• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who makes a Jacobs-type engine brake for the 250 Cummins?

Steamynachos

I looked at the base of my Hiab but the data plates are painted over so I will have to scrape them this summer :D what I found on the Internet about my crane is that it's rated for 18000 KG. I don't know how many ton that is?? I added a few more pics one is of the on/off switch and 3 way switch in the cab marked Jacobs engine brake the other is of my nose bump and last is a different angle of the pods they say Jacobs on them but I cant find a part number or any other info on them I will look again this weekend.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the 550-3 mounted on a Unimog.
According to the owner:
Max hat recht,

es ist ein HIAB 550-3, Bj. mitte 70er Jahre

Technische Daten:

Bei Ausladung 1,7m, Hub 3250 kg
2,5m, Hub 2200kg
3,4m, Hub 1620kg
5,0m, Hub 1100kg.

Habe ich bei mir auf einem U403 montiert.

It's in German, but you can see the numbers.

Attachments

littlebob

What about a Jake Brake for the multifuel in the 2.5 ton? I don't think I'll need one, but I would love to make the noise . Anybody know if that is possible?
littlebob

Arny

Yes, you can put just 2 sets of brakes on just the rear 2 heads. Go to the following link and type in your CPL and it will tell you if there are brakes available.If you have an automatic, you will need a converter lock-up sender.
http://www.jakebrake.com/products/hd.php
Really interesting - are you sure about that?
The Jacobs support told me once that you shouldn't put Jakes heads on only cylinders 1&2 + 3&4 or 3&4 + 5&6 because if you turn on both you would bring on uneven load on the crankshaft and have a lot of vibrations.
Usually when you have the 3 stages it's
1. 3&4
2. 1&2 + 5&6
3. all three

I would be happy if that 1&2 + 3&4 arrangement worked out because i cannot put a jakes head on cylinder 5&6 because the cap reaches over them :-(

74M35A2

“Jake” engine compression brake is a hydraulic teeter-totter. It uses the valve actuation of one cylinder as a hydraulic pump to burp another cylinder’s exhaust valves open momentarily at the top of its compression stroke. This prevents that cylinder from acting like an air spring. It essentially turns the engine into a big air compressor of 100% waste, momentarily. This is why they work in pairs, and is a bridge mechanism over sets of rocker arms. The solenoid on them simply opens or closes the flow connecting 2 cylinders rocker arm pistons. Important this is done on decel (fuel cut) only, otherwise it will cause misfire.

Jake brake actuators are made by Jacob’s manufacturing. They are not available for an LDT/S engine. They should be available for the Cummins 855. They can be setup to activate in stages. I installed these on an ISL engine, and studied it to a medium level before putting something on that I did not understand.

1EA26C3A-B15F-4678-97D5-DECD6FA2846A.jpg

Separately, an engine exhaust brake can be decently effective as well. Cummins lists their exhaust brake for an ISCL (8.9L) as being able to absorb up to
164hp of braking energy at the governed 2200rpm. The compression braking (ie Jake brake) absorption ability is somewhat higher coming in at about 200hp of absorption @ 2200r's. Need to check and possibly uprate exhaust valve springs when doing exhaust brake though. This is an interesting chart: https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/qsol/products/newparts/jacobs_md_nondodge.html An ISC (8.3L) is able to exhaust brake about 151hp of absorption energy @ 2200r's. For Cummins medium duty engine sizes, compression brake actuators were not available until they went to 4 valve "I" series electronic engines. Jake brakes for heavy duty (big bore) engines have been available for a long time, even back to 2 stroke Detroit Diesels.

I don't know any of this data for an 855 engine, but if you look it up for a modern ISX, it should get you in the ballpark. The above was just useful to illustrate the difference in exhaust vs compression braking ability, and a 2 second tutorial of how it works. Simp and a few others here are successfully using Jake engine compression brakes on their 855 based engines.

Attachments

Last edited:

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just for reference here is an excerpt from the Jacobs 25B installation instructions concerning the use of only 2 jake heads. I'm thinking I will roll the dice and mount 3-4 and 5-6 jake heads since that is the easier option for my M813.

Installation-Manual-for-Cummins-Models-25B-15_pages-to-jpg-0001.jpg

Arny

That's exactely what I was reading before I contacted the Jacobs support :)
Would you let us know about your experience if you did mount those two heads? Would really be interested in that, since as I said I don't have space above cylinders 5&6

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installing brakes on only two heads has been done for a long time, they work, but not as well as a 3 head set up, they sound funny too. I personally installed 2 head set ups on a 50 truck fleet of Volvos that had no room for the 3rd head installation, never saw an issue with the brakes or the engine. Many years ago, Hadley Auto Transport bought some used Ford L9000 trucks with no brakes and I installed only 2 sets on 4 of their trucks due to the doghouse configuration. They worked with no issues, but went on to have custom dog houses made to clear a 3rd brake because 2 heads weren't enough to hold back a loaded car hauler.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks