• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Introducing....Boonierat

vtdeucedriver

A 5 ton truck would sneeze at that but a M37 would suffer and groan!
The 12 panels are for the cab and outer wall. I still have 4 inner walls and since I am making the gun box removable, I will have a floor to support it all. She won't sneeze at but I bet she will grunt a little.

WarrenD

About the 70 rattle cans - What brand and what number did you use? Always wondering about that stuff when I'm looking at photos on a computer.

Thanks.

Steve
Some of those were primer but at least 48 were color. I used Randolf 24087 as sold by Peter DeBella Jeep Parts. The Randolph 24087 is the old FS number and according to Randolph that same color formula is also listed as 24084 which is the modern closest reference to the 24087 used in Vietnam. It looks right in person, but as you point out, color on a computer doesn't always show as true. I can take several photos and by altering white balance, exposure and some other stuff come up with a bunch of photos that all look different.
Some of the cans used were wasted by me trying to get my technique down, some parts have more coats than others! Semi gloss is tough, the yellow gloss stripe on the hood was easy, a few light coats and done.

Srjeeper

We're Waitingggggggg.....

So Warren....still waiting to hear if we'll ever get to see the 'Boonie Rat' at a show like Sussex (hint-hint) or is this just for display at home...??????? :drool:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dammit that's awesome. I wish my old M37 became yours, it would have it's dream come true. Love to see it at a show, that's just too cool....

Danger Ranger

That is an awesome truck. Job well done. I am gonna hazard a guess that the armor is wood paneling, or some type of plastic sheeting...hmmm

WarrenD

At Ease! At Ease! As of now, I don't have any way to affordably transport the M37 out of state (or more than about a 50 mile radius from home) so it's staying close to home for the time being. If things in my life change for the better (ie a full time job, etc) I could see having the means to have a truck and trailer large enough to haul it around (and the bills for the fuel to do that) at which time I'll consider longer trips, but for now that's just not possible.

On a related note, for several years now I've been traveling to NJ, PA, VT and NH to see all YOUR vehicles so maybe it's time y'all hopped in the daily driver and paid us here in CT a visit? Out of loyalty to my club, COMVEC, I intend the 2012 COMVEC Show to be it's first MV Show. There are a few cruise-ins and car shows before June, but the COMVEC show will be it's first MV show.
If anyone is passing thru the area and wants to stop by for a look, you are always welcome as long as you make arrangements in advance.

SteveKuhn

"... I used Randolf 24087 as sold by Peter DeBella Jeep Parts. The Randolph 24087 is the old FS number and according to Randolph that same color formula is also listed as 24084 which is the modern closest reference to the 24087 used in Vietnam..." WarrenD

I don't wanna hijack the topic of the thread, but I'm grateful for that info. I have a friend whose M37 is original paint, that color, and now you've given me a great reference. My order for a couple of test cans goes in tomorrow.

And I'm with Bill about Sussex, adding that I'll bring my own slobber towels to see it in person.

Thanks.

Steve

WarrenD

Okay, as for the box material, it's 1/2" MDO faced and pre-primed both sides. The facing is resin, so no wood grain gets thru and the factory primer has a slight texture that looks like rolled steel. Handles and cuts like plywood, but the sheets are made for outdoor signs and when the edges are primed, filled, primed and painted they look just like metal. Aluminum angle in the corners to bolt them together and I used the existing holes in the bed to fasten the panels to the bed sides and front.

WarrenD

I cant believe that is the same truck I was riding in last year. Nice work.
Thanks, I assure you it is the same truck! Come to the COMVEC show and I'll give you a ride, you won't believe how much smoother and quieter it is (well, as quiet as a M37 can be. We all know I'm not sneaking up on anyone in a M37 :shock:)

Srjeeper

Why not drive it..:driver:..that's what the tires & motor are for...get AAA plus, then if anything breaks, they come pick ya up with a roll back and haul ya both home.

The best way to get to know your truck is to drive it and the more miles you put on it, the more confidence you'll get in it and you.

Beside, you know we'd never let ya sit...:beer:...we'd find somebody that don't know ya to come fetch ya up..:doh:

rofl

BillF

Thanks, I assure you it is the same truck! Come to the COMVEC show and I'll give you a ride, you won't believe how much smoother and quieter it is (well, as quiet as a M37 can be. We all know I'm not sneaking up on anyone in a M37 :shock:)
That is tempting to do. Maybe I can find someone that will tow my m38 down for me. You can always drive the M37 to Weare, Ed drove that truck every place he went and it made it without a hiccup and thats before you did all the work to it.

WarrenD

The best way to get to know your truck is to drive it and the more miles you put on it, the more confidence you'll get in it and you.

Beside, you know we'd never let ya sit...:beer:...we'd find somebody that don't know ya to come fetch ya up..:doh:

rofl
I'm sure that's true, Bill, and something that I'll have to find out for my own self. That's what this year will be about. This is my first MV and first non-daily driver. It's old and I know it needs some work but just what and how much I'm still finding out. After a few more repairs and new tires, it will be a summer of getting to know what is involved in driving it. For that, I'm staying local, within my insurance policy's 50 mile recovery radius. If things work out, I may range farther out but at 35-40 mph I can't see going too much farther. I'm not 19 anymore and the body doesn't like to be wedged in for long periods of time, a couple of hours at a time is about all I can take.

BlondeGuy

Warren. Thanks for the inspiration. My 19 year old Daughter has a M38 that we have decided to make into a Gun truck. It's gonna be a good Father/Daughter project when she gets home for the summer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks