• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ARB Rockwell Lockers on the way, soon! Reserve yours today!

dshock

Well, after a long wait, ARB has decided to produce a selectable, air-powered locking differential for the 2 1/2 ton Rockwell Axles. They will be running an initial production run on this new, hot locker in February with another run of 50 planned for April. They are going fast, so if you are excited to get one and get it installed you need to reserve one today.

I am allowing people to reserve their unit(s) for only $100 each. I also have the lowest advertised price on the web! Visit: http://www.powerwagonlocker.com/rock_price.html for all the details!

Happy Holidays and Best Wishes in the new year!

Dan

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: ARB Rockwell Lockers on the way, soon! Reserve yours to

Dan, any pics of preproduction models? Where is the air intoduced to the ARB? Got any more technical details, tough to pluck out a grand without seeing what you get.

dshock

I do not have any pictures of the Rockwell units, but the design is very similar to their 14 bolt design. The air is introduced through a patented device that sits between the bearing and the differential case. ARB has been the pioneer and World Leader in Air Lockers for the past 30 years. I have the highest degree of confidence in their ability to build a World-class device. In fact, I just went through this process with them on the locker for the Power Wagon Dodge 9 5/8" axle and had to commit to 100 units before I saw the design. They came through with flying colors and have received nothing but outstanding reviews!

Here is some info from the ARB website: http://arbusa.com/air_locker_design_engineering.php

Thanks for the interest and feel free with any additional questions!

Dan

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

just looking at the design, it looks to me as if the arb locker turns the diff into one solid axle, what happens when you try to turn while the arb is engaged. (if the truck is loaded i see a twristed axle or blown diff) i see this working in a light weight rock crawler but not in a heavy 6x6 truck.
i would think a lemited slip diff would work better for our trucks than a locker
i may be wrong, ive been wrong before, just ask my x wife, she can tell you EVERY time i was

dshock

Ron,

Yes, the ARB unit - when engaged - fully locks the differential. In a turn, with the locker engaged, one of the tires will need to slip. This is not a big problem on low traction surfaces, but can cause high axle loads in high traction situations such as pavement. This actually highlights the benefit of the ARB versus a traditional automatic locking differential such as the Detroit Locker that has been available for the Rockwell for 30 years. The ARB allows the operator complete control turning the differential on and off as conditions require. Lockers are not new to heavy duty trucks. Many government issue trucks around the world are equipped with Selectable and Automatic Locking differentials. Used appropriately the locker should never cause any problems related to the drivetrain.

Great Question, Ron.

Dan

BFR

Rocket Surgeon

hijack... has anyone ever attempted to add a clean & dry branch to the deuce air system? I personally wouldn't want to send the crap that comes out of my tanks into an arb.

dshock

It is definitely possible to power your locker through the on-board air system on the Duece. However, if it were me, I would likely add a cksa12 compressor just for use with the locker. It is $125. Includes a wiring harness for installation. Has ports that the electric solenoid for each locker threads into, and is a perfect unit for the locker. And, it protects the locker from any trouble with your air system and isolates the rest of your air system from any problems with your locker air lines or other problems.

Thanks for the interest!
Dan

mcinfantry

bfr, you want a 24volt compressor? or solenoids? or both?

im thinking of buying three...... then ill have less to worry about, offroad.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dan, I'm familiar with the ARB, guess my question is more along the lines of where does the air penetrate the rockwell differential. Air has to get to the ARB from somewhere? On the following design, the differential is locked via an air cylinder on the outside. I know the ARB is actuated from the inside.

Attachments

M1075

Dan-

I would like to order a few. What delivery date correlates with the deposit? Feb or April? If production or shipping of the locker is delayed, at what point is the $100 deposit refundable by choice?

rmgill

Why would a shuttle valve pushing some air be a huge bother for the diff? It's moving a pistion no? That's not a lot of air movement. Wouldn't some air lines be simpler and more bullet proof?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm thinking the air line would have to go in through a hole in the third member above the oil level. Most off-road shops drill and tap the case of the 14-bolt on the top and run the line down to the locker. The rockwell line could come from the right or left of the pinion support casting, depending which way you're looking.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
ARB's website lists the RDCKA24 as a 24V compressor. Just think your tax refund will arrive somewhere around then 8)

dshock

Great questions and comments, everyone!!!

1) The airline will penetrate the third member casting with a tapped whole similar to the Power Wagon and other Banjo type axles that ARB builds. Essentially, ARB uses a patented design that is superior to all previously built selectable lockers. It is simpler in design, install and serviceability.

2) Yes, the rdcka24 is the ARB 24 volt compressor. It has all the above benefits of the Cksa12, but is slightly larger. I should have listed it above.

3) If your deposit is received in time to book the order for the February production date, then they should be shipped late Feb., with 4-5 weeks ocean shipment and delivery late March / early April. If your order is received in time for the April production date then they will be available approximately 2 months later. Once I hear that the Feb. order is booked, I will update my website.

The reason that the deposit is forfeited in the event of non-payment is that when the deposit is received I will be committing to an order with ARB. Once I do that, I will not be able to cancel the order and if the purchase is not completed by the buyer then I will have to ship the unit to my shop and carry in inventory. I hope that doesn't happen even once, but in that event, the deposit will help me cover those costs.

I am really trying to make sure that these lockers are available to you guys and don't all get bought up by the big chains pushing availability into next year. I will work with you any way that I can! Please don't hesitate to ask questions.

Have a great day,
Dan

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BFR if you are worried about stuff in the system here's what I will most likely do.
I'm installing a air dryer-filter in my system after the tanks to protect my new brake booster.
If and when I get the lockers I will go to Home depot and get the mini regulator and water separator, think they also have a filter to.
I will place this rig under the dash so you cant see it and feed the flip switch.
Also with this set up you can reduce the air pressure to the locker.
Don't think it will need 110psi.
If I had to guess 50lb. would do it. Maybe dshock can at this time answer that question,if not no biggie as it will come with instructions on min. pressure.
Not trying to be smart but why would someone add another compressor when you got a real nice one on the truck?

rdixiemiller

BFR- Filter/regulators are easy to find and quite common in industrial applications. Check McMaster Carr, MSC, or Grainger. All sizes and types are available.
A little oil won't hurt an air cylinder. If water and rust are present, that can cause problems.
Most air systems in industry have FLR's. Filter/Lubricator/Regulator. These have a coalescing filter to remove oil, particulates, and water. Then an oiler to provide metered amounts of whatever kind of oil you need for your device, then an in-line regulator to allow you to set the needed pressure to the device.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You could tap into the air line for the horn with a T or use the underdash fitting. Put a regulator with a small drier/filter right after that followed by a manifold for the ARB lines.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
oddly enough I'll need to turn up my air... from my experience arb's like about 90psi which is where my governor is set.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My XM757 has 7 (seven) different air systems, including 100% air brakes. It uses the a compressor system almost identical to the deuce's, but has the air supply tube permanently connected to the engine air intake canister, an alcohol evaporator and one "wet" tank (like the deuce) plus two "dry" tanks. I'm sure that the system on the deuce is good enough for the occasional use of the locker. How often, a few times a year?

An air dryer needs 24vdc for heat, I suspect it could be a maintenace problem in the long run and you may still need the alcohol evaporator. The FMTV's us it. It collects water, which must be kept from freezing also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks