clause now....

"The department may adopt rules as necessary concerning the registration and titling of military vehicles in accordance with this chapter."

Hopefully no mare than a license plate light.
You got that right. The M925 I'm trying to title for my city is not complete yet. Apparently Iowa DOT is whining about safety stickers.

D6c

IA Dot still refusing titles...

Well, the IA DOT isn't on board yet...just yesterday they rejected issuing a title for my M931 5-ton tractor. So far the local office gave the reason that is was produced under contract for the govenmnet and therefore it isn't eligable for title.

Aparently the Governor signed IA SF2112 on April 19th 2012. An excerpt from the bill pertaining to Mil vehicles reads:

b. A military vehicle, other than a vehicle that runs on continuous tracks or wheels and tracks, that was originally manufactured for and sold directly to the armed forces of the United States in conformity with contractual specifications, as provided in 49 C.F.R. § 571.7, may be registered and issued a certificate of title if the owner provides satisfactory evidence to the department that the vehicle is substantially in compliance with federal motor vehicle safety standards. The department may adopt rules as necessary concerning the registration and titling of military vehicles in accordance with this chapter.

I don't know if the changes haven't trickeled down to the DOT or if they are using the language about safety standards to continue to restrict titles.

I have contact info for the person at the DOT that made the determination but haven't called them yet. I'm trying to gather as much info before talking to them.

Has anyone else had experience with this since the Bill was signed?

Link to SF2112 http://coolice.legis.state.ia.us/Co...ervice=Billbook&menu=false&ga=84&hbill=SF2112

Last edited:

D6c

Unfortunately the language specifically says that the bill doesn't apply tracked or combination wheel/track vehicles. Are they afraid someone is going to damage a road or are they worried about an armored vehicle?

What about a WWII half track? Would that be grandfathered in?

acvolt145

The new Iowa law goes into effect on July 1st, I have been personally involved in this fight for almost a year, now just patiently chomping at the bit for July 1 to roll around to get my m109A4 titled and registered.

D6c

Acvolt,
Thanks you for your efforts and also anyone else involved. I only became aware of the problem after buying an M931 this January so hopefully I won't have to wait too long.

acvolt145

No problem, I know there were lots of people that called state offices and state reps to push the issue, I'm just one of the many that it took to get this task accomplished!!!

D6c

Spoke the the IA DOT today....they were aware of the law change, but ouf course they don't have any idea what new guidelines will come out of it.

I asked about the situation with my M931 and was told that they don't title any vehicle without the federal safety sticker. The DOT asked why my title was sent to them fow review in the first place and when I told them it was because it had a 15-digit VIN she said "that's a big problem too"

She suggested I call them again in late June prior to the law taking effect July 1 and the new regs should be known by then.

I get the feeling that come July 1 they will start issuiing titles for military vehicles, but only if yoiu have the safety sticker and 17-digit VIN, which would still reject most vehicles....hope I'm wrong.

Don't know if it's true, but the local office told me that the DOT will sometime add digits to a VIN to get to 17 ( for example: adding an "IA" prefix ) and I assume the vehicle is stamped to match.

Does anyone know how old a truck has to be before the IA DOT doesn't worry about VIN# length and safety stickers?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks