• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Insurance for ex military unimog needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jomueller

:idea:
Calling everyone who can hear me!

I bought a 1968 unimog in Europe and will have it shipped soon to the U.S. of A. Trouble is that no insurance company I contacted so far wants to deal with that vehicle. May be I make the wrong statements and scare them instead of putting them at ease.

The vehicle should be insured as a classic because I do not want to use it for anything. Just enjoy putting around and make it look good and eventually present it at a show. I do not even want insurance against theft because of the low value and the difficulty to steal such a thing anyway. The radio truck is 10 ft. tall and does not fit into any garage so I would like to keep it at a guarded storage facility where they have boats and RVs.

How does that sound? Does anyone have insurance on a mog and let me in on what it takes to get the vehicle covered?

Thanks so much in advance,

Jo

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jo, contact Gulfway in the Tampa area. Guarantee they can insure it, they cover my junk that lives outside

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I insured my 404 with State Farm in WV and Allstate in VA. No problems on either end and the rates were very cheap with liability and comprehensive. You just got to know how to talk to your agent.

sermis

I have my M725 and M35 with Hagerty. No off road, towing, ect and they are happy. About $130 a year with both insured for $5000 each.

jomueller

Thanks to Y'all out there for giving me such a warm welcome with concrete answers.

Happy and prosperous New Year to Everyone plus their friends!

Jo

pullthepin

Re: RE: Insurance for ex military unimog needed

sermis said:
I have my M725 and M35 with Hagerty. No off road, towing, ect and they are happy. About $130 a year with both insured for $5000 each.
I also have mine insured with Hagerty,(53M-37) Full Coverage,agreed value of $7000.00
must be stored in locked garage,$120.00 a year.
Gregg

vtunimog

This can be tough. Your insurance agent and underwriter should have a classification for Mercedes benz, B Class or Mercedes Benz 4x4. They hear Unimog and think big heavy truck. If you have a 404 that is the easiest to insure, when you get into 1550, 1750 etc the heavier duty trucks then you have to get real creative.

Specialty insurance co's are just fine, however some are pretty adamant on excluding any sort of off-road use. Sort of defeats having a Unimog.

Just remember, Mercedes Benz 4x4, B class. 1.5 Ton pickup. ;-)

Cheers

Chris M

pullthepin

Specialty insurance co's are just fine, however some are pretty adamant on excluding any sort of off-road use. Sort of defeats having a Unimog.

I don't think anyone will cover your ride when Off Roading.

Gregg

saddamsnightmare

November 22nd, 2007.
Dear Sir: You may also want to check with NAtionwaide Mutual out of Canton,OH, they insure my 404.114 as a conventional Four Wheel Drive Pickup, and due to the virtually unknown incidence of these trucks rolling over, they charge me less for it then my wife's 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, and about $140.00 per year less then for the 1989 Ford F250 I sold back in May. The Unimog has legendary stability, and if you check the 404.114 stats, they can ascend a 100%(45* slope) and handle a 22+* sideslope loaded. Mine handles better then any regular 4x4 I've owned, and if you allow for the greater weight and slower accelleration, they're pretty even tempered for an ex farm tractor ( remember- it's a fast tractor, but a very slow truck (max speed 63 MPH, mine won't do over 49.73 with the canvas on). Have fun, stay safe, and be prepared for the "What is it" questions.
Regards,

Kyle F. McGrogan

dc3coyote

I used USAA with a GA address on it for My Pinz 712 $186 a year, with $20,000 in replacement cost. In FL USAA would not insure me they had me go to a collectors insurance with a ton of limitations on it "must be parked inside, no offroad driving, and only 2.000 miles a year" I could not live with that.
Try using a GA address they are more than happy to work with you.
Branan

Mike_Pop

I had no problem insuring my U1300L in New Jersey and Nevada. I had Liberty Mutual in NJ, Progressive in NV. My agent in Nevada only asked me if it was a Pinzgauer because they won't insure those. Oh...I had commercial insurance in both states.

krick3tt

404 insurance

I had my 404 insured through Farmers. Had policies with this agent for all my vehicles and home. I would just call him and say ' I bought a truck' and give him the VIN and make
never an issue. An MB truck, year and VIN. Unless they have to take pics if it is a vintage vehicle you should be good.
Most agents cannot insure a vehicle outside their home state but the company can, just use another agent in your state. They make money to insure folks and everyone wants to make money. Dont talk about off-road, it's just a truck, remember?
Jeeps go off-road and no one says anything about them.

Morris, ex-Unimog owner
Pinzgauer 710M, M416 trailer

MOGSTER

RE: 404 insurance

I used Allstate .64 merz,4x4 box truck with 15,000 gvw . My 404 was my daily driver for five years in San Diego,CA 500$ a year.I even had a few fender (whole side of explorer dented in)benders.Good luck and remember smile when you drive,its your army truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks