• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dinger65 M38A1 Jeep

zout

Got back onto Dinger65's jeep today.
Have his full exhaust system in - coolant sensor - cleaned and assembled what parts he had for the 24v distributor.

Took inventory of what he needs to be able to at least get this baby fired up besides all the remainder of body parts/gauges etc he needs to finish the assembly.

I got Debs wiring partially installed and waiting on the package from Eriks with the connectors and 14ga wire.
I did take and do a continuity test of the light plug to what wires were there and missing the metal tag # plate and used the 3m number tape you see here to get them marked as I have a lousy memory - so when the package comes all I have to do it be Commander Warp and whoop er done.

Dinger65 brought his other grandson along whom was a returning vet from Iraq as well. He was a SAW operator -too bad he did not bring it home so Dinger could get rid of the fake and have a real one.

Attachments

zout

Nothing done with Dingers - but Debs is all wired and working great. Speedo cable to hook onto the transmission yet - re-run a vacuum line to the wiper valve on the windshield frame - get some ammo cans tied up - fuel can tied up and teach her the hand signals for making right turn - left turn - stop and whoa before she hits the big streets.

Grandson came down wanting to make some whitcha midigger and use grandpas tools so I let him at it with no fingers lost or eyes punched out.

Attachments

zout

With some recent changes this week to the perspective of getting Dinger65's jeep completed - it appears at this time some major alterations in plans are to happen.

I will know more here in a couple days if all this has taken place between the two parties involved as I am only the knucklehead builder and I want to stay out of the dealings to some degree (If ya know what i mean).

If the event takes place as it now appears it might - Dinger65's M38A1 COULD be completed and rolling easily by the end of June in full array.

This will be a far cry of how this jeep originated. Stay tuned.

I also see some jeep parts that will be coming up for sale as well after the build is completed.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
With some recent changes this week to the perspective of getting Dinger65's jeep completed - it appears at this time some major alterations in plans are to happen.

I will know more here in a couple days if all this has taken place between the two parties involved as I am only the knucklehead builder and I want to stay out of the dealings to some degree (If ya know what i mean).

If the event takes place as it now appears it might - Dinger65's M38A1 COULD be completed and rolling easily by the end of June in full array.

This will be a far cry of how this jeep originated. Stay tuned.

I also see some jeep parts that will be coming up for sale as well after the build is completed.
A little birdie told me things WILL happen much sooner than you thought Bro!!:)

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Update

News flash...spotter rounds fired, guns registered on target, will fire for effect Saturday morning.:shock:

Prolly have breakfast at CC's around 08:00hrs then E&E northeast with donor jeep in tow.:)

Should have MOST of what you need to whip Dinger's jeep into shape.:beer:

zout

If PB had gotten this one before Dinger bougth it he would be a partial rich man.
Here is the story:

Upon delivery of the M38A1 from PB and the CAMO crew and an AWESOME lunch it was time to get busy unloading - it was a flip of the coin who was going to move first as lunch was filling and just wanted to take a nap after that, Dinger and I had been at the garage preparing since 7 am and already to call it quits.

Camo dropped off another persons vehicle that Dinger made a deal on outside of anyone here concerned and PB was only the delivery BOY.

Bringing ya up to speed 24 hrs after delivery:
See that BAG O MONEY - that is what I found after cleaning out all the cubby holes and hide away spots and taking trash off it - I see something twitch and was going to blow it out with the pressure washer (as that was what I was doing at the time) but then I see GREEN. I think Deb counted $117 dollars and FINDERS KEEPERS - too bad - unless you can give me the serial numbers of the bills they are all mine. Tell that other fella Dinger got it from he better remember his hiding spots - can I say HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Got pressure washed - got as far as I wanted to with the sand blaster - the rest is all sander work from here on out.

Going to start swapping brakes off his other chassis along with pulling the engine and trans with the transfer case - drivelines and get them into this unit sooner or later.

The other chassis is a 1968 era frame and we were making into a 38A1 - but now he has a great chassis - tub and other items he was missing - so there will be parts left over to sell once done.

Now before ya all bitch - here are some pics. NOTICE THE TEMP GUN TEMP WHILE I was sandblasting today.
It was 109 when I started.

Attachments

zout

Few more

Attachments

zout

Here is the status of the body.
Have all the new brake lines and hoses swapped over - brake shoes and cylinders on the existing unit that was purchsed are in terrific condition and nearly look new. The system when bled activated all the cylinders to full stroke and fluid cleared with hard pedal at the finish of the work.

His new master cylinder is all changed out as well.

I expect to have the exterior of the body done by Sat night and the engine/trans pulled from the other unit as well.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking great![thumbzup]

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good job Commander. I am glad to see you are moving along a "Warp" speed. You make it seem so easy but experience tells me otherwise. 4 and 1/2 months and counting. :-D

zout

Thanks - its appreciated.

Dinger still has a few basics to purchase to be able to fire up the engine and also a clutch release cable needs to be replaced while I have the engine out of the other one and in the air to place into this one.

Got a tiny bit done tonight :)popcorn:) but did not drag the camera down with me.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man- Buy a vehicle, and get 117 dollars back...... Ain't America great !!:mrgreen:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks