• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A1 Build

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SO several years ago I ended up with a super useful M101A3. From that point on, the M101A1 was largely ignored. I even went as far as to install a steel topper off of a pickup truck and use it for storage. After a while I got tired of seeing it (as usually happens) and hitched up and hauled it away. Dropped it off at a friends house as a gift. It ended up at the FL Rally site where it sat for a couple of years and has now made it back south and it being resurrected. The A1 axle and NDTs were scrapped in favor of a 5200# axle with the bolt pattern to match the M1009 that will be towing it. M1009 rims and matching 33" tires were used as well. Thus far the frame has been blasted and painted with all new wiring harness and LED tail lights. The bed has had the fenders removed and are awaiting install a little farther out. The steel topper will be re utilized but with mods. It was elevated 4" and had removable jacks placed at all 4 corners so that it could be removed anywhere. Inside there will be a 50 gallon transfer tank in the nose of the topper. The topper has tons of LED strips and lights up nice inside. Attached are a few pics of where the trailer is now. Progress is slow but as it does progress, I'll add pics.

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few more of the topper. Note in the previous post, there is a spare tire hoist. The spare will be under the trailer. In the front you can see where the filler is so that the transfer tank can be filled from outside. Also a pic of the transfer tank, frame and battery to operate same.

Attachments

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good so far. When you get to the spare tire hoist, please post up. My Son is building a 101a3 for camping and we're not set on a spare location.

Thanks for posting this, Ron

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm trying to decide what to do with my M101. I know I pushed a little harder than I should have on the way home. Noticed the A1 tires were getting warm when I stopped for fuel. Wish I could just find some tubeless wheels for it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think there is any way to keep the NDTs cool. Fully inflated on an empty trailer at 55 they get hot. If you plan on towing it with the CUCV, change axles. Timntrucks may still have an A3 axle I traded him a few years back.

busbart

or you can use athe Michelin XZL 255/100R16 tire, that's a Radial tire to be used with or without tubes! (says so at the tire itself!) and 255/100R16 is the Metric replacement from 9.00/16, and they have a awesome 3750 Lbs single and 3525 Lbs dually capacity.
and they fit the original M-37 rims!

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are 2 shots of the spare tire tucked underneath. I'm waiting on a side shot but it looks like it belongs there. The tire hoist was off of a mid 90s Chevy truck and was a $7 junk yard purchase.
Thank you, we're going to the junk yard, need several of those.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try to find a hoist off of a 3/4 ton if you can. The hook that attaches to the rim is bigger for the larger center hole.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks