• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yet another M38A1 in my sights

jeeplvr247

I just sold my dirt bike which had given me a little extra spending money for my seemingly perpetual search for a M38a1. I have located one that looks pretty good but it is 12V. I know that can pretty severely effect the value so I would probably change it back eventually. I will post some pictures soon so the experts can point out any flaws. What would be some hesitations you guys might have when looking at a 12V conversion?

Thanks

Scrounge41

If you are gonna return it to 24v you probably better figure on buying a wiring harness in your future. Chances are it probably would need it even if it hadn't been changed over.

FrankUSMC

Are you planning on driving it under water? It will be very $$$$ to convert it back, I will bet you a beer, just as much as you will pay for the jeep itself. If you plan on useing it in parades and just driving it, leave it 12 volts. If you want it back 100%, change it to 24 volts. If it was mine, and it was already converted, I would leave it.
Also, if you are ever in "backwoods, USA" and need an eletrical part, there is a good chance the local parts store will have it, but if it is 24 volts, you might start hearing banjo music......
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

jime

I would have bought a 12v, but I'm glad I found a 24v first. I don't know that I would have ever converted a 12v back. Also, it doesn't seem like the 24v brought a premium. It was the same or less than a 12v. As someone said, I think you'll just about double the price by trying to convert.

Disclaimer: I ain't no expert!

jeeplvr247

Thanks for the advise. I think I will go for this one if we can agree on a fair price, I will be sure to post pictures if I get it and just leave it 12V for the time being. I love the one in the SS classifieds but it is miles out of this poor college students budget.

wilfreeman

Yeah, keep it 12v. I, personally, like the fact that you can go to the parts stores and buy just about any part you need for a '70 CJ5. When you are 24v, you'd better have spares in the toolbox under the seat! I can't even find 24v bulbs around here. Like jime said, you won't automatically get a premium for having it 24v - unless you are parting it out!

jeeplvr247

Thanks again for the advise. I am going to pull the trigger on this one. I will post all the details on monday night when she arrives at the new homestead.

jeeplvr247

One more question for the experts out there. I will be towing the jeep home on a car hauler so I will probably be doing about 75mph, should I take the top off or can it handle those kinds of speeds?

wilfreeman

Soft top? Take it off for sure! If towing with a tow dolly, take the rear driveshaft off and stay at around 60-65mph. Just take the top off for a trailer haul at 75mph.

jeeplvr247

I will bring a camera with me and post all of the recovery pics. T-25 hours until departure. I am graduating with my undergrad degree tonight so this jeep is my graduation present to myself.

wilfreeman

That's great - CONGRATULATIONS! That's for your accomplishment and your new toy. And, no offense to this forum, may I suggest that you join the http://www.willysmjeeps.com forum. It is dedicated to the M38 and M38a1 jeeps only - a lot of knowledge there.

Last edited:

jeeplvr247

Yes it is a'53. You don't know what a pastie is? You have to get around. They are huge in the UP. It is a pastry that is filled with meat, potatoes and vegetables and usually enjoyed with ketchup or gravy. You can't swing a dead cat around in the UP without hitting a little pastie shop somewhere.

Scrounge41

My bad-I was thinking this-Pasties (sing. 'pastie'[citation needed] or 'pasty') are patches that cover a woman's nipples and areolae which are affixed with adhesive. Though pasties are commonly associated with burlesque and erotic entertainment, they are also at times worn as an undergarment and occasionally as beachwear. My ex was from the Detroit area and I've had some really good Polish dishes from her side of the family, but hadn't heard of the pastie (food).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks