• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Camping Safety in Trees

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took the M1010 out to the pond today and found this tree laying on a shed. No one was around when the tree went down but the shed was used as an off-grid shower last year...and that would have been one heck of a surprise with soap in your eyes.
As you can see in the pictures the tree snapped off and fell between 2 trailers. Things could have been worse.

So just a SAFETY reminder when venturing out this summer and camping in tall trees.

If it gets windy, get out.

We've had several years of drought and the wind has been seemingly more aggressive over the last few years.

Happy Camping

Attachments

nk14zp

Took the M1010 out to the pond today and found this tree laying on a shed. No one was around when the tree went down but the shed was used as an off-grid shower last year...and that would have been one heck of a surprise with soap in your eyes.
As you can see in the pictures the tree snapped off and fell between 2 trailers. Things could have been worse.

So just a SAFETY reminder when venturing out this summer and camping in tall trees.

If it gets windy, get out.

We've had several years of drought and the wind has been seemingly more aggressive over the last few years.

Happy Camping
I think that would have turned that shower shed into the latrine had I been in it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even a fairly small limb can kill you. It's best not to even enter the woods when it's windy. Too many dead limbs and such just hanging there ready to fall. I do go in the woods when it's windy but I'm constantly looking up at the treetops for hanging or dead limbs before I walk under them.

There have been loggers killed around here by limbs no bigger than your forearm.

FormerNewMVGuy

Thanks for the reminder!
I live a couple of miles from a state park where camping is permited, Last year a 90Ft sycamore came down on a tent with a young family inside . The young father was killed instantly and his wife was pinned for about 45 minutes.
There three young children escaped without injury!

It is know joke, be safe when you are out camping!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Camping Safety

"High Wind" 'Google News' stories are happening more often as we are all .....'listening to the winds of change' and something about Golky Park. It's very sad when such a pleasurable experience turns tragic, very sad. One extreme to another.

We keep a vehicle available to bug-out of the bush and find a safe area when we're unsure of the winds/ lightning. Awnings get folded up and everything else gets tied down. You still need to be out of the bush because the Honcho roof will not hold up a tree.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=169Z_pv5Xns[/media]

that must have been a bad time to be outside.. glad no one was hurt

Thanks, we're glad too and consider ourselves very lucky.

The following pics were from a "blow-down" two years ago when 20 family and friends huddled on the edge of the lake while trees around us were snapping off 20-50' above the ground.

When trees fall in the forest like that, they most certainly make a sound.

Having a few sober folks on the team for some clear thinking on 'Emergency Preparedness' doesn't hurt either.

Ensure you "Know Where You Are" as part of the 'Camping Plan', before you need to call for help. This can be done either by Legal Land Description or GPS Coordinates. When "Emergency Services" are needed, they require detailed information on the type of "Services Required" and "Your Location".
I'm always sure the kids know how to use "Communication Devices" and can find "Our Location" on GPS and know how to talk to "Emergency Services". IF I get drunk and have a heart attack as a tree falls on me, I need someone else to be prepared.

The kids are taught where we keep the Fire Extinguishers and how to use them. Everyone takes First Aid and the "Kit" is inventoried before we leave town.

With all that taken care of and in capable hands, it's time for a beer.:beer:

Attachments

the buddah

now when i was in germany in the 80s we would park our jeeps next to large trees in hope we wouldnt be crushed by tanks at night while sleeping just saying:beer:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's spring, nearly three years after we last had this discussion. I hope that means all has been good! Bumping the camping safety in trees thread with a removal video. If possible, camp next to a large friend.

P4260320.jpg

If you're setting up camp in the the big trees and the winds come up, have an emergency escape plan to an open area, until the wind slows down. Taking the camper/trailer/tent/MV with you, is not always an option when a big wind comes up. If possible, have a second vehicle prepared for a short road-trip. Use the storm opportunity to find an open field and watch the wind blow, a safe distance from tall objects.

After experiencing a few big wind storms here, the decision to vacate the bush is always made quickly. If the trees are moving, so are we.

We got lucky with a gentle leaner so we're just hoping everyone enjoys the free lesson and has a safe camping season.

ccdma push 15 005.jpgccdma push 15 004.jpgP4260317.jpg

After performing a hazard assessment, calculating loads, control and lever points,....we still struggled for over 2 minutes to get it off safely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dU37ryfTak

Last edited:

Hainebd

Years ago we truck camped in Nova Scotia. Our last day we want to take the CAT across to the U.S. But. Hurricane had shut it down. We found a camp ground and had a choice of open field or trees. We choose trees to break the wind. Luckily that worked for us. Trees down all over except were we parked. I agree with camping safety and bring this post back as a reminder. With our weather changing we need to adapt as do our preparedness for natural and mam made events. Be safe, be prepared, be in control, think ahead and live. Thank you.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another 3 years has passed so let's bump the blow down thread. Just a reminder to get a good look at the trees around you when you set up camp. We're still writing down the local emergency numbers, our exact location and the location of the nearest medical facilities so everyone at the party, sober or not, can dispatch emergency support. Be wind aware out there.

This one is funny and we should enjoy the moments I get to jab the relatives.

My Brother-in-law of 30+ years doesn't like other folks using his barbecue at the G749 farm campground. I thought it was a heritage thing but it turns out he just doesn't like barbecue sauce on his grill. He's not a bad guy, but after 30+ years of not being able to use his barbecue, Carma caught up with him.

We had a big wind and got lucky with the exception of his barbecue. Right through the middle of the handles. This was a dead Poplar we talked about taking down.
Check your set up areas for dead trees and have an evacuation plan in case of wind storms.

P6150926.jpgP6150923.jpgP6150924.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Blow the man down

My first camper was placed on this spot over a decade ago. It's just a juicy reminder to pick your camping locations with horse shoes shoved up the decision as far as possible.
No humans were around to hear it fall but I'm guessing the camper screamed a little.

P8050006.jpgP8050005.jpgP8050007.jpg

This isn't just luck anymore. This 100' Picea pungens tickled the front of the camper just enough to brush some dirt off.

P8050011.jpg

The tree had a wide choice of things to crush.

P8050069.jpgP8050068.jpg

By the time Mr. barbecue pulled out the chainsaw, Goose was on board to put a touch of load on the tree because safety is a 12,000 lb. anchor.

P8050010.jpgP8050012.jpg

This is the first time we used Goose for tree removal and I'm glad we had her. The tree was heavy but I think the smiles show how a job can be real easy with the right 6x6.

If you hear the wind blow, pack up and go!

P8050017.jpgP8050013.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks