• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tyndall AFB, FL - recovery

lilgiff

Going to be picking up a deuce (1985 M35A2C) at Tyndall as soon as my EUC clears. Hopeful I can drive it back here to Ocala without much trouble.

If I do have problems, just wondering if there are some helpful folks near or around the route where I could stash the truck for a night for repairs?

Route will be I-10 east to I-75 south to Ocala. May consider the back roads...

Thx,
Steve

Also, did they manufacture these things in the 80s?? Or is it listed as 1985 because that's when it was "reconditioned"? Just curious.

lavarok

Those Tyndall trucks looked rough the past few auctions. Most had no batteries and you should check with the site to make sure they will allow you to work on it and drive it off location.

I seem to recall something about them only allowing them to be transported. Good luck and post lots of pictures. I hope you got a nice one.

bonshawman

(1) What were you planning on going to get it with - a driver in a POV and your intention is to drive it home? Panama City to Ocala is a "fair run".
(2) Without knowing the driveability (especially air system, which can also impact ability to tow) - what is your backup plan?
(3) What is your mechanical experience/skill set ?
(4) What are you planning on bringing in the way of supplies, parts, etc?

I don't know if there are any SS members who can provide any pre-arrival inspection, or if the GL rep on-site can. Gathering intel well in advance may help. Even an initial EUC can come back quick (mine was 5 days, another 10) so be prepared for the ticking clock to start.

I am well south of Ocala so can't offer much help. Just be prepared for the unknown.

lilgiff

Taking a decent recovery kit, batteries from my other deuce, filters, fluids, etc. Mechanical skills/ability is fair.

We are going with the hopes that batteries and fuel (ether) will get it running. But if not, we plan to flat tow it off the base with a tow bar to a close-by lot where we can diagnose and repair the problem(s).

Just in case, I wanted to have a "plan c" location where we could tow it. Perhaps a SS member willing to secure the truck for a night or two while I get parts.

Steve

bonshawman

Now Ray...of course if I were closer I could take some of the new paint of that fine tow bar I picked up from you last Saturday and go for a joy ride in the 931 LOL
Steve

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you have a deuce and a towbar, why not just pull the axles and spline caps and tow it home till you can go through it and make sure its in good cond.

lilgiff

Well... maybe I should go that route. Just modify the towbar with a pintle hitch hook up? Hmm.. Is there a diagram or picture of a towbar specific to that application? Can't imagine it would be hard to fabricate... but why reinvent the wheel if such a thing exists!

Steve

bonshawman

Specific military medium duty tow bar with lunette for pintle and attachment to the brackets of your deuce (or axle clamps) - plus lighting, air hook ups as applicable.

bonshawman

Couple of MVPA guys in the greater Ocala area (did you go to the Feb show @ Markets of Marion??) - I am sure one of them has a milspec towbar you could borrow - do you know them?

bonshawman

Couple of MVPA guys in the greater Ocala area (did you go to the Feb show @ Markets of Marion??) - I am sure one of them has a milspec towbar you could borrow - do you know them?

lilgiff

I did go to the show. Pretty awesome! It was before I got Deuce #1.. or ever dreamed of Deuce 2! So I did not know anyone or have any clue what questions to ask. There were lots of great parts for sale that I could use now... but that will wait for next year's show.

JB

I am in tallahassee and might be able to help. Unfortunately i could not offer much help during the day with an 8-5 job. We have a couple parts trucks if parts are needed. Dad is retired and may could help. Send a PM when you get the green light and i will do what i can.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a side note -- NO air hookups on a deuce. AND, judging by the condition of those trucks, I'd be leary of towing them.

lilgiff

Yeah, I had to go look... there are no air hookups on the front of my deuce.

I would like to either make or borrow a tow bar... as plan C or D. Like everyone says... hope for the best but plan for the worst??

lilgiff

Thank you VERY much Phil. I may take you up on the offer. Waiting til the EUC clears (this is my first so who knows..) then I'll confirm my plan.

Meanwhile, I'm going to pay pctrans a visit this weekend over in the Tampa area and check a few things off my parts-wanted list.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks