• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tyndall AFB, FL - recovery

bigbry67

Does anyone have pictures of their mil spec Deuce towbar? Recovery with one of the other Deuces and fabricated tow bar might be the best option.

vtdeucedriver

Dont fabricate a tow bar................I would think the liability issues "if" something were to happen. There are plenty of govt contract ones out there.

phil2968

Besides that, if GL let's you tow off the lot, it will have to be with a military tow bar. Need good tow lights and safety chains also. If the truck has dual circuit brakes they can still be fed into the airpacks it will just take more hose and a tee.
You'll need 2 of these to hook an air hose straight into the airpack chamber.
EquipSupply - Adapter, Hose 1/4 NPT x 1/2 NPS

lilgiff

I guess we need to go get it with the other deuce and a mil spec towbar. Is there anyone in central or north FL who could loan me one? (with a deposit, obviously)

Steve

lilgiff

My EUC cleared today so I am on the clock.. Going to borrow a towbar this weekend. Going to Napa tomorrow for a new set of fuel filters and some DOT 5.. and probably anything else I see that might be remotely useful!

Anyone know of some parts trucks or mil boneyards in the area? Just thinking ahead in case we need parts to get it home.

Last edited:

lavarok

Besides that, if GL let's you tow off the lot, it will have to be with a military tow bar. Need good tow lights and safety chains also. If the truck has dual circuit brakes they can still be fed into the airpacks it will just take more hose and a tee.
You'll need 2 of these to hook an air hose straight into the airpack chamber.
EquipSupply - Adapter, Hose 1/4 NPT x 1/2 NPS
Please follow Phil's advice for hooking up the air & airpack to allow braking in the towed truck. I had a recent run in myself where doing so would have saved me a lot of time and money. Safety first!

lilgiff

Mapped a route along the gulf shore to Perry, FL then south to Ocala. Definately staying away from the interstates. Should be a nice drive!

lilgiff

I'm still a little surprised that my EUC cleared already. First time EUC, and it goes through in 13 days? From what I have read, that seems fast doesn't it?

Pinz25086

A buddy and I picked up a deuce there last fall. All I can say is watch for wasps! The truck we got was FULL of wasps. There were nests everywhere! We both were stung more than a couple of times. They are staged at the end of a runway and have been there for a long, long time. Bring wasp spray with you if you plan on working on the truck there. The one we picked up needed batteries, fuel, starting fluid and it did start. It did not have any brakes but we loaded it on a flatbed and towed her home. After a brake inspection and a bleed, it has been a great truck. Good luck on your recovery and post some pictures when you get it home.

Wayne

lilgiff

Well folks, I am happy to say it was a successful recovery. Thanks to ALL for the guidance and support but particularly AV8OR for the use of his towbar (backup plan Bravo) as well as JB and Stonepicker1 for volunteering backup plans Charlie and Delta!

We drove my D Turbo Deuce up to Mexico Beach on Monday and camped at an RV site. She ran like a sewing machine, never missed a beat! It was pretty chilly but the cargo cover I picked up from PCTRANS served us well! :beer:
I got the call Tuesday morning to rendezvous with the GL contact at Tyndall and went in. We did a quick assessment of the truck; dipped the fuel tank to check for gel and contents. It appeared to be 10+/- gallons of AV fuel. I drained most of it, added fresh diesel and a can of SeaFoam while my brother R&R'd the batteries. We checked the fluid levels and made the decision to try cranking it.

It fired up and ran great! The tires were up, brakes were good, shifted good... The only issue was a fuel leak in the return line so we drove it off base. Made it to Port St. Joe and pulled in to the auto parts store where we got 2 feet of fuel line and fixed the leak. Then drove to the closest gas station for fuel and air in the tires.

The next stop wasn't for another 3 hours... Drove HWY 98 along the gulf coast to Perry, FL where we got lunch and topped off the tanks. Finally, we headed down HWY 27 to Ocala and home. Successful recovery!

Here are some pics: The "sewing machine" set up at the RV campsite Monday evening, a few pics of the convoy back to Ocala, and some of the truck here at home. Enjoy!
[thumbzup]

Attachments

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good looking truck. The drive down the Gulf is nice; I've done it many times. Beautiful day for a drive in your new deuce!

vinny-socom1

I can't believe I missed this post......I've got a tow bar, lights, chain set up...nice looking truck glad everything worked out for your trip!!

Vinny
352-258-1393cell

lilgiff

I am curious, about how much does a truck like that cost when you bid on it?
Ballpark would be fine. I want one.
Thanks
I have read some pretty strict rules on here about discussing GL auctions. It's probably best if you go on GL, create an account, then just watch some trucks at auction. You can gather a lot of good data that way (high/low/median prices).

Good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks