• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any M35 owners/members near Southampton, UK?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello to our British SS-crew members: I'm planning to stay in that particular part of the (old)World, WED to SUN, next week. Including Portsmouth, also. Then visiting London and - off course! - spending a few more days at the IWM in Duxford. (hopefully they have lots of US green iron, too!)

If there is anyone near that route, interested to shake (OD-infected!)hands... and do some Reo-talk; just let me know or PM!
:beer:

G.

johnh uk

Hello to our British SS-crew members: I'm planning to stay in that particular part of the (old)World, WED to SUN, next week. Including Portsmouth, also. Then visiting London and - off course! - spending a few more days at the IWM in Duxford. (hopefully they have lots of US green iron, too!)

If there is anyone near that route, interested to shake (OD-infected!)hands... and do some Reo-talk; just let me know or PM!
:beer:

G.
Hello Mate, not sure about the green Iron , but the US Air museum is as they say Awesome ! B52, U2 ,SR71, B29, B17 plus loads more all in one hangar !!!

Hope you have a good visit Mate, at one time I would have jumped at the chance of coming down to Duxford in my pride and joy, however fuel prices are making road trips few and far between ( current exchange rates mean approx 10 dollars for a gallon of diesel!!!) we live about 140 miles from Duxford

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks and good to hear from someone who has been there! Figuring that that hangar alone will take more than a day to see all...!

Regarding fuel prices: I can feel your pain... we pay about USD 9.-/gal for what they call "low sulfur" diesel.

G.

johnh uk

Hello G,

The Warfare centre is definitely worth a visit ,Tanks trucks and rare military stuff ! Duxford needs a full day lots of hangars with different 'collections' I can't wait to go again (been three times already) What days do you expect to go there ?:whistle:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for info!

Expecting to be in Cambridge/ Duxford area from 05/02 until 05/05, accompanied by two more friends (with one being host) and not knowing the exact schedule yet.

Would love to be able to meeting you there, but fully understand your (and everyone's) situation.

Sending PM with my phone number, just in case...

Thanks,
Gerhard

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Gerhard,

I know we are way North of Duxford but have a look at our little museum on line at www.southyorkshireaircraftmuseum.org.uk We are all volunteers and work on a shoestring budget but hey we are happy ! Plus I can display my M35 !..........
Nice place! Would another week be enough to see that alone...!?:)

John, you have shown genuine interest so far and seem to fit well into the role of a good tourist guide....?: imagine you just found a "sponsor" who wants to have you there in Duxford for a day at least; WITH your beautiful M35 off course; and have a good time during dinner, after a long walking-journey...? What if you didn't have to care about fuel and lodging costs...??

Your words: "If at all possible we may get the chance to meet at Duxford "....
My response: YES! It is possible, so let's do it !!! :beer:

You can PM me for details if you wish...

Best,
G.

johnh uk

Hello Gerhard,

Really good to see you and your friends at Duxford yesterday, so sorry I couldn't stay over but Work is really busy right now !

The USAF Hangar is truly awesome ! all that iconic hardware under one roof ! More airpower in that hangar than some countries have in their airforce !!!

Thank you so much for a really enjoyable day and imparting all that Reo technical knowledge, as you can see I am as green as my machine and so much I have to learn !!!!:oops:

I am really envious that you had the chance to go for a trip on the Thames in a DUKW:)

Anyway safe journey home Mate !

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey John, thanks for coming to this sooo FABULOUS, PERFECT meeting point!
It was great to have another Steelsoldier - who actually knows about planes and helicopters! - with me for the whole day, explaining every detail.

Hope you didn't have too much trouble on your way home...?

For everyone having the chance to visit Duxford: be prepared - the Imperial War Museum offers just to much to see... even in 3 days!!
Impressive work they did - and are doing, to preserve historic military vehicles of any kind.

G.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey G,
Hope your trip went well! Any pics.......
Thanks!
Pics..... YES, close to 1000!
Depends what you wanna see... submarines; ships; tanks; trucks; flying machines of all kind; girls....? :)

Just one for now, as a teaser: famous B-17 "Sally B", starting engines & getting ready... she is supposed to take big part of the coming Jubilee Air Show 2012, in just two days!
See the long list of participating aircraft, here.
Stay tuned!

G.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks