• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

If you can't delete it you don't need it.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
OK, I tried being nice and have some fun about getting and keeping the CLASSIFIEDS under CONTROL with,
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/forum-news/83956-rons-classified-news.html

I tried getting a bit more serious and put out some HINTS with,
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/forum-news/84643-classifids-cleanup.html

Now NO more HINTS or FUN & GAMES, DEAD ADS are a waste of time for everyone,
Classifieds RULE #6---DELETE DEAD ADS, or update the thread as items are sold.

SO this is the WAY IT IS.
IF YOU CAN'T DELETE IT YOU DON'T NEED IT.
AND remember NO PRICE, NO AD.

The reason for this is I have been deleting DEAD ads since day one, as most know I have been going though the classifieds ad by ad, sending PMs to almost every older ad poster, of the responses so far, about 1/5 is a dead ad. I have just started this project and all ready see where this is heading with a 1 in 5 being a dead ad, NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

These are the the reason that have been given for not deleting dead ads

1---"I forgot",
you don't forget TP when you take a crap, clean up your own mess, nobody should have to clean it for you.
2---"I do not know how",
How hard is it to ASK, this is NOT rocket science
3---"I was meaning to, just have not got to it yet",
I would Really SUGGEST that you get to it before I do
4---"Did not know it was required",
You read (or last you said you did) the rules, If this is a problem, I can fix this VERY EASY, just make it so EVERY time a ad is posted, it will be REQUIRED that you read the rules, this would apply to EVERYONE, no matter if you have 20,000 post or the ad is your first post.
5---"I sold out, but might be getting more in the future",
Duh, delete, then post a new ad when you get more.
6---"I decided not to delete the ad because there is some useful stuff in the thread",
This is a classified ad, not a how to forum, if something is worth saving, move it to the forum then delete, but not deleting is NOT a OPTION
7---"I could not delete my ad from my phone",
I would REALLY SUGGEST that you do A or B or C if you want to place ads,
A--DONOT use your phone.
B--Update your phone so you can.
C--Do not post a ad if you can not delete it.
8---I forgot to have YOU (MOD) delete the ad,
I do not see where in the rules saying "have the MOD delete the ad", Trust me, from NOW ON you DO NOT want me to delete a ad.

I was put here to keep the CLASSIFIESD under control, not let it get like the OLD classifieds which everybody bitched about, I aim to do my JOB, if you all want classifieds as part of SS, it STAYS under control, OR we can dump the classifieds, there always is Gl, CL, EBAY, PENNY SAVER, ect., ect. YOUR CHOICE.

The WAR for the control of the CLASSIFIEDS WILL BE WON
This war Not was started be the SITE, by ME, nor by the MANNNNNNNNNNNY PMs that have been received, both before and after I became the CLASSIFIEDS MOD, BUT by the people who do not want to followed the SIMPLE RULES, so something had to be done, thus the CLASSIFIEDS WAR

The PRICE battle is about won.
The Duplicate battle is about won.
The DELETE battle will be won.
The RESPOND battle is next. I will NOT E-MAIL or PHONE to get a response, neither should anybody else have to, if you do not WANT or ABLE to answer a PM, do not post a ad.
As in any war there will be CASUALIIES, so if you want to fight this,
FIRST time-----the SITE deletes a ad for cause,= WARNING
SECOND time-The SITE deletes a ad for cause,= ALL ads deleted, Infraction.
THIRD time----the SITE deletes a ad for cause,= ALL ads deleted plus 1 week BEFORE new ad post, Infraction.
FOURTH time-the SITE deletes a ad for cause,= ALL ads deleted plus 1 month BEFORE new ad post, Infraction.
FIFTH time----the SITE deletes a ad for cause,= CL & Ebay will become your friend.
CAUSE can mean PRICE, DEPLICATE ad, NO RESPONSE as well as DEAD ads
There are exception BUT thay will be on a very limited case by case basses, PM or CALL me and we will talk

The bottom line is this- the classifieds WILL be user friendly without a bunch of crap, and for those that get there panties in a knot over this, learn to speak in a HIGH voice.

There is the FORUM RULES
There is the CLASIFIEDS RULES
There is NO EXPTIONS, OPTIONS, DISCCUSSIONS, or NEGOTIAITIONS, we have this in the forum and now in the classifieds

One more thing, those that think POUND SAND, ECT. is a proper response, remember CL AND EBAY is YOUR ONLY FRIEND,

Last edited:

Bighurt

Not to be the devils advocate but it would really easy if there was a tab or link of something on my user cp to MY ads. I understand I can search the forum for my user name, but...

How does this effect wanted ads?

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Not to be the devils advocate but it would really easy if there was a tab or link of something on my user cp to MY ads. I understand I can search the forum for my user name, but...

How does this effect wanted ads?
The same, a dead ad is a dead ad, once the WANT is taken care of, DELETE the ad

It is the AD POSTERs responsibility to monitor and manage there ads, if thay cannot remember what ads are theres , WRITE it down

Last edited:

Bighurt

It is the AD POSTERs responsibility to monitor and manage there ads, if thay cannot remember what ads are theres , WRITE it down
I deleted my ads...

I'll use another source until the site tools equal the strength of the moderation, in regard to classifieds.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll use another source until the site tools equal the strength of the moderation, in regard to classifieds.
You can subscribe to your own ads(threads). You can even get an email anytime a new post gets posted.

Last edited:

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keeping the classifieds in good shape is a huge service. Thank you.

I remember trying to buy a truck and parts in the old classifieds. I wasted a lot of time trying to buy items that were no longer available and was shocked the first time someone actually had a part to sell. :)

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome Job Ron, you did a nice job outlining clear rules. I particularly liked the commentary on the reasons that ads have not been deleted.

I can not see anyone not understanding what the rules are now:)

We will win the WAR !!!!!!!!!!!!

Bighurt

You can subscribe to your own ads(threads). You can even get an email anytime a new post gets posted.
Yup just like other threads, which is sorta my point. The Mod's aren't concerned with dead threads just dead ads. Threads provide information which can be just as important as parts or product.

I just find it irritating that there are rules like ad sites, moderation like ad sites and over site like ad sites, yet we have no tools like ad sites.

I can't view my ads without searching, nor can I see statistics of my ad. We don't even have a defined format like ad sites. In reality the new ads aren't ads at all, the old ads would close if you "commit to buy", the new ads are just common threads. With one difference additional rules and moderation.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yup just like other threads, which is sorta my point. The Mod's aren't concerned with dead threads just dead ads. Threads provide information which can be just as important as parts or product.

I just find it irritating that there are rules like ad sites, moderation like ad sites and over site like ad sites, yet we have no tools like ad sites.

I can't view my ads without searching, nor can I see statistics of my ad. We don't even have a defined format like ad sites. In reality the new ads aren't ads at all, the old ads would close if you "commit to buy", the new ads are just common threads. With one difference additional rules and moderation.
My concern IS the CLASSIFIEDS, a TOTALLY separate sub forum that is covered by the main forum rules AND the CLASSIFIEDS rules, take up the dead thread in the main forum issue with the ADMIN

SS is NOT a AD SITE but a MV SITE that has a classifieds section for the use of members

DO you want to back to the OLD classifieds, the ONLY reason we have the NEW classifieds is because the OLD classifieds was a total mess which almost 100% of the members bitched about, maybe we will do a poll -NEW or OLD classifieds

Last edited:

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I agree that a "My Classified Ads" button, field, tab, etc. in the user control panel would be helpful. However, as I was about to post this reply, it occurred to me that we already have a close approximation to that feature available: Subscriptions can be sorted into different folders, other than the default "Subscriptions" folder. I simply created a "Classified Ads" folder, and then put my classified ad subscription (I just have one ad up right now) into it. We're expected to subscribe to our own ads anyway so that we can promptly respond to any replies in the ad thread. Once the folder has been created, it's a simple matter to select the new folder at the same time that you add the subscription. Then, it's easy to see all of your ads in one place, all by themselves, by looking in the appropriate subscription folder in your user control panel.

It'd be nice if the classified ad area automated some of the special ad rules, such as automatically being subscribed to, automatically going into an appropriate folder, and having a one-click way to get to all of them. Stuff like that may be worth considering next time site upgrades are being made. In the mean time, I think that the existing subscription folders give us the tools to make complying with the ad rules pretty painless.

Maybe it would help if the ad rules included a brief guide describing how to set up a special subscription folder and then use it? Not everybody here is highly computer-savvy, and even the technophiles might not be aware of the subscription folder feature.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
My concern IS the CLASSIFIEDS, a TOTALLY separate sub forum that is covered by the main forum rules AND the CLASSIFIEDS rules, take up the dead thread in the main forum issue with the ADMIN
I think you missed his point. He wasn't complaining about dead ads in the main forum. He was stating that the ad section has different rules than the main forum, but it's accessed with the same tools as the main forum, and those tools are optimized for the main forum rules. I don't think anybody was even suggesting that the "old ads" were a good thing.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't see whats so hard about clicking on your name in online users section on the left of every page , then click on all threads started by , it will take you right to your classified ads you post.

Keep up the good work Ron !!!!! [thumbzup][thumbzup][thumbzup][thumbzup][thumbzup]

Bighurt

SS is NOT a AD SITE but a MV SITE that has a classifieds section for the use of members

DO you want to back to the OLD classifieds, the ONLY reason we have the NEW classifieds is because the OLD classifieds was a total mess which almost 100% of the members bitched about, maybe we will do a poll -NEW or OLD classifieds
Like I said I'm playing devils advocate. I really don't care, I'm not a seller. I deleted my wanted ads because, A there a pain to manage and B they have the potential for a long run time.

I was just trying to offer a suggestion or improvement to what you've already done. Which doesn't mean I think your doing a bad job either.

What I don't appreciate is you standing on you soap box yelling at us minions how we can't manage our ads. Then seem apposed to suggestion on how to make it better. I thought providing a tool to view "my ads" would increase the ability to monitor the ads and really it's not difficult to do. At the very least it's another tool you can use against miss-management.

It's not my site so I'll just pull out my USAF issued coloring book and shut up.

I'm what could I know I only sold retail over the internet over the last 5 years.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I don't see whats so hard about clicking on your name in online users section on the left of every page , then click on all threads started by , it will take you right to your classified ads you post.
It will take you right to a list of every thread that you started. Your mileage may vary, but most of the threads I've started are not classified ads, and my single classified ad is buried in a much longer list. I think this is precisely what Bighurt is pointing out.

Keep up the good work Ron !!!!! [thumbzup][thumbzup][thumbzup][thumbzup][thumbzup]
Agreed! :beer:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Everybody needs to REMEMBER that STEEL SOLDIERS is a site for MILITARY VECHILE enthusiast, and the CLASSIFIDES is just a little perk for the members to help find or get rid of things, maybe make a bit of money to further there GREEN ADDCITION. SS is NOT a AD SITE, not CL, EBAY, the PENNY SAVER, ECT., IF people want ad site perks, ect., there are MANY out there that would be HAPPY for you to PAY PER AD so you can enjoy the ad perks

If someone one DOES NOT like the rules or the way things work, very simple fix for this, DONOT PLACE A AD

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like I said I'm playing devils advocate. I really don't care, I'm not a seller. I deleted my wanted ads because, A there a pain to manage and B they have the potential for a long run time.

I was just trying to offer a suggestion or improvement to what you've already done. Which doesn't mean I think your doing a bad job either.

What I don't appreciate is you standing on you soap box yelling at us minions how we can't manage our ads. Then seem apposed to suggestion on how to make it better. I thought providing a tool to view "my ads" would increase the ability to monitor the ads and really it's not difficult to do. At the very least it's another tool you can use against miss-management.

It's not my site so I'll just pull out my USAF issued coloring book and shut up.

I'm what could I know I only sold retail over the internet over the last 5 years.
Ron can only use the tools he has availible , your concerns are not something Ron can change . Any changes of the type your suggesting would have to be done by Admin , You have to remember Ron is just the messenger and is doing a great job compared to the old classifieds.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I agree. I am in favor of the classified ad rules, and I am in favor of strict enforcement of them. That being said, life will be easier for users and moderators alike if the site makes it easier to do what's expected than to break the rules. These computer thingies are supposed to help us do our stuff, not get in our way of doing our stuff. I sit in front of a computer most of my waking hours, and use them to design other ones; unfortunately, for too much of the time I'm working around the computer's problems rather than using it as a tool to help me with my own problems.

My suggestion is thus to not only tell the users what bad things will happen if they break the rules, but to also help them understand how to easily and efficiently follow the rules. The helping part may include some combination of teaching them about the tools that we already have available, and adding/improving tools over time as the site evolves. Let's keep SS the most awesomely-awesomest place on the net for MV enthusiasts to hang out!

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

I can't view my ads without searching, nor can I see statistics of my ad. We don't even have a defined format like ad sites. In reality the new ads aren't ads at all, the old ads would close if you "commit to buy", the new ads are just common threads. With one difference additional rules and moderation.[/QUOTE]

Try posting the WHOLE thread line, so other can see why the answer is what it is., And if you think this is YELLING, you do not KNOW YELLING

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks