• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Wrinkle" in My Paint Plans

1943ht

Completing a couple of restorations projects this week.. down to the final details. Using GCI Semi Gloss Enamel over a good enamel primer .. all of my metal was blasted and cleaned before being primed and primer and paint went on without any problems :beer:

Finished my Jerry Cans and started to put my markings on the first can (Stencils) .. Using a rattle can spray paint (Valspar Enamel) .. as soon as the rattle can paint hit my GCI paint it wrinkled :shock:

Frustration level is high .. and I am concerned as I was ready to finish my M101A1 (stencils) this week and want to avoid any damage to my GCI paint on the trailer :(

What is with that :confused:

I would be most gratefull for any advise on how to prevent these wrinkles .. and advice on what paint I should be using to do my stencils. I will also be doing a stencil set on My M37 (New Paint, again GCI Enamel)

//R//
Mark

Srjeeper

Let it cure....

The older style enamels like GCI need time to 'cure' before any additional paint markings are added. The recommended cure time is 30 days, but I've heard of folks getting away with it in two weeks.

My dad use to help speed the cure process by running cold water over smaller items a couple times a day for a week then they would hold up to additional paint. 2cents

Good luck..[thumbzup]

Last edited:

1943ht

Thank You both for your help ... that makes sense, as both projects were painted within the last week .. OK will wait for a little cure time .. will provide a follow up report in a few weeks :beer:

Bill W

Put her outside in the sun and it'll cure faster.

This is one reason why I like to use a hardener, I was able to sand and reshoot the door on my deuce within one day of painting it

135gmc

Any conventional enamel will need time to cure - especially if you want to spray anything on a large, flat surface, like a hood. When you do stencil, watch out for a heavy coat (either the OD or the stencil color), and use a slow drying stencil color instead of something like a lacquer. You want to spray on very light coats as well.

Park it in the sun, and wait.

1943ht

Parked in the "Very Limited Sunshine" here in western WI :( .. Supposed to warm up by the end of the week (60* here today Partly Cloudy) and more sunshine between thunderstorms .. will run in and out of the shop as required!

Have done stencils before on my M818 and my Half Track, the HT was on the original WWII Paint .. talk about cure time baby!

I am a big fan of the several light coats method .. cuts way down on sags and runs (LOL) ..

Will the Enamal Rattle Can paint be OK to use after some cure time for my stencils ... or do you all prefer to mix and apply with a paint gun?

This is my 1st "large piece" project doing my own paint, body work etc .. It shows by my questions, but I am always up regards learning a better way.

(Pic is Pre: Wheel Nuts Painted Black and new wire harness / lights installed which has now been completed)

Attachments

Last edited:

Srjeeper

I used flat white enamel primer in spray cans for all mine and have had no problems over GCI, and that's been done 5+ years.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks