• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Calling all Generator Owners

David Sims

what I look for when purchasing from GL

"what you would look for when purchasing a generator especially from GL."

I look for a:
1) low hour unit. Granted I never really know the machines history or actual hours. And yes, hour meters are sometimes field replaced when they break. For me, if the 3 screws that hold the hour meter are rusty and have not had a screwdriver on them in years, that is a good indicator.

2) tag indicating the unit has been remanufactured. It may say "tier 2 RESET by Letterkenny Army Depot", it should list the serial number and number of hours on the unit at that date.

3) no broken/missing parts or abuse like forklift damage or bent sheetmetal.

Isaac-1

I agree the rusty screw on the hour meters is a good potential indication, but I will not pay a major price premium for a very low hour unit, and will only avoid VERY HIGH hour ones. I find there can be good deals be found on mid hour generators say in the 1,000 - 3,000 hour range, keep in mind that for the 1800 rpm models like the MEP-002a and MEP-003a that the military considers them issuable at up to 5,000 hours, and rebuilds them before problems are expected. Over on the Smokstak board it is common to hear references to the civilian version of these same engines going well over 10,000 hours between rebuilds, and some select examples going over 20,000 hours.

Another thing to watch out for that I have been seeing more and more of lately on GL auctions are makeshift field repairs, things like wrong or improvised hoses, extra holes cut for wiring conduit, etc. I recently spotted a MEP-002a on GL that had the speed adjustment knob removed and replaced with what looked like a power line splicing block to hold it set at the cable at right speed.

Ike

storeman

I agree on the hour meter not meaning a whole lot, just an indicator. I paid far too much for a pretty unit which I intended to keep and which I'm still troubleshooting.

Jerry auaaua

Munchies

The aluminum panels ID tags and the aluminum part of the bi-metal aerouquip fuel line fittings can be telling regarding maintenance. I lucked into some RESET units with the tags hidden near the glow plug. Bought them @ 1200hr's EA because the aluminum was purty. went for average price, got 8 year old fresh resets.

Last edited:

trukhead

I recovered My new M116A2-MEP-002A 2007reman generator set. I have down loaded the TM's and have perused them. I have also read and subscribed to various generator threads and gotten familiar with do's and DONT's of MEP-002A operation.
So this pre-evening I went out and opened the hind-end curtain and sat and looked at the generator set an became one with it. I found a certain energy in the experience.:cool:

I found the throttle, the ground strap, filters, checked the oil, looked at the lugs where the juice flows, contemplated how I want it set up, who is going to install the lockout switch on the pole.......:D

I 've decided I am going to clean all the ground strap connections and dielectric grease them as well as add another ground strap from the gen set mounting lug directly to the copper rods that will go into the ground and the pole. I am also going to do the checklist from some of the threads and out of the TM's prior to staring it.:idea:

I am wondering about how the juice will go from the gen set to the tansfer-lockout switch to the meter box but that is what professional electricians are for. I am wondering if a breaker box is in order on the trailer? Or a big plug in cable, Hmmm. I can't wait for all the ducks to be in a row and stars aligned and when the fat lady sings so I can fire this rig up and see if it works!! I know one thing, DON't IDLe IT, RUN IT at 60 cycles!!! It has 6 hours on the clock so I'm hoping the techs and the guys who used it before I got it didn't break it in those 6 hours.

New Picture (2).jpgNew Picture (3).jpg

I just used the GL pictures cause it's too dark to go take new pictures.:eek:

and I figured I am going to put a cable clamp on the throttle cable when it is in about the 59 and 3/4 cycles while it is running no load so it won't get idled down. I also figured that at that setting there is room to bump it up as the load is installed. I also figured I'd use it every couple of months to keep fresh fuel in it and keep the moisture out of it.

Last edited:

Trapperman

So you get your new (to you) MEP-002 or MEP-003 home and get her fired up. What's the best way to put a load on it for testing? What are you guys using to load her up?

Thanks,

Trapperman

Isaac-1

For the smaller sized 3-5KW generators it is hard to beat cube heaters and hair dryers at 1,200 - 1,500 watts each they make nice incremental loads, and are fairly portable, for larger units old electric cook tops are a cheap option.

Ike

n1oty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the smaller sized 3-5KW generators it is hard to beat cube heaters and hair dryers at 1,200 - 1,500 watts each they make nice incremental loads, and are fairly portable, for larger units old electric cook tops are a cheap option.

Ike

This. I have a CEP distribution box connected to the generator and run a bunch of 1500 watt fan heaters off the distribution box for loads. Do not run off the convenience outlet.

John

DieselBob

So you get your new (to you) MEP-002 or MEP-003 home and get her fired up. What's the best way to put a load on it for testing? What are you guys using to load her up?

Thanks,

Trapperman
I use a very simple 55 gallon drum filled with water and 2 cheap 4500 watt water heater elements. simple and inexpensive.

Attachments

couchilla

Don't know if this is the right place to ask this question. Does anyone know of a civilian replacement for radiator cap on MEP004A? And if this post is in wrong place let me know where to post question. Thanks for any help.

storeman

Am back from Alaska...fabulous Bucket List trip/cruise!

All GL sites I've been to will let you carry a socket wrench with an extension and a 5/8" socket (if not a whole set) to inspect a generator. Use the 5/8 to turn the fan drive bolt clockwise and counter-clockwise (you won't hurt the engine) and see if you get good compression on cycles in both directions. That should eliminate internal engine concerns except for valve adjustments.

Look in the control box to see if the AC voltage regulator is there and isn't hanging by loose bolts. (First one I bought had no regulator and I didn't know enough to look inside the control box.)

If previewing by the video, look closely to see that there are nuts, not holes, on the left side of the control box. Nuts would indicate the VR is there.

Based on several units, about which a member communicated with me recently, check to see if the AC control box is complete with the studs and nuts if you are able to personally preview.

If you see any loose hanging wiring with connectors disconnected, beware and figure out where they were supposed to go.

Pray.

Jerry

BTW: One more obvious thing I missed on my first unit, if able to personally inspect and the glow plugs look like they have mated with the head with super-thick rust, they probably have done so and wil be a tough removal, if at all. I had to have one drilled out to remove and new threads installed. Not cheap.

Last edited:

Kermit The Frog

I'll throw my 2 cents in. On my MEP-003 I did what one of the earlier posts mentioned and changed the air, fuel and oil filters. Because of the crud in the fuel tank of the my first MEP-003 and the rust in the second MEP-003 I disconnect the fuel line that goes from the tank to the pumps and the return line from the injection pump and stick them in a jug of FRESH diesel with a good shot of Sea Foam. I run the pumps until I get clean fuel coming out of the return line. Since off road diesel is dyed red that's easy to see. BT Post on the smokstack site suggested pulling the glow plugs and squirting some oil in the hole a day or so before you hit the starter. I also make sure the main breaker is off until I know everything is running good.

Because of health problems my two generators sat for three years before I started them, but they started right up.

I was able to get my pressure washer down into the fuel tank that had the crud in it and I got it pretty clean. I did blow three holes in the bottom, but, it is much better to find the holes then rather than when you filled the tank with fresh fuel. I am not sure if I will be that lucky on the second one. There was so much rust the retainer chain for the cap was rusted in half.

Joe Roach
Crestview FL

dependable

When screening GL units, watch out for missing paint (ie rust patches) on the gen heads of otherwise well painted units. Could mean there is a fried winding. Also, try not to buy a 400hz unit if that is not your intention.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks