• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Failed MD CDL Class B due to improper vehicle!

Stan Leschert

Way to go!

The trucks that we own and wish to drive are NOT the things that the state examiners are qualified to test us on.

If you wish to get your ticket stamped, rent or borrow a commercial truck of the appropriate GVW.

Trying to educate a "Snivel Servant" about a truck that they will never see again,
or ever understand ....

is kind of like Mud Wrestling a pig.

It wastes your time, and the Pig likes the mud time.

Work on their lowest common denomiator,
and let them do a test, that they are qualified to pass you on.

They are not all Evil ...

but retraining them for rare trucks is just not happening!

Never give them a chance to say "NO!"

"I don't Know" is the same thing, but it's only a very rare person who will say it!

And they still won't pass you!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Way to go!

The trucks that we own and wish to drive are NOT the things that the state examiners are qualified to test us on.

If you wish to get your ticket stamped, rent or borrow a commercial truck of the appropriate GVW.

Trying to educate a "Snivel Servant" about a truck that they will never see again,
or ever understand ....

is kind of like Mud Wrestling a pig.

It wastes your time, and the Pig likes the mud time.

Work on their lowest common denomiator,
and let them do a test, that they are qualified to pass you on.

They are not all Evil ...

but retraining them for rare trucks is just not happening!

Never give them a chance to say "NO!"

"I don't Know" is the same thing, but it's only a very rare person who will say it!

And they still won't pass you!

LOL, Stan! You have a way with words :beer:

Ajax MD

According to both the MVA & SHA, a non-commercial CDL only permits you to drive specific big vehicles like emergency vehicles, farm tractors, big RV's etc (list can be found on the MVA's website). Even though my registration is historic, the vehicle is still considered a commercial vehicle and isn't called out in the non-commercial list so a non-commercial CDL wouldn't work in this case.

Bonte
I've been doing more research into upgrading to a NON-commercial, Class B in Maryland. Bonte's statement above really surprised me but I did find similar wording in the DL-151 that seems to support Bonte's statement.

This means obtaining and maintaining a MedCert for a recreational, antique? Good grief.
The DL-151 states in Section 1.2 Medical Documentation, that you must declare what kind of commerce you will be engaged in, for the purpose of gathering the proper medical documentation. I'm not conducting any commerce!

On the tricky topic of brakes, the DL-151 does have a provision for hydraulic brakes. I would have the "Z" Restriction on my Class B license:

(Z) - No full air brake equipped CMV:
If an applicant performs the skills test in a vehicle equipped with air over hydraulic brakes, the State must indicate on the CDL, if issued, that the person is restricted from operating a CMV equipped with any braking system operating fully on the air brake principle.
I'd love to know what Bonte declared for his intended type of "commerce" in order to get out of providing a Federal Medical Examiner's certificate.

Obviously the operation of larger antique military vehicles for pleasure/parades etc. has slipped through the cracks of this process.

snowtrac nome

I don't see any proper info here for your problem. that said congratulations on passing I have held a class a for over 20 years now. first your park brake valve ( the big yellow square on point handle) should have popped out around 15 lbs the 900 5 ton doesn't have that instead you have a tractor protection valve and spring brake over ride . The spring brake is the failsafe brake cans in the rear there are 2 sections in them, the first would be your service diaphragm, and the second id the spring brake or maxie brake. the service brakes take truck air pressure to apply the brakes the, the fail safe side has a big spring in it to apply the brake in the event air pressure is lost. That big spring is known as the spring brake the 900 series 5 ton has 2 emergency brakes on it, the drive line brake and spring brake actuated by the parking brake lever. the spring brake override is there to over ride the spring brakes so the driver can check the function of the driveline brake. The spring brake valve wont pop out the tractor protection valve should But you cant check it with out a trailer. Because the 90 series 5 ton does not have a brake valve that will pop out at 25 psi they might be able to not properly test you The dot guys wont care they just check not applicable when they do an inspection. I hope this helps you I would expect some leniency from dmv as you are testing in your primary vehicle but don't count on it when some one has to test by the book

Ajax MD

Hang on guys, I have NOT passed my CDL. That's Bonte, the original poster.

I'm doing research on how to upgrade to a Class B and I wanted Non-commercial. Bonte's statement seems to indicate that you can't go non-commercial with a military truck.
Here's an added wrinkle: When Maryland titles a FMV with Historic tags, the GVWR is listed as "00/NA" which indicates that the truck cannot be used for commercial purposes.

So here's the conundrum:

- The truck does not meet Maryland's list of exemptions from a Commercial license. I am expected to declare on paperwork what kind of commerce I will engage in (inter/intrastate exempt/nonexempt)
- My tag and title expressly prohibit me from using the truck for commercial purposes

Ha!

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try to see if you Can rent an air brake type civilian rig near by. But what is strange is there are hundreds of MVs that are in MD, can't believe none of them were used to get a Cdl. Like stated, also try another DMV, maybe some one in the local clubs and area might know which one is more MV friendly!

>

Ajax MD

Try to see if you Can rent an air brake type civilian rig near by. But what is strange is there are hundreds of MVs that are in MD, can't believe none of them were used to get a Cdl. Like stated, also try another DMV, maybe some one in the local clubs and area might know which one is more MV friendly!

>
Sure, there are lots of MVs in Maryland. Many of them are 2.5 tons which only need an ordinary Class C license that everyone has. I dunno what the 5 ton people are doing.

My truck, and air brakes aren't really the issue here. The issue is, I don't want a commercial license. I don't want to deal with getting MedCerts.
I want a NON-commercial license, yet there is a slight gray area about driving my truck with a non-commercial Class B license.

snowtrac nome

>
the 916 trucks, hemtt and fmtv all use a commercial park brake system. I would think an excerpt from the tm describing the check for the function of both parking brakes would be enough to demonstrate you know your truck with a verbal step by step of how to do it on a commercial truck. sometimes exceptions like that are left out, and the poor person giving the test doesn't have the authority to make the decision.

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been doing more research into upgrading to a NON-commercial, Class B in Maryland. Bonte's statement above really surprised me but I did find similar wording in the DL-151 that seems to support Bonte's statement.

This means obtaining and maintaining a MedCert for a recreational, antique? Good grief.
The DL-151 states in Section 1.2 Medical Documentation, that you must declare what kind of commerce you will be engaged in, for the purpose of gathering the proper medical documentation. I'm not conducting any commerce!

On the tricky topic of brakes, the DL-151 does have a provision for hydraulic brakes. I would have the "Z" Restriction on my Class B license:

I'd love to know what Bonte declared for his intended type of "commerce" in order to get out of providing a Federal Medical Examiner's certificate.

Obviously the operation of larger antique military vehicles for pleasure/parades etc. has slipped through the cracks of this process.

I swore I read something about excepted or non excepted

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks