• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

unrelated hyperlinks

jesusgatos

Anybody else notice that suddenly there are a lot of 'key words' showing up as hyperlinks in posts? Finding it to be a little bit distracting, as those links are usually posted by members about something related to the topic. Would it be possible to distinguish advertising-type hyperlinks from member-posted hyperlinks? Thanks.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I have not noticed this. Are the hyperlinks being inserted server-side? Or are they links that members manually and deliberately linked to? I do run an ad blocker, but I don't know if it would strip things like that. I would most likely go non-linear if a favorite site such as SS started cramming in targeted ads, particularly if I was a paying contributor to the site.

If it's members who are linking to things spam-style, then, fire up the flamethrowers! ;)

cpf240

It's definitely server-side. Take a look at this post. Words and phrases like 'apply' and 'gas and oil' are linking to advertisements.
Odd, I don't see any links in that post, even on the words mentioned above. Have you run any adware or spyware scanners? I like Spybot Search and Destroy. Its possible something got into your browser.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I do not see it, the site does have a deal with google for the upper left banner but that is all I see

shenkmen

Anybody else notice that suddenly there are a lot of 'key words' showing up as hyperlinks in posts? Finding it to be a little bit distracting, as those links are usually posted by members about something related to the topic. Would it be possible to distinguish advertising-type hyperlinks from member-posted hyperlinks? Thanks.
That my friend is one of the first signs of rabbititus.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nzeyWrPamg[/media]

Or you have spyware / adware on you computer. (seriously)

Update and run your virus protection. If that doesn't cure it download, install and run one or both of these...

The home of Spybot-S&D!

Ad-Aware Free - Download Internet Security Software with Antivirus & Spyware Removal - Lavasoft

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I don't see the links, either. I suspect they must get inserted somewhere between the SS server and your screen. Maybe by an intermediate server like your ISP, or maybe by software running on your computer. In any case, it seems like something that should be hunted down and exterminated, in my humble opinion.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As mentioned a program might have been downloaded that is doing this to you on your computer. I guess it has probably been resolved by now.

Turning off java & javascript usually stops it. Most would be surprised how many sites work very well without javascript except for certain functions needed only at times, and by not running by default it you unload a ton of work which those scripts offload from the site to your machine and gobble up memory and CPU on your machine without benefit to the PC owner.

"Contextual advertising has attracted some controversy through the use of techniques such as third-party hyperlinking, where a third-party installs software onto a user's computer that interacts with the web browser. Keywords on a webpage are displayed as hyperlinks that lead to advertisers."
-wikipedia.

Last edited:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Next time this sort of thing happens, the member could (if they understand how) save the displayed stuff as "source", which would help show us what s going on, possibly what the isue may be.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks