• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 rear lights not working.

maxpanic

I think I messed up something a while back working in my dash of the m1008.

My rear emergency flashers, rear turn signals and brake lights don't work.
Now what do those three sets of lights all have in common? A relay perhaps?

If anyone knows of the obvious solution that would help. I must have missed something when I had the whole dashboard open when I was troubleshooting my gen 2 light not working.

Thanks for the help.

maxpanic

I do have the black out lights on correctly. The rest of the lights work great ie. tail lights, reverse lights, headlights, front signal lights, all work fine. Its just the brake lights and left and right rear signal lights and emergency flashers which is really just the both rear signal lights at the same time. The worst problem I always have is taking the schematic and locating the parts in the car. it looks like I have a good connection on the light green wire from the rear light socket to the light green wire on the dimmer switch. What does that dimmer switch do? it isn't the dash board dimmer since that is built into the head light switch, right?

mistaken1

Yes the dimmer just controls the interior lights. (the switch itself controls the lights)

If you activate the flasher and have front lights flashing but not back lights you could start tracing at the back lights working forward until you find power.

You have already replaced both flasher units correct?

maxpanic

I have tested the flashers by taking the ones out the of m1008 and putting them into my m1009. The m1009 works fine with the m1008 flashers so that isn't it. I am confused why the light green wire at the rear socket that should cause the lights to go on is going to the dimmer as in warhogs picture you posted.

mistaken1

According to the wiring diagram the light green wire at the taillight area is for the backup lights and it routes to the backup switch.

In the wiring diagram the light green wire at the dimmer switch with the tan and yellow wires is for the headlight high beam. That dimmer switch is the high/low beam switch.

In the wiring diagram the dark green wire at the main light switch is the panel lights (controlled by a rheostat aka dimmer switch).

The dome (courtesy) light dimmer switch (rheostat) is built into the light switch, the white wire.

Last edited:

maxpanic

Thanks for the help Mistaken1. It turns out this was indeed a self inflicted wound. This is the result of not bolting down the fuse box. there are 2 bolts on opposite corners of the fuse box. If you don't tighten them down then the rear flashers, signals and brake lights don't work. I am surprised this hasn't been posted about before.

Turns out that before I figured that out I tore the whole dash board apart and since I had taken out the gauges I thought it would be the perfect time to change a bad bulb on the dash for the turn signal. swapped that out and now neither dashboard signal lights work, <Insert slamming head against wall icon here.>

mistaken1

A lot of times the issue with dash lights are corroded connections on the lamp holders, where the wires mate to the film or the film itself. I believe warthog has documented cleaning up the gauge/light electrical film and connections.

This is warthog's:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/46054-cucv-instrument-cluster-decoded.html
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/electrical/43351-cucv-instrument-cluster-repair.html

1stsarge did one as well:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/52821-instrument-cluster-cleanup.html

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks