• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacement plastic knob source?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I wasn't sure which forum to put this in................

I have one of the military 24-12 converters for trailers. Plug one end into the 24V vehicle's trailer socket, plug your civilian trailer into the other end and voila, the trailer's 12V stuff works fine.

However, I dropped a tie rod end on it this past weekend and broke the plastic knob you turn to dial the voltage correction up and down.

Does anyone know:

A. Who made these so I can perhaps order another knob?
B. An aftermarket source for such knobs?

Thanks in advance

C

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A knob from an MEP-002 or 3 would be about right.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
If the shaft is 1/4" in diameter (and it probably is), and if you don't mind the new knob possibly not looking identical, then you're in luck: Knobs like that are super common. Your local Radio Shack will probably have something that would work. Electronics distributors like Digi-Key or Mouser Electrionics carry all sorts of knobs. Then there's also eBay, particularly in the electronics and ham radio sections, where you might find some random vintage knob that's just what you want. With a little luck, you might even find an exact replacement.

cluless

Clinto,

If you don't have any luck by the time I get home next week and get back to work. Let me know the size of the shaft. I am sure I have one that will work at work. I have a cabinet full of new knobs some of which are quite old.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am going to measure the shaft tonight-I was busy liberating the city of Carentan last night and couldn't be pulled away from the task.

I have to run to town tonight to swap my oxy/acetylene bottles, when I do, I'll hit my radio shack/hardware store and let you guys know.

Thanks for all the replies.

did the knob or the shaft break?
Just the plastic knob. The shaft is fine. Knob shattered when an NOS MoPar B-body outer toe rod end landed on it from an altitude of 8+ feet.

Do you have a wiring diagram or any information on it?
I have seen some mention of these on the forum, but I haven't seen many in person. I think ferroeguineologist has one too.

It's a military surplus 24-12V converter. It has the military 10 pin connector on one end (this plugs into the 24V towing vehicle) and it had a semi-style 7 pin round (not the flat blade RV style all normal trucks have) on the other end. So it was designed to plug into some kind of 24V military truck, then have a civilian 12V semi-truck type trailer hooked to it. I replaced the 7 pin round connector with a 7 pin RV blade style connector so I could plug all of my and my buddy's car / equipment trailers into it.

It does a good job of allowing ultimate flexibility-any truck, any trailer, any combo therein. But it has one flaw that all the mobile 24-12 converter boxes have: Still no way to operate electric trailer brakes.

If anyone else remembers which thread talked about these, a link would be mighty helpful.

Clinto,

If you don't have any luck by the time I get home next week and get back to work. Let me know the size of the shaft. I am sure I have one that will work at work. I have a cabinet full of new knobs some of which are quite old.
Thanks-I'll let you know.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok, several things:

The shaft is exactly .2500". See pics. The flat side is 180 degrees from where the pointer points.

I shall find a knob at one of the many links ya'll provided. Gracias.

The NSN is 5995-00-950-7685. It has a part # as well, M82001E. Also, see pics.

Will update this when I have more info.

C

Attachments

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok, as usual, SS came through. Radio Shack had a reasonable replacement. Not quite as good as the original but usable.

Mucho gracias fellas

C

Attachments

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am with him i wanna know more about the way it works.
Well, I had to take this thing apart today as it lost the tail lights. Had left and right turn but not just the tail/running lights.

It is pretty basic, a BIG rheostat and a bunch of resistors. A bunch of the smaller resistors broke free and several wires broke free, so I guess I'm going to have to get on with building my 24-12 converter box. Anyhoo, here's the inside:

20180303_165123.jpg20180303_165139.jpg20180303_165204.jpg20180303_165208.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks