• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery vehicle options... and DD maybe...

For light recovery and occasional DD what would you get?

• CUCV (M1009, M1008, or M1028)

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Civi Diesel

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Other (post a suggestion)

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

Durango_USMC

I don't own any green iron at the moment and I'm looking to correct that. As much as I'd love to park a Deuce on top of the work vans in my apartment's parking lot... someone would probably complain, even if I was considerate enough to put a drip pan under the engine. But I do plan on doing some business on GL and elsewhere that may require interstate travel. I don't usually have a whole lot of time so for me speed is a factor... Also I wouldn't use this truck to tow a deuce... maybe a CUCV on a trailer though... possibly tow bars but I'm looking into that. I may also depend on it as a daily driver from time to time as well...

So if you were in my shoes, would you get a CUCV type vehicle, a civilian pick up, or other (post your answer)

Edit... ignore the smiley in the pole option, it should be M1028

Last edited:

jtrojan715

get a dodge 3500 dually . tow any thing you want even a deuce. but I'm partial to the dodge trucks had an 06 dodge2500 tell the ex got it in the divorce

Durango_USMC

I like dodge too, not a fan of the transmissions though. Great engine, good looks, but the transmissions always seem to have issues that need corrected. I had a Durango, loved it when it worked, but having the transmission rebuilt almost yearly had a negative affect. So I'd like to do it right on round two. I've been lurking on TDR for a while...

jtrojan715

a dodge with a stick cant be beat! NO TUNING NEEDED!!!!!5-7k thats tough and i dont know enough about the other trucks to be much help still learning about my deuce. try to find people in your area that have some of the trucks your looking at and see if they'll let you poke around them and take you on a drive in them. good luck

Durango_USMC

One of my Frat Brothers a few years back let me borrow his 3500 extended cab and I loved that thing, it was an automatic but it was definitely a truck I enjoyed for the short time I had it. Braking and turning were a bit of an issue but it was easier to parallel park than my car. I'm not sure how many people around here have a M1028 or M1031 and I don't work at the base anymore to uh... function check... vehicles. Maybe I'll start hitting the used car lots. And find a way to re-learn driving a stick... although the last one I had couldn't keep up worth crap on the highway and that pissed me off to no end...

for 5-7k I can usually find one thats not too bad of shape but... 2WD :| or someones former mud toy in 4x4 thats been abused to crap or rusted to oblivion... and I generally wouldn't want anyways. But if I keep looking I'm sure I cna find something.

Does anyone here use a CUCV to tow a trailer with a vehicle on it cross country via interstate? whats the average speed? I'd like to keep up at least with the semi's so I dont get run over so to speak...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CUCV pickups have 4.56 gears so anything above 50 kills off fuel mileage. Most folks indicate they run their CUCV pickups near the 55 mark. I run mine between 60 and 65 and I can sure tell in the fuel budget.

Durango_USMC

I know the mileage won't be great I just need to make sure I can keep up with the slow lane. I remember a time when I had a little '93 ford ranger and I would top out at 65 in a 70mph zone and I'd almost be scared I'd get creamed by some of the bigger vehicles going the speed limit. Never worried about getting a ticket for anything but obstructing traffic.

Would you happen to know what to look for in a 6.5L V8 OHV 16V TURBO DIESEL engine? I may be looking at a '95 GMC 2500 not great but for less than a CUCV I can't complain too much... a fair bit of rust on the rockers and bed above the fender flares, interior looks ok. engine looks a bit dirty but I think its worth taking a look at.

Last edited:

ryan77

CUCV pickups have 4.56 gears so anything above 50 kills off fuel mileage. Most folks indicate they run their CUCV pickups near the 55 mark. I run mine between 60 and 65 and I can sure tell in the fuel budget.
Any thing above 50 kills the ear drums also!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks