• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loading your trailer on your hauling trailer

11b1776

My location isn't providing any fork truck assistance anymore, anyone have a suggestion on how to load them? A winch is all I can think of but that wont keep the hitch from dragging will it? My trailer doesn't have a winch yet. I maybe making more than one trip unfortunately. Any advice, thanks in advance.

rlwm211

If you park your trailer, chock the wheels and also put blocking under the back so it cannot drop, you can back your 'bought' trailers onto the hauling trailer one at a time, if your towing vehicle is big enough to do it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What kind of trailers are you loading on what kind of trailer? I've loaded quite a few M101 type trailers with wood and a come-a-long. I've done tons of stuff with a couple of come-a-longs.

rbeasley66

I've used a winch while loading my trailers. I make a loop with chain from one side of the axle to the other and pull from the center of the chain. With that setup, it makes it easy to steer as the trailer comes up the ramp. The M105's were easier because of the landing gear wheel. The M200's without a landing gear wheel were harder. For those I used a hand truck strapped under the tongue with the hauling foot against the lunette, it worked okay and I could still steer it some to keep it going straight.
I never liked winching it from the lunette, it was hard to steer and it seemed to dig in as it was being pulled up. That's why I prefer to load or unload hooked to the axle.
My experience so far.

rbeasley66

I don't have the photos on my phone of the recovery of my two M105 trailers with a borrowed two vehicle car hauler.
But this is the gooseneck trailer I have now hauling some M200's home. I have a couple of receiver hitches at the front of the trailer that I can slip my winch into for pulling. It's mounted to a receiver hitch plate and works well like that.

Attachments

bebobalhan

Unloading can be "fun" also. A 8000lb come-along from harbor freight is less than $30. I loaded my M105 backward onto the tow trailer. Made unloading easier... I think:roll:

OKCM38CDN

I haul my m-38CDN and M-100 trailer on a 16 foot utility trailer... what I have done is mount a 2500 lb ATV winch in a box on the tounge of the Utility trailer. Then I placed a piece of steel channel (2" wide by 1/2" deep) up the center of the trailer with the flat down. I load the jeep first then winch the trailer up under the rear of the jeep. I use the lunette as it just follows the channel onto the trailer. Oh, I set the front of the M-100 inot the channel to start...

I do this as 90 % of the time I am loading or unloading alone (My son never seems to make it to dad's to help load)...

Hope this helps...

xiongy

If you park your trailer, chock the wheels and also put blocking under the back so it cannot drop, you can back your 'bought' trailers onto the hauling trailer one at a time, if your towing vehicle is big enough to do it.
I've used this technique to unload, but am not that confident enough in my backing up abilities to try to load this way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks